anybody resurfaced their cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbjbany

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
El Dorado Hills, CA Nr Sacramento
Just started the planning for a kitchen remodel and we are trying to keep the budget down.
We will be here for a few more years so want to do a decent job on the whole thing.

So i was wondering if anybody had done the resurfacing route ? Did it look ok after a couple of years or need redoing ? It is cheaper but i dont want to be have to fix it again in a couple of years.

Any input welcome

quote we got some years ago resurfacing was more than brand new not fancy cabinets.......

a few years ago we remodeled my moms old home ands sold it, with cabinets from lowes.

take the dimensions and vist a store, they can give you prices for comparison

I did it myself about ten years ago and ended up saving a lot of money. Total cost for the resurface was under $200.

I was fortunate white laminate was in style then, so I simply sanded down the '70s flat faced doors and cabinets, laid laminate down over the doors, cut back the edges and attached oak pull mouldings on the edge away from the hinges (drill locating holes and use pegs). I then laid down oak laminate strips over the plywood edges. Cleanup was done with a router using a router table.

I sanded down the cabinets themselves and stained them. When I reassembled, I had something that looked very contemporary at almost no cost. It took two weekends to do the job.

It may be tougher to do today as that flat laminate look is now dated and inserts are a lot tougher. The laminate will last forever if you follow the instructions carefully. I have twenty year old laminate projects that look like I did them yesterday. I also did ceramic tile flooring and countertops at the same time.

We won't discuss the cost once we add in replacing the harvest gold appliances. :)

thanks both, yea we have custom cabinets in now so the lowes approach is a little harder, hence the reface/refinish instead of buy new.

Im just a little concerned on how good they stay and for how long. Hence the question.

I had white laminates that I replaced from Lowes. The laminate is not very good next to your stove. Heat makes them release from the particle board. If your current cabinets are wood, consider paint or stain. Laminate is cheap looking in comparison.
We went from this

To this

yep we could start from scratch with lowes, we like the maple have them in our utility room.

We just pricied it roughly and as you mentioned not too pricey, wifey real did want to replace it all, so this may be a winner. We haev wood now, and yea the paint thing had me worried about how good that would look.

Anyway good input and kevin, the kitchen looks good.

yep we could start from scratch with lowes, we like the maple have them in our utility room.

We just pricied it roughly and as you mentioned not too pricey, wifey real did want to replace it all, so this may be a winner. We haev wood now, and yea the paint thing had me worried about how good that would look.

Anyway good input and kevin, the kitchen looks good.

Thanks

lacking the money for my wifes dream kitchen including ripping out a structural wall...... no biggie probably 25 grand, she wants special cabinets for everything:(

had a plumber replace all the sink tub drain lines above the kitchen. part of the cieling had come down:( having a friend do the drywall, he is great.

will replace cieling paint room and cabinets and probably install new vinyl floor tiles.

want to get this done before my brother and his new gal friend visit frst week of june.

my wife isnt into this at all:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)