anybody itchy to switch to E*??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
OK, maybe I'm bored at work but I was wondering: is it only me or are there other D* current subs itchy to go to E*? Right now I have an HD TIvo and a second tivo I got on the "free dvr" promo; with the moving deal I got a free OTA antenna, 3 months of starz; 3 months of HBo and 6 months of showtime... Still every time I go to the Dish forum and see pics of the 622 I find it so purrty that I get hypnotized and I hear a voice saying: buy me or lease me!! :D Help me brothers and sisters to not be led into temptation!!! :devil:

Not at all! Their limitatins on what you can own, horrible reputation for upgrades, and audit team making women cry. No thanks.

good point! I just hope D* won't make us pay $300 like E* is doing when the MPG4 DVR comes out.

projectorsrule said:
Not at all! Their limitatins on what you can own, horrible reputation for upgrades, and audit team making women cry. No thanks.

Fgsilva said:
OK, maybe I'm bored at work but I was wondering: is it only me or are there other D* current subs itchy to go to E*? Right now I have an HD TIvo and a second tivo I got on the "free dvr" promo; with the moving deal I got a free OTA antenna, 3 months of starz; 3 months of HBo and 6 months of showtime... Still every time I go to the Dish forum and see pics of the 622 I find it so purrty that I get hypnotized and I hear a voice saying: buy me or lease me!! :D Help me brothers and sisters to not be led into temptation!!! :devil:

No,Hell No !!!!!!!!!!!!

I've given it a couple of trips through the thought process and I don't think so at this time. I still see folks talking about the POS 811 that they have, broken promises for features that were supposed to be made available on a STB and they're not there yet or now they'll never be there (NBR on the 5XX boxes in the still waiting and DishHome on the 921 or was it the 942). Plus I still don't like their practice of telling their customers something one day and a week or two later telling them something completly different (the MPEG4 is many months away and a month later here's the MPEG4 roll out schedule). Right now for me it's between D* and Comcast, have both at this time. I'll be interested in seeing on how TNT-HD looks. HD-Lite isn't that bad for my since I have a 720p plasma so not missing much on the down rez. If it's not bad I'll probaly drop Comcast again (I try them every 6 months or so to see if they've gotten the Motol 6412 or 3412 less buggy) and just hang in with D* for awhile still.

Fgsilva said:

NO! Don't do it man! Let's get you talked down from the ledge. 150 National in the next 2 years...........just say no man!!

Right now my wallet is speaking louder!! ;) No way I'll give E* $300 to just lease an equipment! I may just keep my 811 for a while with the old voom package and as an extra source for OTA (in case I'm recording from all 4 tuners of my HD TIVO :hungry: )

javahh said:
NO! Don't do it man! Let's get you talked down from the ledge. 150 National in the next 2 years...........just say no man!!

Ergen HAS delivered more and better HD than D*, VOOM is a good package and not what it's detractors claim. I have both D* and E* HD and E* far supasses D*, the NEW 211 has a great OTA tuner and has ethernet and works as promised. MY 1 year commit to D* from buying my H10 for $200,(as opposed to my $0 upfront outlay to E*)is up on April 14th and D* is gonna get a adios amigos call very early that day. HD LIL means nothing to me as I get OTA HD from 3 different markets, E* IS delivering me real HD content where D* is all promises of HD nirvana someday in the future.

Fgsilva said:
Right now my wallet is speaking louder!! ;) No way I'll give E* $300 to just lease an equipment! I may just keep my 811 for a while with the old voom package and as an extra source for OTA (in case I'm recording from all 4 tuners of my HD TIVO :hungry: )

Whew!!!Thought we had lost another one there at first. I just ordered the H20 and AT9 Dish for a cool $99.00 installed from D*. I live in the Western Carolina's and understand no MPEG 4 till middle of the year, but I'll be ready. So far the whole HD experience has been quite amazing. I have a Panasonic 36" HD monitor and Sony Surround system and it drives the beautiful wife absolutely crazy that all I now watch is HD. And I watch it loud. I get ABC, FOX, and PBS OTA, and CBSHD from D*. I am as excited as a school boy with his first crush that TNTHD will appear 17FEB06.

I've thought about it. I've even got to experience the new VIP211 with all the HD channels and I thought about it even more. The new receivers are at least IMO very nice.

I am under contract for the HD Tivo, if it was not for that I would really consider making a switch. However I am still comfortable with the service and plans D* has laid out for the "kind of" near future. When D* gets the new birds up and their plans become a little more clear I will know if I need to re-visit the idea of switching to E*, Comcast or Verizon Fios if it's available in my area by then.

Fgsilva said:

I used to be tied to D* because of ST, but after their every year, outrageous price increase, this year was canceled, so it is not an issue with me anymore. Now every so often I research my possibilities. My local cable company is out of the question, because they don't even carry one of our local RSNs. I compared the full package of everything, plus HD that D* & E* has to offer. With E* current price structure and D* upcoming changes to theirs, I can save $5.00 a month on the entire package with E*, plus get a few more HD stations with their Voom channels, for what that is worth. But E* doesn't carry OLN which has a lot of hockey games on it, so with me that is a big downfall.

Lately I have been looking again. I was over to my sister-in-laws house and they have E*. I couldn't believe how bad the SD PQ was on it. When a program would go to a black screen, or a real dark scene, the screen was not black, but full of dark gray and black boxes. Not sure if it was bad equipment or if that is normal for E*, but it was very bad PQ. I get good clean black or dark screens with my D* system.

I have a feeling with all that E* has been doing with their HD programing increases, that D* is not far behind with some big improvements to their HD package. As people are buying newer TV, that are HD, they are going to be looking for the best deal for an HD programing. Who ever offers the best deal will get the new customers. I know currently HD customers vs SD customers is a small percentage. From now on that percentage is going to climb. The big goal of satellite providers is getting new customers, and those new customers are going to be looking for HD programing to fill those new HDTV screens.

I will hang in there, sticking with D*, for a while longer and see what takes place, in the next few months.

lou_do said:
I used to be tied to D* because of ST, but after their every year, outrageous price increase, this year was canceled, so it is not an issue with me anymore. Now every so often I research my possibilities. My local cable company is out of the question, because they don't even carry one of our local RSNs. I compared the full package of everything, plus HD that D* & E* has to offer. With E* current price structure and D* upcoming changes to theirs, I can save $5.00 a month on the entire package with E*, plus get a few more HD stations with their Voom channels, for what that is worth. But E* doesn't carry OLN which has a lot of hockey games on it, so with me that is a big downfall.

Lately I have been looking again. I was over to my sister-in-laws house and they have E*. I couldn't believe how bad the SD PQ was on it. When a program would go to a black screen, or a real dark scene, the screen was not black, but full of dark gray and black boxes. Not sure if it was bad equipment or if that is normal for E*, but it was very bad PQ. I get good clean black or dark screens with my D* system.

I have a feeling with all that E* has been doing with their HD programing increases, that D* is not far behind with some big improvements to their HD package. As people are buying newer TV, that are HD, they are going to be looking for the best deal for an HD programing. Who ever offers the best deal will get the new customers. I know currently HD customers vs SD customers is a small percentage. From now on that percentage is going to climb. The big goal of satellite providers is getting new customers, and those new customers are going to be looking for HD programing to fill those new HDTV screens.

I will hang in there, sticking with D*, for a while longer and see what takes place, in the next few months.

Sounds about right to me.

lou_do said:
As people are buying newer TV, that are HD, they are going to be looking for the best deal for an HD programing. Who ever offers the best deal will get the new customers. I know currently HD customers vs SD customers is a small percentage. From now on that percentage is going to climb. The big goal of satellite providers is getting new customers, and those new customers are going to be looking for HD programing to fill those new HDTV screens.

I fit this profile. Just bought a new 50" LCD HDTV and I have a feeling Directv will not be able to satisfy me. Looking at the host of HD prog. over at Dish makes me want to switch over. Like everyone else I'm looking for the one with the most to offer and lowest upfront fees. I need a new receiver either way since my current Directv rec. does not have componet output just s-video.

I don't want to buy one since the H20 has software issues. I rather lease one just in case. I hope its free (with 1 year contract hope not 2 year) then I may keep Directv a little longer. If I have to pay more than 50 bucks....Dish here I come.

climo said:
I fit this profile. Just bought a new 50" LCD HDTV and I have a feeling Directv will not be able to satisfy me. Looking at the host of HD prog. over at Dish makes me want to switch over. Like everyone else I'm looking for the one with the most to offer and lowest upfront fees. I need a new receiver either way since my current Directv rec. does not have componet output just s-video.

I don't want to buy one since the H20 has software issues. I rather lease one just in case. I hope its free (with 1 year contract hope not 2 year) then I may keep DirecTV a little longer. If I have to pay more than 50 bucks....Dish here I come.

I feel that what D* has been promoting (4 locals, in each market and 150 HD Nationals), by next year, will be the better offering, if it comes into reality. They have set a time-line and we have to give them the chance to deliver within that time line, before we get to hasty to jump ship.

What software issues are you referring to with the H-20? I think you will find that any new receiver will have issues when they first comes out, we just need to make sure the provider corrects them, in updates.

I am tempted to switch to Dish just because of the PQ.

I am sick of overly compressed channels! Unfortunately, I have a lot invested in Direct AND the missus does not want to switch.

hmm I just went from E* to D*. I had both for a day where I could compare channels and on the same TV with the same cables, I could not see a difference. E* is not true HD either. IN my opinion, D* is going about things the right way as far as converting to Mpeg4. Think if D* had put up TNT-HD in mpeg4 and all of your h10-250 and other HD receivers could not get that channel. Think how pissed you would be. That is exactly what E* is doing to its customers. Only locals will be in Mpeg4 for now. If you locals are not not HD or you can get them OTA, D* is still allowing you to get every National HD channel they have. Not the case with E. I also have Voom for 6 months and watched about 5 hours total of it. Same shows that played 6 months ago are still playing today.

emu1 said:
hmm I just went from E* to D*. I had both for a day where I could compare channels and on the same TV with the same cables, I could not see a difference. E* is not true HD either. .

Just the vooms and a Cbs channels are the only one that is downrezzed right now, all other HD channels are full resouloution! just wanted to clarify!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)