Anyone else having 510 or 508 problems tonight?

tankerman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 12, 2004
Northeastern Maryland
The 2 recievers (508/510) that I never have problems with, are having issues tonight.
Tried to tune to the weather channel (214).
Banner on the screen says it's aquiring signal, for transponder 6.
Tried a couple other channels on 119, and they say aquiring signal also.
When I go to check the signal strenghth, it says it's locked on 119, with 116 strenghth.

My 921 is working fine (ironic isn't it) picking up all channels with no problems.

Tried a front panel reboot.
Tried a smart card reboot.
Tried a power cord reboot.

Called customer service. They say I have a bad LNB. They want to send a Tech to my house. I say Bullsh!t. If I had a bad LNB, why am I having no problems with my 921?

Is there anyone else having problems with their 508 or 510. Try to tune to the weather channel.

Anyone?:confused:

Well, thanks for nothing Dish Network.

I fixed it!:D

Unscrewed all 3 inputs from my DP34.
Waited about 2 minutes.
Screwed them back in, and everything works again.

No wonder prices keep going up.
They want to send somebody to replace a LNB.
What a waste of time and money!

Ok, you got me. I guess I was too Cocky.
I just got up for work, and it's not working again.

Are there any other opinions on this matter?

How can the 2 tuners in my 921 be fine, but only certain transponders on 119 not come in on the 508 & 510? I don't get it...

Since I am a "mover" I can't have a tech bring me a LNB.
I need to purchase and install it myself.
Is everyone in agreement that this would be my 1st thing to replace?

Also, it's not an odd/even problem; it's some of each.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a 501 and a 508 this summer. Both were losing the 119 channels but my 311 worked perfectly. Got new LNBs and it fixed the problem. Don't know what it is about the 5XX's that makes them more sensitive to LNB failure but they are. There have been several strands on here this summer about this problem.

Thanks!
I should have searched first last night.
But I was kinda pissed off.

At least I know what to try first now.

Oh, btw, just got home from work, and everything is working fine.
Hopefully it fixed its own self.

It's just kind of wierd, I've never had a problem with my 508 or 510.

Now that $1k model 921, that's another story.

I have the same problem, but only with 508, all my other 5 boxes of different generations work just fine. For me the problem is the Pentagon channel. This is not consistant with LNBF, but with a bad table on the problem 508. In fact, the 508 keeps trying to access 148 tp 24, which can't be accessed. Meanwhile my other boxes correctly access 148 Tp 1. I have heard of others with bad tables having to replace the box. Good Luck.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with a customer this week. The customer has a total of seven receivers. Yes, I know that six is the limit but that is a different topic. Anyway, five of the receivers are 501's and the other two are 622's. The customer would lose local channels during the hottest part of the day, but only on the 501's. I am still trying to figure out how it is possible to lose signal on some receivers while others work fine. Any ideas?

Update to my original post:
Started having the same problem again.
I called Dish custmomer service again, they actually had a record of my previous call.
I had a really good CSR. She is shipping me a new twin LNB thru UPS.
Also, it's not being sent to my service (PA) or billing (MD) address, but it's going to my work address, which is in Delaware. I just have to pay 14.95 for shipping.
I get to install it my self, and return the old one.

Since I had such a helpful CSR, I asked about a VIP622 upgrade.
Long story, short: She is shipping me a 622 to my work address also.
Once again, some how, I have avoided having a tech come out to "my house".;)

It was a 1 hour phone call. But, it was well worth it!
:D :D :D

i'd try swapping the ports on the DP34. Take the 2 for the 921 and put them where the 510 and 508 are hooked up, and hook the 510 and 508 on the ones you had the 921 on. This will tell you if the problem follows the receivers, or the switch... if all of a sudden you start having problems with the 921... problems in the switch.... if the 510 and 508 keep having problems.... well then you have a problem :p

I can't help but think that the new LNB install somehow forces a new download of the table. I guess I can't really say for certain in your situation, but in mine and a few others who have posted, we confirmed that the problem box was attempting to accesss the wrong transponder, while the other boxes were accessing the correct transponder, a confimation of a bad table, not an LNBF. I can't recall the solution, but Dish Tech confirmed it was a bad table for them. Anyway, I hope all gets fixed with the new LNBF. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Another follow up to the story.

Received my new LNB today.
Installed it. Presto!!!
All is well.
Everyone was right, the 50X models are prone to faulty LNB's.

Thanks for all of your help.

Now I've got to wait a couple of more days for my VIP622.
Can't decided whether to keep my 921 or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)