Anyone else fill out the form at www.iwantmyhdtv.com?

Current locals are SD have DishNet convert to HD

Yep, a lot of us get our locals right off dish network. The local's need to uplink in HD and DishNet needs to broaden the bandwidth then downlink in HD. Simple. Cut the junk channels and increase the HD bandwidth.

It would take too much bandwidth for Dish to broadcast all the locals in HD.......not gonna happen anytime soon. However, the "Distant network" feeds from New York and
Los Angeles would be a good alternative for those who care more about HD then the
ability to receive locals(same programming)even if it means not getting their local news and weather. This option would also leave more room for other HD programming
in the distant future when the Dish VP of programming finally discovers "Compelling" HD
channels.

Grandude - I agree with almost everything you say. I just feel that as long as there is limited bandwith, that any new HD at this time should be that which no current HD sub can get, such as Bravo-HD, TNT-HD, and/or any others that aren't already available to many, if not most, via OTA.

GaryPen said:
Grandude - I agree with almost everything you say. I just feel that as long as there is limited bandwith, that any new HD at this time should be that which no current HD sub can get, such as Bravo-HD, TNT-HD, and/or any others that aren't already available to many, if not most, via OTA.
And I agree withe almost everything you say....BUT...
I do wonder if your assumption is accurate that 'many, if not most, via OTA' is correct. Let me explain:
At 8 or 9 am on Sunday I can get virtually all the network channels OTA with a little breathing room. Signal strength, as measured on the 811, between 65 and 78% on a clear day. As the day wears on, the signal drops on all but two down into the 49% to mid 50% and, of course I am out of luck. I don't understand what is going on but suspect that as the sun heats the air, smog develops and the signal is reduced.
I know that HDTV transmission is still in its infancy and it might be that after things settle down the reception might be more reliable. I hope so anyway.
I am still playing with antennas and haven't given up. Here in the SF Bay Area, most transmission is from Sutro Tower which is undergoing seismic retrofit and most stations are not on the air daytimes except Sundays.
ERGO, it would be SO nice if the networks were HD from Dish. But, like I say,
that is my druthers............
On a side note, I watched a couple of car races in HD on HDNET today and was amazed. THe cars almost looked like toys going around a track. Just wish the Taledega race today would have been HD. The accidents would have been spectacular. (no one was hurt)

You do realize that a lot of your OTA reception issues are due to the 811 itself, right? If they fix that, you'll see a lot of Dish HD subs suddenly receiving a lot more HD OTA.

BTW, I live down in SJ, and receive ALL SF Sutro DTV stations, as well as ALL other Bay Area DTV stations, even with the flaky OTA of the 811.

So even if the locals wanted to add digital repeaters they could not.
This is not true. A company in Utah was concerned about all the analog repeaters currently in use and what would happen to them the day analog dies. They did a test and found that with very little modification, the analog repeaters could be modified to pass throught the digital signal, so I think you will see digital repeaters after analog is shut off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts