Any way to have Hopper 3 record the same episode of a show twice?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Fred Derf

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Northeastern Iowa
Sorry if this has already been answered previously. Is there any way to have a Hopper 3 record the first airing of a show, say at 8 pm, into one folder, and the rerun at 11:00 pm into another folder? Two members of my family both watch some of the same shows, and since Dish has no way of marking or flagging a recording as being watched or to "keep", I created folders for those family members and was hoping to record the 8 pm showing into one folder and the 11 pm one into the other folder. I suppose I could create a manual timer for the 11 pm airing, but the manual timer will record all episodes, even reruns, instead of just new ones. Thanks!

I'm no H3 expert, but I seriously doubt that. But why do you want separate recordings just to sort out family members' different viewing habits? If you watch a show from different outlets, such as the H3 proper or a Joey, then the H3 will store your position in that recording independently for each outlet. So when you resume, you can continue where you left off at that particular outlet.

I'm no H3 expert, but I seriously doubt that. But why do you want separate recordings just to sort out family members' different viewing habits? If you watch a show from different outlets, such as the H3 proper or a Joey, then the H3 will store your position in that recording independently for each outlet. So when you resume, you can continue where you left off at that particular outlet.
The main reason is that one person might forget that the other also watches that series and delete an episode. I realize it just gets moved into the trash and can be restored within 24 hours, but the other person might take longer than 24 hours to get to that episode.

Perhaps with one time timers it will allow to record the other episode to different folder, if it marks to skip you can select to ignore skip. We record common shows to "no folder" folder once one of us watches episode we move it to the other person's folder. If it's in our individual folder we know to delete once we watch it.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Perhaps with one time timers it will allow to record the other episode to different folder, if it marks to skip you can select to ignore skip. We record common shows to "no folder" folder once one of us watches episode we move it to the other person's folder. If it's in our individual folder we know to delete once we watch it.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Thanks. That's a good plan and sounds like what we're gonna have to do. Now I have to teach them how to move a show to a folder.

If you look at the schedule (DVR then select schedule tab), the second showing is probably listed but is marked skipped. If you highlite the skipped showing it will offer Record This and edit timer. Simply selecting Record This should give you a second copy of the program.

I haven't tried this method but it looks like it should work.

Good luck.

PS - You can move a show to a folder after it is recorded by displaying its icon on the screen, selecting options, 2 - Manage recordings, highlite the recording and select 4 - Move to Folder. This all done with a 54.0 remote.

If you look at the schedule (DVR then select schedule tab), the second showing is probably listed but is marked skipped. If you highlite the skipped showing it will offer Record This and edit timer. Simply selecting Record This should give you a second copy of the program.

I haven't tried this method but it looks like it should work.

Good luck.

PS - You can move a show to a folder after it is recorded by displaying its icon on the screen, selecting options, 2 - Manage recordings, highlite the recording and select 4 - Move to Folder. This all done with a 54.0 remote.
Good suggestions. Thanks!

Our rule is the NO FOLDER option so that an recordings displayed in the common area are never erased by the viewer unless all who wanted to view it have seen it. Remember a single recording will have separate "bookmarks" relating to each Joey or Hopper so that multiple people accessing the recording for playback will their own/separate RESUME point.

Sadly the above is NOT possible with TiVo. No Custom Folders, and if more than one person (TiVo box or Mini) accesses the recording for playback, ONLY ONE "bookmark" is made for Resumption of recording, which means that if you stopped watching at first commercial, but later, someone else at their client stopped watching at the 3rd commercial break, that becomes the one and only resumption point in memory and you are SOL finding your place if it was not in an easy to find place in the middle of the action.

I really can't think of an EASY way to achieve your goal. If you are sitting at the DVR or, perhaps, Dish Anywhere, you can go to the Scheduled and UN-skip the next showing to air later that night, but that is heavy maintenance. I wonder if setting the timers from different clients/DVR's for the same show can make a difference is some way for this goal to be a bit easier. I notice that the system displays which H3 or Client made the recording. It would be great if someone experimented (I am too hopelessly occupied) and discovered if this makes a difference.

Reactions: Fred Derf
Our rule is the NO FOLDER option so that an recordings displayed in the common area are never erased by the viewer unless all who wanted to view it have seen it. Remember a single recording will have separate "bookmarks" relating to each Joey or Hopper so that multiple people accessing the recording for playback will their own/separate RESUME point.

Sadly the above is NOT possible with TiVo. No Custom Folders, and if more than one person (TiVo box or Mini) accesses the recording for playback, ONLY ONE "bookmark" is made for Resumption of recording, which means that if you stopped watching at first commercial, but later, someone else at their client stopped watching at the 3rd commercial break, that becomes the one and only resumption point in memory and you are SOL finding your place if it was not in an easy to find place in the middle of the action.

I really can't think of an EASY way to achieve your goal. If you are sitting at the DVR or, perhaps, Dish Anywhere, you can go to the Scheduled and UN-skip the next showing to air later that night, but that is heavy maintenance. I wonder if setting the timers from different clients/DVR's for the same show can make a difference is some way for this goal to be a bit easier. I notice that the system displays which H3 or Client made the recording. It would be great if someone experimented (I am too hopelessly occupied) and discovered if this makes a difference.
That might work. I'll try it out. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts