Any way to lease three HDDVRs?

jacmyoung

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I currently have two leased 622 DVRs from a year ago, but need a third one for my new HD set in the kitchen. It is not critical this TV gets true HD feed since it is only 19", but still I'd prefer an HDDVR since we are spoiled by them.

The E* tech said this is not possible, I will have to buy the third one for $599 including installation. Any of you have more than two HDDVRs on lease?

I doubt it. For 19" I honestly wouldn't waste my time with HD. Just run TV 2 out from one of the other 622s.

I doubt it. For 19" I honestly wouldn't waste my time with HD. Just run TV 2 out from one of the other 622s.

The difference between HD and SD on this 19" is still stunningly clear but running TV2 might be my only choice if they won't let me lease the third receiver.

Having a second account of course is not cost-effective, buying the third 622 would be much better option than having two accounts, since I can always sell it for good money down the road, or can I?

I wouldn't go into it thinking that you will make back most of your money from buying instead of leasing, especially since the 722 replaces the 622 and there will be other replacements by the time to look to sell the unit (if ever) probably. However, since the 622 supports MPEG4, it will be useful to someone for many years to come, unlike the 921/942.

Maybe one of these days they'll come out with a true dual HD DVR or a single HD DVR to solve this issue for those who don't want to use the TV2. As it goes, I'm using my 721 on my LG 32LC2DU and it still beats the awful 480i SD Digital FOX feed here.

I will be happy to get my 722 next week the same. Even though it has no NESN HD.. :)

The issue here is not I don't want to use TV2, rather TV2 is not HD.

Back in 1/05 E* and 2wire jointly announced the developement of a 2wire Media Portal whole house system, where a base unit does all the receiving and DVR functions with full HD, and satellite terminals can be linked to it with CAT5 or some other connection, and control the base unit and playback in HD as well.

In fact D* at that time talked about a similar system, but somehow this whole idea is no longer on the radar screen. The 2wire/E* effort is now turned into the ATT HD Homezone with a 622HZ box loaded with some 2wire software, no different than the regular 622.

Unfortunately they decided that there was no 'secure' way to transport TV2 to another room without a heavy install requirement. Whether that is a valid answer/excuse, well, that's obviously open to interpretation.

However, as it is sits they're probably not going to want 6 tuners and 3 of their highest end boxes in a lease. You're going to have to make a decision on what is important to you.

If you don't really need DVRs on every TV, there's always the 211. Rumor has it some day in the future you may be able to plug in a USB drive and make it into a DVR. Whether that all pans out, who knows. In the meantime it's a very capable HD receiver.

The 2wire/E* effort is now turned into the ATT HD Homezone with a 622HZ box loaded with some 2wire software, no different than the regular 622.

Actually there's more to the 622HZ than just that. The 622HZ was designed mostly by 2Wire and has several differences. If you look back at the 622HZ review, you'll see Scott remarked on that.

I'd kind of like to program my DVR from the toilet... One of these days they'll come up with a way to let me do it via the web and/or cell. I don't have much urge to put a TV in there. ........

Actually that's not a half bad idea.. I could turn on Montel and it could be like they're clapping for me.. :D

I think the big question is, Do you really need DVR in your KITCHEN? Just go buy a 211, save yourself a lot of money.

Yes, the pause function alone will be worth it. Since I already have two 622s, I can't even lease another 211, and at $299 a piece without DVR functions, it will be worse than spending $599 on another 622.

For now however TV2 will do. But unfortunately as things evolved over time, we now spend more time watching a bit of TV here and there in the kitchen, satellite office or garage, each on "TV2" output only, imaging how flustrated I am not able to watch true HD most of the time.

Yes, the pause function alone will be worth it. Since I already have two 622s, I can't even lease another 211, and at $299 a piece without DVR functions, it will be worse than spending $599 on another 622.

For now however TV2 will do. But unfortunately as things evolved over time, we now spend more time watching a bit of TV here and there in the kitchen, satellite office or garage, each on "TV2" output only, imaging how flustrated I am not able to watch true HD most of the time.

Do you need 2 tuners? You might be able to run a cable from an out on one tv to the other maybe. Just a thought.

get a componenet video and audio distribution amplifier. this will allow you to use a single hd dvr for multiple tvs. i got 4 hd tvs running off my 622. the main one in the living room uses the hdmi, the other three use lcd tvs through out the home, including one small 15 inch one fluch mounted in my wall in my bathroom(my girl likes to watch her soaps in the jacuszzi tub). oh yeah, and best of all, i can program and edit all my dvr events right from the toilet. i know im spending too much time in there though when my legs fall asleep.

oh, i got my componenet amp on ebay for under a hundred bucks. it will cover 4 tv's and i have one tv that actually has 3 12ft cords linked and i still have great picture quality. this thing really boosts up the signal. yeah, it will cost you for all those cables, but al those cables cost less then one 211.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts