Any Word on CW HD locals??

Among the first CW's in HD were those owned by Tribune (Denver and Los Angeles among them). It seems that one's best bet to get MyHD or CWHD is if it is part of a group of stations owned by the same company instead of a truly independent station.

Among the first CW's in HD were those owned by Tribune (Denver and Los Angeles among them). It seems that one's best bet to get MyHD or CWHD is if it is part of a group of stations owned by the same company instead of a truly independent station.
Not always. In the case of the OP's WB, it's owned by Sinclair who also owns the Fox affiliate in the market.

I asked this very same question at team summit. "Will multicast channels be added to dish programing?" ANSWER... " It takes 300 million dollars to build and launch a bird, if we added all the multicast channels in every market we would have to launch 15 new birds to cover just the local weather channels" long story short.. Never. Sorry

Mike

Well then how is Dish producing an acceptable quality on local HD channels? (Or are they -- I still don't have mine so I don't know?) I mean, if a channel ISN'T multicasting, their HD program can take up the full bandwidth of the transmitter that would otherwise be taken by the main channel plus subchannels.

I'm hopeful when E15 comes online, CONUS programming can be moved off E12, and TPs 17, 19, 21, and 23 can be used in spotbeam and be used to expand HD locals to include CW, MNTV, and PBS in many markets.

Well then how is Dish producing an acceptable quality on local HD channels? (Or are they -- I still don't have mine so I don't know?) I mean, if a channel ISN'T multicasting, their HD program can take up the full bandwidth of the transmitter that would otherwise be taken by the main channel plus subchannels.

The biggest factor is that over the air is MPEG2 encoded while satellite uses MPEG4 encoding. MPEG4 encoding is very efficient compared to MPEG2 and thus requires substantially less bandwidth. They can also reduce the encoding bitrate to reduce bandwidth consumption.

Well then the SD could also be MPEG4. Maybe that's the problem, that they haven't converted Western Arc to MPEG4 yet -- not just locals, any of it.

All HD on WA is MPEG4. The conversion of WA to SD MPEG4 involves replacing all the non-VIP receivers on WA - $$$$$$$$$$$!

All HD on WA is MPEG4. The conversion of WA to SD MPEG4 involves replacing all the non-VIP receivers on WA - $$$$$$$$$$$!

It does not have to be in one swoop. They can start converting to 8PSK from QPSK (which they are doing). They can also convert the Premiums and the AT250 channels before the others. That can get them some short term gains without scrapping a ton of MPEG2 equipment just yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)