Anybody else here have Amazon Prime pretty much for just Prime Video?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
While I do shop on Amazon every now and then and do have Amazon Prime, I do a good majority of my shopping on eBay and when I can't find it on eBay I search the internet to see if I can find what I'm looking for. And yes sometimes I find what I'm looking for on Amazon, the bulk of stuff that is tricky to find I usually find elsewhere. And yes, I know about free two day shipping that's included with my Prime membership, but it doesn't help much if they don't have what I'm looking for (not to mention that it only includes things on Amazon.com that's sold DIRECTLY from Amazon). So the real reason I have Amazon Prime is for Prime Video and there's plenty of stuff I want to watch on it. By the way, I'm not saying that there's not a good selection on Amazon.com, because there obviously is.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
It has turned into that. I live way out of town, so Amazon was a good solution. Sadly, most of their reviews are fake, most products are fake/defective or just plain cheap crap! So, I really limit what I buy and do use the video service.

It feels that way sometimes, but it's because the other benefits are relatively transparent to us with how much their ecosystem is leveraged in our house.

1664334698457.png

1664334710923.png

1664334814122.png

Reactions: TheKrell
It has turned into that. I live way out of town, so Amazon was a good solution. Sadly, most of their reviews are fake, most products are fake/defective or just plain cheap crap! So, I really limit what I buy and do use the video service.
I'm going to have to disagree about fake/defective or just plain crap. In the past 2.5 years I've made roughly 600 purchases through Amazon. Out of all of them I returned exactly 3 items due to a problem. Couldn't ask for an easier return system, I initiated the return then just dropped the item at a UPS center and they took care of the rest. Didn't even have to pack it up. The exception was a pair of tractor tires that were the wrong size and with those UPS picked them up at my house. People shouldn't paint with such a broad brush when it comes to Amazon. Virtually everything I've purchased is the very same merchandise being sold by Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, and Ebay to mention a few. And I'll tell you another thing, I have found unique items available on Amazon that no one else carries. Just one example, when I rebuilt my front porch from the ground up this summer I was able to find rolls of self-adhesive bituminous waterproofing to overlap and waterproof all the floor joists and beams. Didn't even know it existed before finding it on Amazon.

As for Prime Video, it's my only streaming service. I have addons within Prime such as Britbox, Acorn, and PBS. Combine that with all the new original content Amazon pushes out regularly plus Thursday Night Football and it is, in my opinion, the most cost effective streaming service out there. YMMV.

I'm going to have to disagree about fake/defective or just plain crap. In the past 2.5 years I've made roughly 600 purchases through Amazon. Out of all of them I returned exactly 3 items due to a problem. Couldn't ask for an easier return system, I initiated the return then just dropped the item at a UPS center and they took care of the rest. Didn't even have to pack it up. The exception was a pair of tractor tires that were the wrong size and with those UPS picked them up at my house. People shouldn't paint with such a broad brush when it comes to Amazon. Virtually everything I've purchased is the very same merchandise being sold by Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, and Ebay to mention a few. And I'll tell you another thing, I have found unique items available on Amazon that no one else carries. Just one example, when I rebuilt my front porch from the ground up this summer I was able to find rolls of self-adhesive bituminous waterproofing to overlap and waterproof all the floor joists and beams. Didn't even know it existed before finding it on Amazon.

As for Prime Video, it's my only streaming service. I have addons within Prime such as Britbox, Acorn, and PBS. Combine that with all the new original content Amazon pushes out regularly plus Thursday Night Football and it is, in my opinion, the most cost effective streaming service out there. YMMV.
I am glad you have had such a great experience. Mine was that way but is quickly changing.

The word Most is interesting ...

I have bought a lot of stuff from Amazon, as long as I know what it is exactly .

I prefer to buy Locally though.

...I prefer to buy Locally though.
I prefer to buy locally also. But it has become increasingly difficult since Amazon has put some of my favorite stores out of business - Like Fry's Electronics, CompUSA, and Border's Books.

So I have Amazon Prime almost exclusively for the faster shipping. I would not pay $139 per year for their streaming service alone, which I rarely use.

I find it really odd that they combine streaming and free/fast shipping into one product.

Why not split it off -- $70 per year for either one?

I prefer to buy locally also. But it has become increasingly difficult since Amazon has put some of my favorite stores out of business - Like Fry's Electronics, CompUSA, and Border's Books.

So I have Amazon Prime almost exclusively for the faster shipping. I would not pay $139 per year for their streaming service alone, which I rarely use.

I find it really odd that they combine streaming and free/fast shipping into one product.

If they did that, you can be assured that the price(s) would go up more often ....

They are banking on most customers will have a balanced use of services.

I prefer to buy locally, but I've had a lot of problems with items I used to be able to get locally no longer being available anywhere besides Amazon or some other online retailer. Some of this is due to brick and mortar stores going out of business, but it is also due to big box retailers and local grocery stores reducing the variety of products they carry. I hate having to use Amazon and very glad I have the option.

I prefer to buy locally, but I've had a lot of problems with items I used to be able to get locally no longer being available anywhere besides Amazon or some other online retailer. Some of this is due to brick and mortar stores going out of business, but it is also due to big box retailers and local grocery stores reducing the variety of products they carry. I hate having to use Amazon and very glad I have the option.
Just think, Amazon and those Like them are the reason a lot of those Stores are Gone ...

Nope, not at all. To me the video is just a "pleaser". Main reason for Prime for me is the Faster/Free shipping. That said, I'm deep in the Amazon environment. I have Alexa devices all over both houses (total of 22), I have Fire Sticks on essentially every TV (total of 17 devices), each of my kids have Fire tablets (4), wife and I both have Kindle readers, etc.

Reactions: KAB and TheKrell
Well. Kinda' sorta'. Covid kind of stung the new movie and series market. So. Do I watch a lot of video content? Not so much really. Some. Not tons. I'll let my Disney+ run out. A few friends share their streaming accounts with me. I fling 'em a six pack here and there. The music is okay. I don't rent anything at all ever.
In the electronics market. Amazon is full of crap that needs careful vetting. Clones, rebadged, poor quality items abound. Prime, Get it next day works good for me since there is a major warehouse in my state.
I wanted a genuine Alfa wifi device. No seller could provide confirmation that they were in fact genuine. None.
Things like multimeter leads and need-it-now gadgets get a 60/40 rating.
So an outside-of-Amazon review of an Amazon product sold by <insert seller here> has revealed a lot.
I would have to say that Amazon Rogaine hasn't helped Bezos one iota.
But my niece gets a lot of food from them. Daily deliveries.
It's easy to silkscreen or pad print a bogus logo of a genuine product on a fake. Reviews can be faked also.
eBay on the other hand. "Distance Nearest First". And contact seller has provided a wealth of pre-buy confidence.
That's about all I got.