Any Word on CW HD locals??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

techguru408

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
I actually still like Smallville and it sucks that CW is not in HD (in Baltimore). I know the CW is not considered one of the BIG 4 but was curious if anyone heard or knew of anything about this issue?

P.s. I did a search and did not find anything so if this was previously covered and I missed, please direct me thanks.

By the end of 2013 essentially. They worked out a transition deal with the FCC. Essentially they have to all the stations in year 1 in 25% of markets, then year 2 50%, 75% and then 100% in 2013. But, of course the first couple years are easy with the small markets only having the big 4 in HD anyways, so just carrying the market counts as a complete one in their required %s.

Unfortunately our market doesn't have CW in HD. And I doubt Dish would be sympathetic enough to give us Cleveland's CW stations or a national feed instead. Not that lucky. ;)

it's the same out here in california more specific ( sacramento) we to are w/o the CW in HD. SMH at the fact that dish has not switch the feed to HD, it makes no sense what so ever...

If your local CW station does not broadcast in HD, Dish will not substitute another station that does.

They will only rebroadcast your local station when and if it is carried.

Unfortunately our market doesn't have CW in HD. And I doubt Dish would be sympathetic enough to give us Cleveland's CW stations or a national feed instead. Not that lucky. ;)

Dish can only import in HD or SD one of the Big4 Networks if applicable

Lots of markets dont have CW in HD at all (OTA or on sat)...some have it in 480i widescreen

Well it is possible that someday Dish could carry the Superstations in HD. Since some of them are the CW it would bring CWHD to a lot of small markets. It would be nice if they did HD CW superstation for markets without OTA HD CW. In my market they give you an SD CW Superstation in the locals package.

Here in the San Jose/San Francisco bay area....they've given us a My Network TV affiliate before they've given us our CW.

Fortunately its easy for most here to get it OTA and free via comcrap if they are your ISP

Dish can only import in HD or SD one of the Big4 Networks if applicable

Lots of markets dont have CW in HD at all (OTA or on sat)...some have it in 480i widescreen

Hell, we don't even get it in widescreen around here. Just plain jane 4:3 480i. Ran as a subchannel on our local NBC affiliate (WFMJ) since the station is run and owned by them as a sister station.

I have suggested on another forum that the engineer for said station visits to cram both channels in the allotted 18mbits as HD. Unfortunately got a lot of backlash from other viewers against that.

Our CBS station (WKBN) does this already and is in a similar spot. They own and operate the local Fox affiliate as a sister station but the main transmitter site is LP and remains analog and difficult to receive here. So both CBS and Fox are on one channel both run at 720p on a good encoder that does some pretty damn good statmuxing. Funny thing is Dish still has Fox locked in as SD off the spotbeam even though it is available in HD off the same transmitter they are getting CBS in HD from.

*sigh* How I wish I had just a LITTLE more reach to pull in the Cleveland market OTA. Used to be pretty lucky at getting WKYC in enough for a solid lock with very rare breakups but that seems to have passed. :/

it's funny b/c comcast here in sacramento carries the cw in hd. i've come to the conclusion that we wont see the cw in hd in sacramento any time soon. were stuck with the sd version oh well!!!!

Last edited:
I actually still like Smallville and it sucks that CW is not in HD (in Baltimore). I know the CW is not considered one of the BIG 4 but was curious if anyone heard or knew of anything about this issue?
Have you tried OTA? I can pick up WNUV pretty easily, and I'm up in York, PA.
Failing that, you could try to pull in WDCW to the south or WLYH to the north.

Hell, we don't even get it in widescreen around here. Just plain jane 4:3 480i. Ran as a subchannel on our local NBC affiliate (WFMJ) since the station is run and owned by them as a sister station.

I know some that are subchannels are going 480 widescreen. On my "locals" the CBS station has a CW subchannel and I see the commercials that they say on August 1st "The Northlands CW" is going digital widescreen.

so maybe that will change soon....I dont know if its on a case by case or more are changing

Have you tried OTA? I can pick up WNUV pretty easily, and I'm up in York, PA.
Failing that, you could try to pull in WDCW to the south or WLYH to the north.

Unfortunately due to the terrain around here I would need a HUGE antenna to get it OTA. The ONLY channel we get OTA is WJZ 13. :(

I just wish CW-HD was an option (even if was a superstation version).

Move

Unfortunately due to the terrain around here I would need a HUGE antenna to get it OTA. The ONLY channel we get OTA is WJZ 13. :(

I just wish CW-HD was an option (even if was a superstation version).

Move your service address to the DMA next door to get it. Look on the list to see if you can get it's spotbeam.

I asked this very same question at team summit. "Will multicast channels be added to dish programing?" ANSWER... " It takes 300 million dollars to build and launch a bird, if we added all the multicast channels in every market we would have to launch 15 new birds to cover just the local weather channels" long story short.. Never. Sorry

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)