Anyone else having problems with new timers recording ALL episodes? (722)

bchandler02

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Anyone else having problems with timers that are set to record new episodes? Mine is now recording all episodes. I've gone and changed a few from NEW to ALL and back to NEW to see if it made a difference, and no go. Also did a check switch to force new EPG download, that didn't help either. Finally, unplugged the box for about 20 minutes and that did not work either.

Issue started Saturday and has been going on ever since. Wondering if anyone else is having this problem, or if Dish has sent me yet another crappy so-called refurb'd box. The last one had timer issues as well. I am running out of patience arguing with them over charging me to replace a box that they own that they just sent me.

VIP722 with L676 software.

My 622 started doing it yesterday also. Not the first time. Last time was the first time it didn't clear up immediately with a reboot or a check switch, but it eventually cleared up within a day or so. So far it hasn't cleared up this time, and worse, after I marked some of the duplicates to skip last night, it restored them, presumably at the 3AM reboot.

Each time I've posted about it here, SOME people say they're having the same problem simultaneously, but not everybody. That's the most frustrating part -- that different receivers are reacting differently to what is presumably the same guide data.

I had the same problem with my personal 612. I canceled the events that were not necessary to record, and everything has been fine since (only happened yesterday that I know of).

...and mine would have recorded SEVERAL instances that I had already cancelled because they were repeats or episodes I did not want. Now, my events is littered with old episodes and other events I had already spent a fair amount of time Skipping. I had to do it all over again, with a lot of other events that were already automatically skipped. It really is the only thing that really ticks me off about the DISH DVR's, for they are otherwise the best beasts out there.

I am having this problem with my 922. Specifically The Soup, Colbert Report and the Daily Show. Seeing as the latter two are on 4 times a day it gets pretty tedious.

As bad as this sounds, I am glad to hear others are having the problem. Guess I don't need to worry about switching my box out, let's just hope Dish gets this fixed ASAP.

My 722k has been doing it for over a week now; lots of decidedly old episodes (with episode #s and original air dates in the guide data) set to record, but yet not for every timer... just some. Deleting and re-adding the timer made no difference. I spent half an hour skipping all the junk, and now every few days I have to do the same for the new days added to the guide (it hasn't gone back and un-skipped anything during the nightly update). On the flip side, I've also had a couple newer timers that failed to record anything (Battlestar Galactica on BBCA, for example: set to record all episodes, timer showed none, deleted/re-added and they all showed up, next day the timer was empty again).

Now I see that my 622 has dropped all guide data past tomorrow night (something it's also done in the past many times, even when it isn't experiencing the timer problem!) Hopefully when it reloads it, it'll be correct.

Now I see that my 622 has dropped all guide data past tomorrow night (something it's also done in the past many times, even when it isn't experiencing the timer problem!) Hopefully when it reloads it, it'll be correct.
Jim
Did your guide comeback? If it continues to drop it and if resetting or a check switch test doesn't correct it you may want to replace your 622.

...or if Dish has sent me yet another crappy so-called refurb'd box. The last one had timer issues as well.
Timers are 100% software, not hardware. The old box didn't have the same issue but odds are it had the same software ! Ironic that new (or used/refurbished) hardware didn't change anything... :(

My 722k has been doing it for over a week now; lots of decidedly old episodes (with episode #s and original air dates in the guide data) set to record...
Glad you pointed that out as missing episode # or original air date is most often the cause. Right or wrong, the Dish software is designed to err on the side of caution when ANY of that guide data is missing.

Since a guide update seems to fix this issue, even though the data appears to be there for the user, maybe there's enough garbage data that the timer has issues with and causes it to revert to the record-all fallback.

Jim
Did your guide comeback? If it continues to drop it and if resetting or a check switch test doesn't correct it you may want to replace your 622.

It came back.

This time there are a few old episodes showing up, but at least they have missing or generic data in one or more fields, so that's SOP. The previous problem I described, all visible data appeared to be complete and correct, yet the old episodes were still triggering "new" timers.

I'm not talking about name based recording, which I never even use.

Timers are 100% software, not hardware. The old box didn't have the same issue but odds are it had the same software ! Ironic that new (or used/refurbished) hardware didn't change anything... :(

Actually, it did. The old one would not pick up any timers and record them. This was replaced a few months back and the new box has worked fine until now.

Different box, different SW version, and different problem.

I wish that timers had a checkbox for "Don't record episodes with no program data". Some networks like to spam entire season recaps without program data (Ninja Warrior) and it fills up the DVR at an annoying rate. Some series I want to be sure I don't miss anything so assuming a program with no data is "new" is a good thing. There are quite a few however I'd be happy to skip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)