Anyone else getting bored with Sling?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I've you've got a 4228 and still having issues you might try a preamp. I've got the old style 4228 with a CM7777 I think it is. I'm only 35-40 miles from stations and there's a few lower power ones I don't get without the amp

I am presently in day 3 of the free 7 day offer from Sling TV.
I have a couple of comments.
First, I like the concept; a limited package of channels for a good price and 2nd; no commitment. The set up was super easy and the quality is good (since I have DSL, the true HD isn't there but it's okay).
Having said that, I have a couple of observations. Commercials! I've been away from pay cable/satellite too long. I really am hooked on Netflix, and Warner, Hulu, etc. On-demand and commercial free. Granted, Hulu Plus has commercials but are reasonable by limiting them to two or three at a break. With Sling, it's like deja vu all over, commercials by the truck load. Same or even worse than OTA. I realize they pay the bills and I know exactly where the Mute button is but at this point, I just don't think I'll keep Sling beyond the free trial.
It's a good idea but I think I'll stick with the on-demand services I currently have.

Reactions: Blindowl1234
Im still debating it, but Sling makes all the sense in the world for us. The ONLY live tv we watch is football, rest of the year it may be a situation where the wife is bored and I am at work, and she watches Cooking all day or something. Sling TV is fine here, as well as getting me the ESPN's.

I get all my locals on the Tivo Roamio, and can record them with is, plus get access to most of the cable shows in one way or another. Big issue is premiums for me right now. If I drop them and want HBO later, itll cost $/15 month more, so now I am at $45/month with Sling tv. Then, any of the other series I like that come out on Starz, etc..., I'll have to buy blu-rays of the seasons.

I recently got my Directv bill reduced by $32/month, so I may just stick with them for now. Have to think about it a little more.

I am presently in day 3 of the free 7 day offer from Sling TV.
I have a couple of comments.
First, I like the concept; a limited package of channels for a good price and 2nd; no commitment. The set up was super easy and the quality is good (since I have DSL, the true HD isn't there but it's okay).
Having said that, I have a couple of observations. Commercials! I've been away from pay cable/satellite too long. I really am hooked on Netflix, and Warner, Hulu, etc. On-demand and commercial free. Granted, Hulu Plus has commercials but are reasonable by limiting them to two or three at a break. With Sling, it's like deja vu all over, commercials by the truck load. Same or even worse than OTA. I realize they pay the bills and I know exactly where the Mute button is but at this point, I just don't think I'll keep Sling beyond the free trial.
It's a good idea but I think I'll stick with the on-demand services I currently have.

Why would you think it wouldn't have commercials? It's direct feeds, not delayed on-demand like Hulu.

Im still debating it, but Sling makes all the sense in the world for us. The ONLY live tv we watch is football, rest of the year it may be a situation where the wife is bored and I am at work, and she watches Cooking all day or something. Sling TV is fine here, as well as getting me the ESPN's.

I get all my locals on the Tivo Roamio, and can record them with is, plus get access to most of the cable shows in one way or another. Big issue is premiums for me right now. If I drop them and want HBO later, itll cost $/15 month more, so now I am at $45/month with Sling tv. Then, any of the other series I like that come out on Starz, etc..., I'll have to buy blu-rays of the seasons.

I recently got my Directv bill reduced by $32/month, so I may just stick with them for now. Have to think about it a little more.
My thing was yeah, I may end up paying close to the same, but it wont be a committed bill. If I decide this month I do not want to have as high of a bill, I do not have to.
The not having a commitment was key to me.

Of course in saying that, I do have a commitment with dish and the welcome pack, but as where you are using an OTA antenna and a TiVo for locals, I am just using dish to do the same since my local situation is a little more complex. The cost worked out to about the same as having the antenna and two tivos for me, so I went with simplicity and used sling to fill in my desire for ESPN gap. I am saving about $25-30 a month total once it is all said and done over what I had.

This is definitely new territory, and the good thing is there are so many options right now to get a decent tv selection for cheaper $$$ than 12 months ago.

Let's face it, a decent package with Direct/Dish and some hardware has really gotten out of hand cost wise IMO. I mean $70 for a package, $25 for a HDDVR, and then start with $15/month for HBO.

Why would you think it wouldn't have commercials? It's direct feeds, not delayed on-demand like Hulu.
I knew there would be commercials. My point is the fact that I've been away from cable/satellite long enough with streaming services that the number of ads really became an issue for me. I can watch multi-blocks of them on OTA but choose not to. I'm going to buy a Tivo to get access to an OTA DVR so I can 'jump' over the ads. Muting them isn't enough.

Just disconnected my Sling from my Hopper. Never really used and couldn't figure the whole big deal with it. Tossed it in a drawer to collect dust.

Just disconnected my Sling from my Hopper. Never really used and couldn't figure the whole big deal with it. Tossed it in a drawer to collect dust.
You do know that Sling TV and the sling that you disconnected from your hopper are two totally different things?

My reason for dumping cable was not just cost but the video compression was irritating me. If I'm paying for something I would like it to be an enjoyable experience. With our 2 Tivo's and OTA antenna the experience is exactly what I want/expect...a beautiful picture. Doesn't cost a lot, no big investment either.

I read today that Sling will be adding A&E networks soon. Anyone know if you will be able to use their Sling logon to access their apps then? That would help address the lack of a DVR, at least for those channels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I cut the cord yesterday (by putting DISH on pause -- so we can still watch things already recorded on our 722 DVR). We will see if the family can live with Sling TV + Netflix + Hulu + OTA (using WMC and Media Server to get live streaming as well as recorded TV on my Rokus and other DLNA devices). The kids already prefer it already to what we had with DISH. I myself am getting used to it -- hopefully my wife will too!

Sling is coming along since I originally started this thread. I like that they're adding new channels and more coming soon. We've had the welcome pak for a long time for the wife. The picture quality with Sling is a 100% improvement over the compressed stuff on dish.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Sling is coming along since I originally started this thread. I like that they're adding new channels and more coming soon. We've had the welcome pak for a long time for the wife. The picture quality with Sling is a 100% improvement over the compressed stuff on dish.
Amen to that!! ;) :)

I bought into Sling TV just for the DIY channel. I still have cable (will never cut the cord) only until my provider gets DIY, which is never. I've added additional packages too, but I don't see how anyone could use this service as a primary. Just not allot to pick from. I know it's just starting, but I thought more options would be available too.

I could easily use this as a primary, as it has the few channels that I watch.
Assuming it stays stable that is, it has left me high and dry the last two weeks during the walking dead. Did eventually start yesterday, but after 15 minutes in.

Had to cancel Sling. They ask why when you do so. Said WrestleM 31 was on this weekend so I'm going with the channel that has it. Might come back later, especially if they can get Mayweather Pacquiao.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts