Anyone else having stb freeze problems?

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I'm having stb freeze problems again. They started back up about a week ago. And additionally the quide data absolutely will not reload after a stb reboot unless I leave the stb off. Never had that problem before, it would always reload stb on or off.

Anyone got any ideas? :confused:

I use to have the freeze problem, but it was my fault and not the STB. I was not powering on my equipment in sequence i.e. I would randomly turn on the STB then maybe the receiver then the TV, but now I power up the TV first then the audio/video receiver and the STB last and it no longer freezes.

As far as the guide info I can't help you there, mine always reloads on or off although it takes a while.

Cliff said:
I use to have the freeze problem, but it was my fault and not the STB. I was not powering on my equipment in sequence i.e. I would randomly turn on the STB then maybe the receiver then the TV, but now I power up the TV first then the audio/video receiver and the STB last and it no longer freezes.

Order makes an issue? Why should it? I've been leaving my stb on all the time because I also have it feeding to my ReplayTV via the S-Video feed. (DI to HDMI to the set itself). Haven't had a problem till the last week after the 7.26 upgrade fixed previous freezing problems sometime back.

Scott, what exactly do you mean by "stb freeze"? does the picture break up and freeze? Or does the box stop responding to your remote?
Did you check the satellite signal quality readings? I suspect your signal is not strong enough.

The order that you power up CAN make a difference, especially if you are using the DVI input on your TV. The TV has to be on first so that the STB can check for the right connections on powerup (HDMI I think)

Ilya said:
Scott, what exactly do you mean by "stb freeze"? does the picture break up and freeze? Or does the box stop responding to your remote?
Did you check the satellite signal quality readings? I suspect your signal is not strong enough.

I mean literally freeze, no break up, no distortion, just a perfect static image. And the box no longer responds to remote. Cannot change channel, cannot turn stb off, etc. Signal quality is great 96+ all the time.

SKrueger said:
I mean literally freeze, no break up, no distortion, just a perfect static image. And the box no longer responds to remote. Cannot change channel, cannot turn stb off, etc. Signal quality is great 96+ all the time.
OK, so this is a lockup. If it happens very often, this might be a bad box. Mine was very solid since 7.37.

Guess so. Called customer service and experienced my first disappointment with Voom.

No problem getting a service call but since I already had installers coming out on the 12th to add two more hookups, I asked if they could combine the calls. I was told no. That I would have to set up a separate appointment for the service call. So now I have to wait for the 19th for that. Disappointing.

Scott, I'd try again. Make sure to ask for a...

SKrueger said:
Guess so. Called customer service and experienced my first disappointment with Voom.

No problem getting a service call but since I already had installers coming out on the 12th to add two more hookups, I asked if they could combine the calls. I was told no. That I would have to set up a separate appointment for the service call. So now I have to wait for the 19th for that. Disappointing.

supervisor. They will have to coordinate with Installs, Inc. to make sure they have the extra STB but should be able to do so. Let us know what happens. At the worst you can email Wilt and maybe he can get it cleared up for you but don't bother him unless you can get satisfaction from the CSR super and Installs, Inc.

Still watching HDTV under "Geez, where did the sun go?" Seattle skies, Gill

:( Okay here's an update. Even tho' I know the Caller ID problem was fixed in 7.26 and to my knowledge has not cropped up since, the freeze is Caller ID related.

If I turn off Caller ID on the stb the freezes stop.

SKrueger said:
:( Okay here's an update. Even tho' I know the Caller ID problem was fixed in 7.26 and to my knowledge has not cropped up since, the freeze is Caller ID related.

If I turn off Caller ID on the stb the freezes stop.

this is a software issue there is nothing wrong with your box if is not freezing when you unhook the caller id.

tyork

TYORK said:
this is a software issue there is nothing wrong with your box if is not freezing when you unhook the caller id.

tyork

So who best to report software related issues to? The CSR's can't help, all they'll do is schedule a service appointment to swap out the box.

There goes that theory. I have caller id and am not experiencing any problem. I wonder if it all depends on your phone company causing the bug to appear. I'm using Cox.

You might try posting your problem on the VOOM/Yahoo forum.

SKrueger said:
So who best to report software related issues to? The CSR's can't help, all they'll do is schedule a service appointment to swap out the box.

Wilt, their VP of engineering monitors that site. However, Sean Mota is good about bringing problems posted on satguys to the attention of engineers at VOOM.

By the way, we've had caller ID "on" for months and although we had a period of lockups they were not related to having it either "on" or "off".

Although rainless in Seattle still enjoying HDTV until the dams go dark, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)