Any word on Dish price increases?

Can anyone confirm EPG data on OTA for deactivated 211k's? When my contract is up this November, I'm planning to deactivate and just use the box for OTA recording and free previews.

I didn't think you can record without a subscription, Sat or OTA?

I wish either provider (or ANY provider) would just ONCE actually LOWER all subscription costs across the board. Has it ever been done before? I would think it would attract a lot of customers and/or positive PR... The price increases are so formulaic and boring.

(And I'm not talking about a "new" pricing structure that is cheaper for 1% of the subscriber base...)

Not possible. How would they pay their increased cost? If the content providers keep charging more it needs to be passed down... Margins are thinner than a lot of people realize as it is.

Can anyone confirm EPG data on OTA for deactivated 211k's?
I confirmed the EPG data the last time you asked about it.
Also, as a response to mrc54 above, one of my deactivated receivers was a ViP722k, and it also received the OTA guide data. You would save $10 per month by dropping locals, not $5.

When my contract is up this November, I'm planning to deactivate and just use the box for OTA recording and free previews.
If you wish to use the deactivated receiver for free previews, make sure it has the purple G3 Smart Card. Generally, receivers with white G4 Smart Cards will not work for free previews when they are deactivated. A deactivated ViP211k will work for watching OTA (and possibly free previews) but it will not record unless it is activated. You would be better off using a deactivated DVR with a built-in hard drive.

Last year, I started getting EPG data for the OTA locals on my deactivated receivers. Many people have reported being able to do the same thing with Flex Pack without the satellite locals.

In my case, I opened the second account on my own, for another reason. So, I do not know if a Dish CSR would actually offer a second account as a solution for someone wanting the Flex Pack channels and the Welcome Pack channels without being forced to buy a whole bunch of additional channels. I highly doubt it, though.
OK. Thanks for your clarification.

I confirmed the EPG data the last time you asked about it.
Also, as a response to mrc54 above, one of my deactivated receivers was a ViP722k, and it also received the OTA guide data. You would save $10 per month by dropping locals, not $5.

If you wish to use the deactivated receiver for free previews, make sure it has the purple G3 Smart Card. Generally, receivers with white G4 Smart Cards will not work for free previews when they are deactivated. A deactivated ViP211k will work for watching OTA (and possibly free previews) but it will not record unless it is activated. You would be better off using a deactivated DVR with a built-in hard drive.
Thanks for the information on the ViP722K, after Dish raises your bill $5, dropping locals saves you $5.

Thanks for the information on the ViP722K, after Dish raises your bill $5, dropping locals saves you $5.
Yes, compared to the current price. I was either thinking of Flex Pack, or comparing the price of the other packages without locals (if Dish ever allows that) to the new higher price.

Well I just remembered about the (existing customer) renewal offer & of the price increase coming in 2 days...was in Vegas last week & been sick this week. :(
Just got off the phone & got the $15/month off for 2 year price lock deal. (actually $10 off the now current base pkg price + $5 off for auto/paperless pay) So now I'm locked at $75/month f/AT250...pretty quick & painless & I did the acceptance online while the CSR waiting for me to do that. Still have my $10/month HBO deal as well.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)