Any way to turn off display?

PlasticBP

Original poster
Apr 2, 2015
Urbana, IL
I have a toddler who likes to listen to music, so we'll put on a Sirius/XM station and let her play with that in the background. The other day I noticed I had some image retention on my plasma TV. Is there any way to turn off the display while still listening to the audio? I currently have no external speakers connected to the Hopper, although I can probably do that if that's the only way to get what I want.

If there is, it would be within your TV itself. Basically the screen would be off, but the speakers would still work. There is absolutely no setting on Dish that can make that happen.

That said, if you get a AVR, or external speakers, you can have it set up so the AVR is on, and Dish is on, and you have audio while the TV is off. Thats how mine is hooked up. Dish to AVR, AVR to TV. All via HdMI's

Or, I'm assuming that you have multiple inputs for your TV since it is a plasma, right? You didn't mention how you have the TV connected to the Hopper so I will again assume HDMI??

Thinking if the TV has more than one input AND one of those inputs allows for your typical audio/video composite connections (the red, white and yellow RCA plugs (round with pointy thing in the center!)) then you could get a cheap set of just the red/white audio pair. Connect one end to the red/white audio connectors on the back of the Hopper then connect the other end to one of the unused TV inputs.

This way you can have your Hopper on normally on the HDMI connector input then when you want audio only, simply change the TV input to the one with just the audio cables. You will get audio with no video. When done, change the TV input back to main one. Again, assuming you are an HDMI cable output and not using the red/white connectors on the back of the Hopper already.

If you are, then you could get two RCA cable splitters, one for each audio output (one for red, one for white). Then run your audio cables to the two TV audio inputs.

Not as complex as it sounds!!

http://www.hhgregg.com/rca-3-y-adaptor/item/AH25

I have a toddler who likes to listen to music, so we'll put on a Sirius/XM station and let her play with that in the background. The other day I noticed I had some image retention on my plasma TV. Is there any way to turn off the display while still listening to the audio? I currently have no external speakers connected to the Hopper, although I can probably do that if that's the only way to get what I want.
you can buy a JVC tv it will let you turn off the picture . audio only !! we do that all the time .

you can buy a JVC tv it will let you turn off the picture . audio only !! we do that all the time .

Why spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on a new TV. All the person needs is $10 - $15 for cabling in my suggestion or a little more for a Bluetooth speaker.

Bluetooth speakers have really come down in price. Even a small one is probably enough and it can easily be picked up and moved.

Reactions: Tron2012

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)