Anyone considering moving to DTV because of HDTV announcemen

flavorguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
AVS is reporting that DTV will be carrying CBS-HD and FOX-ED shortly (around Superbowl time). This is available to anyone in the market areas serviced by O&O stations (NYC, Phila, Chicago ...)

When I became a Dish customer 2 years ago it was because they offered the most HD programming at the time. I am slowly regretting this decision as DTV is obviously taking a lead in HD programing.

Anyone else considering a switch? I mean, why stick with E* when it appears DTV is becoming more aggressive with their offerings?

Honestly, I have given it more thought than I ever have in the past. Today it was annoucnced that D* will be carrying my locals once their new Sat goes up too. If D* has more compelling HD programming (i.e. both CBS and Fox) when my locals are ready (2Q?) I will probably switch.

Dish has had CBS-HD for a while now and Fox wont have any HD until the fall. Why would this make you switch?

There are many folks here that are D* HD subs who say that their HD PQ is poor due to over compression. The current feeling is that E* has better HD PQ but that could also change once D* launches the new satellite. No harm in waiting awhile to see what happens with D* to see if things get better over there. Speaking only for myself I would rather have the better PQ since that's really what you're paying for with HD anyway.

I'd Love to go OTA but...

I'd love to go OTA but many of us in Western NJ have a unique problem...

We are sheltered from NYC due to mountains running North/South, and we are still rural enough so that local cable companies will not invest in digital infrastructure... I could pull in Philly (perhaps) but this would require a HUGE antenna and I'm in a neighborhood where this would not sit well with the neighbors (or my wife)..

Just venting for the most part but I really can't take DISH as being an HD leader anymore...where's my STARZ HD, my Bravo HD etc?

I'd Love to go OTA but...

I'd love to go OTA but many of us in Western NJ have a unique problem...

We are sheltered from NYC due to mountains running North/South, and we are still rural enough so that local cable companies will not invest in digital infrastructure... I could pull in Philly (perhaps) but this would require a HUGE antenna and I'm in a neighborhood where this would not sit well with the neighbors (or my wife)..

Just venting for the most part but I really can't take DISH as being an HD leader anymore...where's my STARZ HD, my Bravo HD etc?

The Direct TV HD Quality problem was clear up Two months ago.

It was when they were switching to there new software that alows both One HD channel and some SD channels on the same transponder.

All is good now.

Both companies have the same quality of HD now.

I Don't think the Fox-ED, or CBS-HD mean that much. I get ABC-HD, CBS-HD, NBC-HD, KQED-HD, WB-HD, and UPN-HD (finally see Enterprise-HD Woo hooo!).

Anyway, the OTA thing is great on my 6000.

The point is this. Right now, you need a super dish to get the horribly compressed locals in some areas because there is a bandwidth problem cramming local channels for every area.

There is not way in the foreseeable future that they will ever be able to carry everyone's locals in HD. How big will the super dish get?? :|

This is why our dish receivers come complete with an 8VSB module, they know they can't provide the content. This is why the 921 allows you to record it even.

Someone needs to provide a signal in Rural NJ, and it is not foreseeable that it will be the satellite company, E*, or D*, or V*.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts