Anyone Else Getting Pixelation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yankee495

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Southwest Missouri
I'm getting pixelation on everything I've tried from 87w to 139w on my S9. Was watching GMDX over on 99w and moved to 87w METV and was still getting it. Now on G17 and still getting it. Have rebooted, hard reset, checked it all out, still got it every few seconds, like 5-30 secs at random which takes out the sound too, but not every time.

The LED on the front of the receiver blinks sometimes, the one by the channel readout. This started around 9:30 AM Central time. I read somewhere this past week or so about a solar flare type disruption being possible soon so I was wondering if this is it?

S9 has been running great all morning till then. In fact I've been up all night doing a little research.

I forgot to say, that LED goes out when you are on a TP with no signal. Never payed attention to it till now but it blinks when you change channel and goes off when there is no signal at all.

It has stopped doing it after just a little over 2 hours. Was really bugging me wondering if something was about to go...back to normal now.

Water in a connector? Coax flexing with temperature changes? Motor mount flexing with temperature changes? (Probably not in MO, but you never know.)

That solar flare at the beginning of the week was pretty much a non-event. The only reason people are making such a big deal about every one that comes along these days is because we just got out of an abnormally long period when there were none at all. Back before that happened, the thought was that the next peak, due next year or so, would be abnormally powerful. Now, seeing how long it's taking to even get back to average, the growing thought is that the next peak might even be the last one for the foreseeable future.

Yes-I'd go ahead and check your connections.Maybe even go ahead and redo them if they look bad.
When I install OTA antennas I always use silicone in the connectors.Who want to keep climbing towers because of a faulty connection?
I think the next time I change a connection for any satellite install,I'll also use silicone.I'm located in south Louisiana,and the moisture gets in everything

southofi-10,

You are right about the moisture down on Louisians, and it has given me some ploblems with my coax connections, and this will certainly degrade the incoming signal.

Maybe I am just lucky then, I haven't noticed many if any problems with moisture down here. I do, however, use T&B Ultimate coax connectors, and all my lnb's are protected with some kind of a cover to keep the rain off of them, all my ground blocks terminate inside plastic service boxes (or rubbermaid containers...LOL). A little pre-planning goes a long way keeping water out of places it doesn't need to be, IMO. :)

If the OP was using that Viewsat Ultra, it sounds like the one I had awhile back, right before it died a power supply death!

If the OP was using that Viewsat Ultra, it sounds like the one I had awhile back, right before it died a power supply death![/QUOTE

A few years ago I had a Viewsat, which started pixelating. First, I suspected growing neighbour's tree, and with his consent, trimmed a few branches. It did not help, so I replaced receiver. But it bothered me to find out, what was the reason of its malfunction. After checking voltages and diodes, I noticed that the main cap was warm more than it should be. I found a replacement from a scrap - it was too tall, so I mounted it horizontally. As I did not want to risk soldering too close to rectifying diodes, I used mechanical connections from old Terminal Block. It looks terrible, but this receiver still works OK. So it was power supply, but repairable. Cheers, polg IMG_0160.JPGIMG_0169.JPG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts