anybody itchy to switch to E*??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just switched from E* to D* and let em tell you What a difference!!!!

People E* may not do as much HD-LITE but what good is full rez at a ridiculous bitrate. Trust me I had the VIP211 since first of Feb and while it is a good reciever and Marketing Wise it seems like the grass is greener over there it isn't. Of all the Voom channels Rave is the only one I watched, along with Kung-FU every once in awhile so 2 out of 15 channels!!

The PQ over there is horrible like Javahh above said I always had Artifacts in a dark black scene even with HD programming hasn't happened yet on D* but it's all about what YOU want.......and I like D* alot better so far.

Only complaint I have is the difference in the DVR systems but I found ways around what I neded to have done.

Just my .02

Well, now that D* has TNTHD the fire has had some water thrown on it, so, I'm holding for now, but, that 622 looks daaaaammmmmm nice.

I'm tempted to switch but I'm waiting until later this year. I'm waiting for the first company to come out with a good whole house distribution system and ability to move shows to portable devices.

nickg420 said:
I just switched from E* to D* and let em tell you What a difference!!!!

People E* may not do as much HD-LITE but what good is full rez at a ridiculous bitrate. Trust me I had the VIP211 since first of Feb and while it is a good reciever and Marketing Wise it seems like the grass is greener over there it isn't. Of all the Voom channels Rave is the only one I watched, along with Kung-FU every once in awhile so 2 out of 15 channels!!

The PQ over there is horrible like Javahh above said I always had Artifacts in a dark black scene even with HD programming hasn't happened yet on D* but it's all about what YOU want.......and I like D* alot better so far.

Only complaint I have is the difference in the DVR systems but I found ways around what I neded to have done.

Just my .02

nick,

so how did the install go?

so does the siding look like a truck hit it? are there 1 inch holes bored in your roof? to hear some on here tell it , i bet the tech was drunk and cursing at the mrs:rolleyes:

did he have a real drill or did he use a sledge hammer to run the coax through the walls?? LOL

Last edited:
Fgsilva said:
OK, maybe I'm bored at work but I was wondering: is it only me or are there other D* current subs itchy to go to E*? Right now I have an HD TIvo and a second tivo I got on the "free dvr" promo; with the moving deal I got a free OTA antenna, 3 months of starz; 3 months of HBo and 6 months of showtime... Still every time I go to the Dish forum and see pics of the 622 I find it so purrty that I get hypnotized and I hear a voice saying: buy me or lease me!! :D Help me brothers and sisters to not be led into temptation!!! :devil:

the voice you are hearing is SATAN himself, he is now based in the denver area. what you need to defend your mortal brain is a six pack, a directv system and a clove of garlic. get down on your knees and thank God almighty you have DIRECTV.

dragon002 said:
the voice you are hearing is SATAN himself, he is now based in the denver area. what you need to defend your mortal brain is a six pack, a directv system and a clove of garlic. get down on your knees and thank God almighty you have DIRECTV.

LOL

Yeah, I'm definitely thinking about switching back to E*. For me it's all about the HD DVR which is why I switched to D* eighteen months ago. I had the E* 921 DVR and it was horrible (it still is based on the reports I've seen recently). I switched to get the HD Tivo and have been very happy with it other than how slow it is to do just about everything involving menus including the guide.

The problem is the HD Tivo is going away soon. It will be sooner rather than later for me since I can't get adequate OTA reception due to multipath problems. D*'s first attempt at a home grown DVR (the R15) looks like a disaster with tons of bugs and missing features such as dual buffers. The HR20 is reportedly just an HD version of the R15 plus who knows when they'll actually release it. Various reports say the next few months but who really knows. The HMC product seems to be missing in action totally.

E*'s 942 DVR seems to be much better than the 921 and probably pretty close to the HD Tivo in terms of reliability. I even like some of it's features better such as PIP, ability to record three shows at once (two satellite and one OTA), two hour buffers, picture-in-guide, OTA signal meter, etc. E* did something smart in that the new MPEG-4 compatible DVR 622 is simply an upgraded 942. They've taken a stable and feature rich DVR and simply added MPEG-4 compatability. This is exactly what D* should have done to the HD Tivo.

I'm basically waiting for E* to add MPEG-4 locals for the San Francisco market and I'm probably gone. I think the programming is pretty similar between the two services unless you want the NFL Sunday Ticket and pricing isn't that different either so the DVR product is the decisive point for me.

OK guys- let me know where my thinking has gone wrong and why I'd be crazy to do this. I know the grass always looks greener on the other side but in this case I'm pretty sure it is.

Bob

LOL! And he looks like Ergen??? :D Seriously, cause of my moving I'm locked again in a year commitment with D*. That will give me time to see what will happen with D* in terms of new HD DVR, more HD, etc. Let's also what will happen with the E* folksand their 622

dragon002 said:

Stick with D*. I used to have both E* and D* but recently dropped E* and bought 4 H20's and an MPEG4 setup. I had the E* 942 which is a great receiver. But, even though there's no MPEG4 DVR unit for D* as of yet, I'm happy with the switch. I've got HD locals, I'm crazy about Sunday Ticket, and the DVR stuff will come. Sometimes patience is in order.

Though I read viewpoints here that some folks have love/hate relationships with either D* or E*, my own view is that they are both good. Though the E*942 may have a very slight PQ edge, it's a very slight edge at best when compared with the H20. The PQ with the H20 is stunning at times. I've also noticed that I prefer the D* HD local PQ over antenna PQ on the same HDTV, and my antenna signal levels are very high.

There are always trade offs, I suppose, but once D* has MPEG4 DVR's available, I think they'll have the clear advantage.

I love my HR10-250 and my HDVR2 upgraded to 120 hours. I paid next to nothing for my equipment between new subscriber deals in 2003 and the HR10-250 upgrade in August.

Over the years I paid $700.00+ for a flakey 6000, added HD and OTA modules, $300 for a Dishplayer and the joy of doing daily resets and no upgrade path.

DirecTV has given me free programming with my equipment upgrades. I had Showtime for a year and three months for free with my upgrades, HBO for free when I got my first equipment and discounts on the HD pack. I have also had discounts on my programming package for 6 months. I did have a hassle getting a rebate but got a programming credit instead.

Unless DirecTv quits supporting my equipment or gives me no reasonable upgrade path, I am staying put. If they do drive me away I will go back to cable.

DishNetwork - been there done that.... :(

dragon002 said:
nick,

so how did the install go?

so does the siding look like a truck hit it? are there 1 inch holes bored in your roof? to hear some on here tell it , i bet the tech was drunk and cursing at the mrs:rolleyes:

did he have a real drill or did he use a sledge hammer to run the coax through the walls?? LOL

My install went great the guy actually called and gave me several options on how I could mirror my DVR to other TVs and even informed me that the PQ would degrade somewhat with every mirror.

He took down my E* equipment at no charge and hid all of his wires he charged me 40 bucks to mirror the DVR but it was at oppisite ends of the house my wife gave him 60 cash.

He told my wife every install he does as if it were his own house.

I am very pleased and my roof does not leak.

nick,

there are great techs out here, i told you?!!

all the worrying you did because of a few naysayers on here that love to bash techs.

im glad all went well for you, good luck and enjoy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts