Any Way to Watch a Single DVR Stream Simultaneously on Multiple Joeys

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hojni

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
When I video modulated my 722 output throughout the house, we could watch the same DVR event on all the TVs (only one person needed to jump the commercials, pause, or play for all viewers). I'm pretty sure that you can watch the same live stream on multiple Joeys, but can you watch the exact same DVR stream on multiple Joeys (i.e. when one person jumps commercials, pauses or plays - all see the exact same video image)?

So far, all I've been able to do is start multiple streams of the same DVR event on multiple Joeys - each stream operating independently.

I know that the independent video streaming to the Joeys is one of great selling points of the Hopper/Joey system, but sometimes we like to watch the same recorded show "together" in multiple locations throughout the house. Seems silly that we would all have to jump, pause and play the same show independently. The choice of shared or common viewing would be nice. Maybe it's there and I'm just missing it.

RF modulate one of the joeys to all the other tvs you want and you're all set. Variations of that are probably the only way like what's mentioned by kwindrem in another topic:

Several ways:

The HDMI and composite outputs are active at the same time so you could feed HDMI to one TV and composite to a second.

You could also split the composite output but need an external box to do that.

There are also HDMI splitters available.

Last edited:
The only problem with RF modulating is that you lose the HD; the whole reason that I went to Hopper/Joey.

This is not a huge show-stopper issue. I'm just trying to figure out if it's possible, so I can maintain the illusion of family togetherness.

i edited above... kwindrem mentioned some other ways by splitting a hopper into component for 1 TV and long HDMI cable for a different TV (or hdmi splitters).

Might not be possible logistically in terms of running a second cable to a different room though (since everyone's situation is different).

Last edited:
If you press the red shortcut button on the Joey's remotes you should be able to "join" the same feed on the hopper and what you do on one TV will affect the others watching the same stream. You just need to make sure everyone is joined to the same tuner stream.

ETA, I am assuming you have a Joey at each TV location you are wanting to do this with in this answer.

Dudleydog73,

I believe your solution only works if you are using a tuner. I don't think the recorded events being watched on the Joeys even show up on that screen.

Yes, I do have 5 Joeys running.

hojni said:
Dudleydog73,

I believe your solution only works if you are using a tuner. I don't think the recorded events being watched on the Joeys even show up on that screen.

Yes, I do have 5 Joeys running.

I believe recordings do show up on the TV Viewing Status screen.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I just checked and the only thing showing on the TV Viewing Status screen are three open tuners. My wife and I are both watching DVR events (throught two different Joeys linke to the same Hopper) and they are NOT showing up on the TV Viewing Status screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)