Any Word When Pittsburgh Hd Go Live?

I used the information from this thread and a similar thread at DBS to work the system. First I called Tech Support because they did someone a free equiptment upgrade, but have to shut off SD locals to place the work order. Then called Customer Service, got my locals turned back on, but said I would have to pay $59 for the urgrade and a 1 year commit or $200 and no commit. So I told her that Tech support already told me I was entitled to a free upgrade because I was already paying for locals and it wasn't my fault they were on another satelite. She puts me on hold, said she'll see what she could do. COmes back minutes later, said she could schedule the upgrade, leave my locals on, and waive the $59, but would still have to commit to 1 year, but it wold be concurrent with the 1 year commit I did in August to upgrade to MPeg4.

Bottom line, you gotta use what others have learned and posted, work it to your advantage! Great knowledge here, use it!

My upgrade is Tuesday, anybody need an RCA OTA Indoor antenna? :)

One question I was curious about that has thus far been unanswered in this thread. I have 3 other boxes that are the old, standard, what are they 500 series? to other non-HD TVs. will they still get SD locals? How does that deal work?

Had the install done on Sat 12/16. Installer showed up @ 5:00PM it took till 7:00PM to complete the installation.Now everyone of us who lives out here in SW PA or NW PA, I am in Oil City, knows that Pa has plenty of mountains and certainly plenty of trees. My development, now some 40YRS old, is in a virtual oak forest and they keep growing taller!! So we were confronted by a challenge to get the 4 SATs line of site. We moved the DISH to as pole mount in the front yard, off the house.Did not really like that having the SAT in the yard.After almost 2 hrs , again in the dark, we did not have the 129SAT.Back outsice, me w/the installer, I am holding the searchlite and the meter, we locked on to the 129SAT. We are keeping the seperate 61.5 SAT on the house and have the cable feed ready to swap into the DP44 switch this summer if the leaves give us a problem w/the 129SAT. Installer said only place you really get a good line of site for the 129SAT is in a level open field, not many of us city type folks live in those here in SW or NW PA. Gov't. requirements to get everything on one DISH is OK but its not always possible everywhere! Also the total confusion with the install, not having the DISH equipment needed listed on the work order futher delayed the work. Installer was very good, I know him he's a great guy! His big concern was getting the work order corrected so he could get paid.That was the biggest delay /complaint from him. Anyhow after all of the cold, dark the STEELERS looked awfully good in HD Sunday.Now my 21yr old son has a job burying the cables and making the lawn and installation complete! :) :)

Had the install done on Sat 12/16. Installer showed up @ 5:00PM it took till 7:00PM to complete the installation.Now everyone of us who lives out here in SW PA or NW PA, I am in Oil City, knows that Pa has plenty of mountains and certainly plenty of trees. My development, now some 40YRS old, is in a virtual oak forest and they keep growing taller!! So we were confronted by a challenge to get the 4 SATs line of site. We moved the DISH to as pole mount in the front yard, off the house.Did not really like that having the SAT in the yard.After almost 2 hrs , again in the dark, we did not have the 129SAT.Back outsice, me w/the installer, I am holding the searchlite and the meter, we locked on to the 129SAT. We are keeping the seperate 61.5 SAT on the house and have the cable feed ready to swap into the DP44 switch this summer if the leaves give us a problem w/the 129SAT. Installer said only place you really get a good line of site for the 129SAT is in a level open field, not many of us city type folks live in those here in SW or NW PA. Gov't. requirements to get everything on one DISH is OK but its not always possible everywhere! Also the total confusion with the install, not having the DISH equipment needed listed on the work order futher delayed the work. Installer was very good, I know him he's a great guy! His big concern was getting the work order corrected so he could get paid.That was the biggest delay /complaint from him. Anyhow after all of the cold, dark the STEELERS looked awfully good in HD Sunday.Now my 21yr old son has a job burying the cables and making the lawn and installation complete! :) :)

Oiltrain do you still get locals on your other receivers in other rooms of the house?

My install had to be rescheduled becuase despite the 12-5 time frame, the installer called after 6 and said he was an hour away. So now we're scheduled for the 26th, not reall happy, but what can ya do?!?!

I only have 3 receivers all are HD. My 811 that does not get the 647x HD channels still gets the Pittsburgh locals on old channels 2,4,11 and 53. Also the 211 and the 622 get HD reception on channels 2,4,11,53. Like the NY locals in HD, they also broadcast the HD on the SD locals from Pittsburgh. As I mentioned I still have the 61.5 Dish on the house and the cable end has the correct connector to hook it up to the DP44 switch. Would advise anyone making the upgrade that already has a seperate 61.5 Dish to keep that antenna. I know I will be swapping my 129 feed for the 61.5. Installer explained that when you display your check switch on your TV screen check alternate and not DISH 500 and then when the SATS display across the screen, ie 110, 118, 119, 129 etc. the order the SAT #s display is the order they are plugged into the DP44. So if 129 lists as the 4th SAT then its the #4 SAT input cable going into the DP44. My 2 sons did the cable burial on Mon & Tues this week. We elected to place the cables into conduit. I do want to take chance cables would work up and out of yard due to frost heave,etc. and hit them w/lawnmower in spring. We had about 35 ft of cable length to bury. Only buried the 1st 20ft under the yard. Rest was under shrubbery beds and landscape ties and brick sidewalk. Sons unplugged the cable from DP44 switch and then pulled cables thru conduit and then reattached the cables. They are 21 and 23 so I call then my #1 and #2 engineers on site!!

watching jeopardy in hd, awesome! when the channels were uplinked a month ago, i took a chance and ordered a dish 1000+ and did a self install, could not have dish come and do the the install because i had to "move" in order to get the pittsburgh locals, which i did last night around 10:00, today the hd locals were turned on, quality is great, even better than the cbshd i had out of new york until they were shut off. pajer

I am in your same situation. I just had a dish 1000 installed 3 weeks ago and the installer and dish tech support assured me that it would get my Pitt hd locals. But of course 3 weeks later I am told I need a dish 1000 plus!!!!!!! My dish 1000 currently gets 119, 110, 129 and the old voom dish is pulling in 61.5. Can you give me any tips for what I need to do if I try a self install of the dish 1000plus? Is it just plug and play. Connect wires form dish 1000 to the dish 1000 plus or is it out of the scope of a non expert?

I am in your same situation. I just had a dish 1000 installed 3 weeks ago and the installer and dish tech support assured me that it would get my Pitt hd locals. But of course 3 weeks later I am told I need a dish 1000 plus!!!!!!! My dish 1000 currently gets 119, 110, 129 and the old voom dish is pulling in 61.5. Can you give me any tips for what I need to do if I try a self install of the dish 1000plus? Is it just plug and play. Connect wires form dish 1000 to the dish 1000 plus or is it out of the scope of a non expert?

And by the way, from where did you order a dish 1000 plus? Will Dish allow me to order one than try the instal myself and what about the LNBs. Are they interchangeable with the Dish 1000 that I now have?And I already have the dp44

Last edited:
I had my install scheduled for yesterday afternoon. I sat home all day. They never showed. I called and found that they had rescheduled me for next Sunday due to not having the dishes in stock. I said thanks for calling and telling me this! I went round and round trying to get my locals turned back on and they won't do it till I'm upgraded. So, another week without my locals...

Happy holidays!

Supervisor saying he can't wave the commitment. I'm actually considering switching back to Comcast *shudder* over this.

I'm so glad FIOS TV will be available mid to late 2007.

Update - talked to a third person. I'm not sure if she was a supervisor, but she was the most helpful of the three. I will be paying $50 with no commitment.

Here were the *official* options:
1. $59 + 1 year commitment
2. $199 + no commitment

They were willing to go down to:
1. $0 + 1 year commitment
2. $50 + no commitment

I'm not entirely happy since I specifically asked when I signed up 5 months ago whether I would be getting the HD locals with the dishes that they had already installed, but I'm happy enough that I won't leave for Comcast.

Also, as others have said, they will remove your SD locals when you sign up. The last person I spoke with added them back (she had to cancel the order and re-submit it).

Scott

Well, after arguing with Dish about the install charge, they finally came out today to install the new Dish. Unfortunately, due to the way that my current Dish is mounted, they said that it would not be possible to install the 1000+. The Dish is currently mounted on a post about 150 feet from my house. They said that the 1000+ must be mounted on the house due to its size and therefore they couldn't install it (I don't want it mounted on my house).

So...no HD Locals for me. I get everything except for WTAE over the air, so its not a huge deal, but still makes me a little mad. I was ticked off enough that I actually looked into Comcast, but the HD lineup for the North Hills is so terrible that there's no way I would switch. Other than the locals, they only have Discovery, InHD, and ESPN. The infrastructure in the North can't support any more than that.

I'm just happy that I already have FIOS for my phone and Internet...the second they go live with TV, I'm switching.

Same audio synch problem w/KDKA up here in Oil City! It seems to be much better than when I had installation of the DISH 1000+ on 12/16. So they must be tweaking something but its still not where it should be .No problem w/4, 11 or 53 on the audio synch.:)

Yes. I get the green squares and the video drops out sometimes and also the audio skips.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)