Any way to get more range on IR TV 2 remote?

Muckrak3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Texas
Edit: Title should be 'Any way to get more range on UHF TV 2 remote?'

I have a Vip722. The TV2 remote is UHF and it doesn't work reliably. TV2 is in a room on the other side of the house from the receiver. We have a certain 'sweet spot' that we have to point the remote to in order to get it to communicate with the receiver. The problem is, that sweet spot moves all the time and we constantly have to keep trying to figure out where we have to point the remote at and at what angle!

Is there a way to get more range on the UHF signal? I have heard of IR extenders, but don't know about UHF ones for TV2 on Dish.

Edit 2: I decided to post step-by-step instructions right here so anyone wanting to switch to Band B can just follow this instead of reading multiple posts to piece things together.

How to change from Band A to Band B on a Dish Network UHF TV 2 remote.

1) Remove battery cover on UHF cover and use a paper clip or small screwdriver to change the switch from A to B. Replace battery cover.

2) Go to TV1 and bring up the system info screen - either by pressing the system info screen on the control panel, or by using your TV1 remote and pressing (menu, 6, 1, 3)

3) Change your TV2 remote address to an EVEN number address. This is done on the TV 2 remote by press/hold Sat button until all device lights light up then release Sat button, enter in an even number from 2-14, press #, press record.

4) On the system info screen you should see UHF TV2 info change to Band B and the new address should appear. (if it doesn't take, try it again as I had to perform steps 2-4 twice for it to update to Band B).

hope this helps!

Last edited:
I have a Vip722. The TV2 remote is UHF and it doesn't work reliably. TV2 is in a room on the other side of the house from the receiver. We have a certain 'sweet spot' that we have to point the remote to in order to get it to communicate with the receiver. The problem is, that sweet spot moves all the time and we constantly have to keep trying to figure out where we have to point the remote at and at what angle!

Is there a way to get more range on the UHF signal? I have heard of IR extenders, but don't know about UHF ones for TV2 on Dish.

1) the UHF remote has two bands one of which has a larger range. Open battery compartment on back of remote and slide from band A to band B.

2) with a few extra diplexors you can extend range almost any distance. see
Tech Portal : Remotes : 6.2 IR/UHF/UHF Pro extend UHF / UHF Pro range
How to Extend UHF / UHF Pro Remote Range

1) the UHF remote has two bands one of which has a larger range. Open battery compartment on back of remote and slide from band A to band B.

2) with a few extra diplexors you can extend range almost any distance. see
Tech Portal : Remotes : 6.2 IR/UHF/UHF Pro extend UHF / UHF Pro range
How to Extend UHF / UHF Pro Remote Range

hey thanks for the quick reply. i just switched it from the A band to the B band.

do I need to change anything on the DVR? It doesn't seem to be working.

You can add a peice of coax cable to the back of the antenna connection on the receiver. Then get a barrel connector and screw the antenna on to that. You can move that little remote antenna to a location that will pick up the signal.

You can add a peice of coax cable to the back of the antenna connection on the receiver. Then get a barrel connector and screw the antenna on to that. You can move that little remote antenna to a location that will pick up the signal.

Thanks for that tip - I never would have thought to do that.

However, I finally figured out how to get Band B activated. Even number remote addresses operate on Band B. Odd number remote addresses operate on Band A.

I changed the remote address to 8 and it updated immediately to Band B on the system info screen.

I just went back to the back room and tested it and the remote works instantly anywhere I point it!!! Thanks tnsprin for the suggestion, I never knew the band switch was even there.

For future reference, here's the DISH Network manuals: Satellite TV User Guides - Customer Service & Support - DISH Network

Thanks - but according to that my VIP722 can't run Band B,

"All receiver models except the DISH Player-DVR
942, ViP222 and ViP622 DVR must use switch
position A or the remote will not control the
receiver
."

and when it tells you how to switch from Band A to Band B, it does not tell you that A uses odd number addresses, and B uses even number addresses.

I just changed my 722 remote UHF 2 to the band "B" and it is working great...... Better than ever, thanks guys....

So Band B makes a big difference in the range of a UHF TV2 signal vs. Band A? How big of a difference does it make?

So Band B makes a big difference in the range of a UHF TV2 signal vs. Band A? How big of a difference does it make?

Well, on Band A we had spotty control over the TV 2 input from our back room. Now on Band B we have massive control. Every time we press a button, no matter where we are in the back room or where we are pointing the remote, we get instant recognition from the receiver.

It's light years better as far as I'm concerned. And using my guide in the OP, you should be able to switch to Band B and try it for yourself in less than a minute.

What model number on the remotes come with Band B? I think I have seen one or two with the Band B switch and I may have one laying around here somewhere.

Cool, but what's the catch? Less battery life?

Obviously, if you're not getting any response on Band A anyway...

Cool, but what's the catch? Less battery life?

Obviously, if you're not getting any response on Band A anyway...

I would be more than happy to change the batteries every single week for this kind of performance. It's been a huge annoyance for 2 years and I never got pissed off enough to try and find a solution until this morning.

I know I'm joining this party late but I'm having the same problem with the remote on TV2. I opened up the battery cover but don't see an A or B switch, only UHF and IR? I contacted Dish yesterday and they are sending a new cable box for me to set up. Obviously this means we will lose all our recordings so I'm not too happy about this solution, plus I'm not sure it will fix it?

I know I'm joining this party late but I'm having the same problem with the remote on TV2. I opened up the battery cover but don't see an A or B switch, only UHF and IR? I contacted Dish yesterday and they are sending a new cable box for me to set up. Obviously this means we will lose all our recordings so I'm not too happy about this solution, plus I'm not sure it will fix it?

If your remote is programmed to an even number, program it to an odd number instead. If that doesn't fix it, extend the remote antenna with a short coax cable, or you could back feed the antenna into the tv 2 room. If you end up replacing the receiver, you can back up the timers and settings into the remote and back up your recordings onto an external hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts