Anybody get rid of diplexers to combat rain fade?

dankgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Here in Northern California we are entering the rainy season. While I have the 24" dish, we are still having bad rain fade. I am trying to optimize my setup so I get the best signal I can. One of the easiest things I can do is get rid of the diplexers, and if that works well I can run a new cable for my OTA antenna. I have read that they lose 1-3dB each, so with 2 diplexors I am losing 2-6dB of signal which is quite a bit!

Any success stories?

THANKS!
--Dan

This may be of help. Several weeks ago...

we lost most of our OTAs. We thought it was due to our first fall wind storm. However, the serviceman sent replaced two defective cable connectors both outside between the antenna and the STB. Signal came right back. "Just to be on the safe side" he replaced those for the sat antenna as well. We haven't had another rain fade yet with our 18" antenna but may as the storms and rain increase. He said that the original installer had distorted the connectors letting rain in which shorted out the signal. They (this installer and his company) have gone to a new type of connector which has a much better seal.

Good luck in "northern California". Is it really northern or sort of "middle" around SF?

Watching election results in partial HDTV under clearing Seattle skies, Gill

Use a good diplexor and it should not be an issue. I used my existing pair when Voom was installed and I have no problems with them. I'm also using a 24" dish that I provided.

I am so excited, I stopped by the hardware store this weekend and picked up 100' of RG6 and all the hardware I need to un-diplex my setup. Hopefully I can also rig up the dish while I am up there (to keep it aimed right at the sat. through what I consider mild wind). My hope is that once I get rid of the power sucking diplexers, my signal strength will be good enough even during rain.

I was going to just remove the OTA antenna hookup and run with just the dish for a while, but then I figured that if I did lose the dish signal, I would have no OTA to fall back on. I really like having TV to watch during rainy days!

--Dan

All you need is a pair of GOOD diplexors. A good pair will have no affect on your signal. Trust me, I've used them for 4 years now and I am using them with Voom. You need to spend about $25 for the pair, don't buy the $5 version at Rat Shack or use the cheapos that come with Voom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)