Any way to save the timers?

The trouble with that idea is that data storage in the cloud would be needed for over 10 million, probably way over, receivers. That's a ton of space, who pays for it? I can understand that storing your individual timers on the remote that operates the receiver is a better business decision....

Assuming an average user's timers would represent 100KB of data per STB (which seems high to be honest, but it is a nice, round number), 10 million records might use as much as 1TB of space, or half of the capacity of one Hopper3's hard drive. Taking into account the content of the timers can be all text and would have lots of repeating records, I'd expect a 10:1 compression/deduplication ratio, so maybe 1GB of actual space used on Disk. That would be pennies per month for cloud storage.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
Assuming an average user's timers would represent 100KB of data per STB (which seems high to be honest, but it is a nice, round number), 10 million records might use as much as 1TB of space, or half of the capacity of one Hopper3's hard drive. Taking into account the content of the timers can be all text and would have lots of repeating records, I'd expect a 10:1 compression/deduplication ratio, so maybe 1GB of actual space used on Disk. That would be pennies per month for cloud storage.
Using cloud storage for backing up timers sounds like a great idea, until you realize that when the idea of saving timers to the remote was implemented there was no such thing as cloud storage and USB dongles were not all that common for the general public let alone with some of the older individuals that are Dish customers. Should Dish implement something like this now, that would be nice but how many iterations and bugs would be introduced and squashed before it worked reliably. Dish has a viable solution, save to the remote, that works for their customers. If it helps just think of the remote as a really big wireless USB dongle.

Using cloud storage for backing up timers sounds like a great idea, until you realize that when the idea of saving timers to the remote was implemented there was no such thing as cloud storage and USB dongles were not all that common for the general public let alone with some of the older individuals that are Dish customers. Should Dish implement something like this now, that would be nice but how many iterations and bugs would be introduced and squashed before it worked reliably. Dish has a viable solution, save to the remote, that works for their customers. If it helps just think of the remote as a really big wireless USB dongle.

Sure. Good points. I was just answering the question posed.

Reactions: HipKat
Dish has a viable solution, save to the remote, that works for their customers.

Don't you have to anticipate and use that feature periodically before it will work when you really need it?

And, for those wondering how much storage that would be needed on Dish's servers, how much memory does the remote have?

Don't you have to anticipate and use that feature periodically before it will work when you really need it?

And, for those wondering how much storage that would be needed on Dish's servers, how much memory does the remote have?
No, you don't have to anticipate anything. The remotes save automatically every several days.

No, you don't have to anticipate anything. The remotes save automatically every several days.

Good feature. Does this work with the 54 only or the 40 as well or both? (I have both set up to control my H3 from different locations.)

Unfortunately it saves to every remote that is linked causing unnecessary battery wear so even seldom used remotes use up excessive batteries.

Yes sir, I do that at home. Matter of fact, I have a Hopper 3 downloading right now. PLUS, you often know if you have a bad receiver before you try and use it at someone's house.

You'd be surprised at how much crap I've taken from other techs and from some of the Bigwigs at Dish for doing that, too

Not only you know if you have a bad receiver but you also know if you have Joey software. :)

Not only you know if you have a bad receiver but you also know if you have Joey software. :)
I have a Hopper/Sling right now, only came out of the download with 2 Joey software versions, so I tried to run the update again manually and got the popup saying I had the most current version. Left it there, walked away and when I came back it was downloading the Vital Update again! So we'll see what happens when it's done

I have a 40 remote that is linked and is in a box in my equipment cabinet. I have a need to replace the batteries once every year to year and a half. Whoopie.... :)
I don't know why yours would last that long as I only get a few months on any remote

I have 16 remotes (combination of 40.0 & 54.0) paired to all my Hoppers and Joeys. They seem to last at least 6 months. I get the big supply batteries that Sam's sells.

I have 16 remotes (combination of 40.0 & 54.0) paired to all my Hoppers and Joeys. They seem to last at least 6 months. I get the big supply batteries that Sam's sells.
That still isn't that long. I have devices that have been frequently used for years that still are using the original batteries.

Reactions: charlesrshell
That still isn't that long. I have devices that have been frequently used for years that still are using the original batteries.
Maybe it is longer, I am just guessing. It seems like I hardly ever have to change batteries. Maybe I will set up a spreadsheet and track them for a year.

Just do what I do- mark the install date on the batteries when you change them, using a Sharpie.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts