Anyone else have a Freestream Elite/Pro?

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
We moved from a FiosTV area where we were quite happy using a Whole Home Tivo solution (3 DVRs w/Lifetime (12TB of storage) and 3 Minis), to an area with AT&T U-Verse. Their Gb Internet is outstanding, but their TV is pricey (and with fees), U-Verse IPTV is not compatible with our Tivos and their DVR is rubbish not to mention paying unwanted equipment fees.

So we've been using and evaluating other streaming services...Hulu, Youtube TV, Sony Vue, Philo, Sling and, most recently, DirecTV Now. All have some good points, and all have some bad points (e.g, horrible UI, crappy DVR, can't skip commercials (especially some sporting events, can't start a life sports even from the beginning until it's over, missing channels or it's more of an add-on service, etc.) We have been using YouTube TV (which we generally like although it too has some issues), but picked-up at Freestream Elite/Pro while out-and-about this weekend.

Is anyone else using a Freestream box? Offhand, it really offers a lot...but only if you're streaming Live TV. However, if you're wanting to steam some shows you would otherwise watch on the DVR...well, that seems to be hit or miss. I we missing something (tips or tricks?) or is this just the nature of the beast? I'm probably going to keep the box because it's great for catching live out-of-market games (sports), news, and movies. However, I just gotta have something that's more rock-solid reliable to watch the shows I wanna watch, when I want to watch them.

Thoughts? And yes, I would probably subscribe to traditional cable if it were available in my area simply because nothing beat my Tivos.

As the Freestream doesn't appear to support Android TV (Android 7.x is a prerequisite), I agree with primestar31.

Android TV would add the option of using an Over The Air (OTA) tuner and connecting to mass storage to save OTA content for time shifting or long-term storage. Examples of this would be the AirTV or Amazon's FireTV Recast.

Absent availability of channels received OTA, a <$70 streaming box would do most of the same stuff.

Depending on your needs, a Roku may be an even better (and much cheaper) option.

Watch Out For This Huge Streaming Scam! | The Streaming Advisor

Reactions: osu1991

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)