Anyone else lied too by sales staff?

dc9mm

Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Buffalo NY
When i order'ed Dish Network i was quoted over the phone $45 a month for 2 years. I get it installed and somehow they had my address correct for installation BUT had my address wrong for billing. I dont get a bill after about 1.5 months i call and ask weres my bill. They correct billing address say they will send a bill out that day. Still no bill, few weeks later i get a message on phone machine saying there going to cancel me since they recieved no payment. I call again and correct address and ask to pay bill over phone via credit card. He tells me the bill and iam shocked!!! He says its $66 a month not the $45 a month i was quoted. I tellem go ahead cancel me then. He then transfers me to someone else and they let me have the $45 a month for 1 year.
Now i agreed to 2 year commitment at $45 a month not $45 then $66 for second year. As far as iam concerned they voided oral contract when they essentially bait & Switched me.When i originally ordered it i asked over and over what the total monthly bill would be and she assured me $45 a month for 2 years. Direct TV wanted $65 a month for about the same equipment.
Has anyone else have this happen or was it some kind of mistake on the part of the sales women? Or was I flat out lied too?

Equipment i get is 1 dual tuner HD DVR one dual tunner SD (no DVR) and one single tunner HD(no DVR). Iam on top 100 silver package.

Now maybe the $66 a month is correct BUT thats not what i was told over and over again. Had i been told $66 i might have went with Direct TV as they has one channel i wanted that Dish doesnt provide at the level iam getting.

Yes. DirecTV sales told me when I got my DirecTivo HD (HR10-250), that I would be able to use it with all new DirecTV HD channels for 5+ years. By the following fall, it was obsolete as new channels were being added all the time that I could not receive. Sales people will tell you anything to make the sale.

Ted

I know at the Dishstore we do get the correct information all the time. Also we record all of our calls so we can reference the call if a question ever comes up on the price that was quoted,

I have tried emailing dishnet work to see if they recorded my sales call but they haven’t responded to me as of yet. I told them that would prove what I was saying. Next time I record my own call.

As far as being committed to a 2 year contract as far as iam concerned Dishnetwork voided that oral contract when they decided not to honor the agreed upon $45 a month. I will be filing a complaint with better business bureau which I relies wont do anything but with that plus the registered letter iam sending I will have some proof that there was a disagreement right from the start with Dish network. After the one year if they still wont honor the agreed upon $45 a month I might switch to something else if there is a better deal or if not stay with Dish Network. I like the setup. But just recently Verizon has been laying fiber optic line for Fios in my area. Maybe by next year I can get it. If it’s a lower price and Dish won’t honor my deal then iam gone.

Did you go through a DISH Network Retailer/Sales Partner, or through DISH Network Directly?

What you need to do is call up DISH Network and find this information out, and if you did go through a Retailer or sales partner you need to request their phone number and take this issue up with them directly.

Once you get the sales partner or retailers phone number, you can then ask them to research the issue and hopefully they will agree to some sort of resolution and possibly issue you a credit.

The key is getting ahold of them ASAP. The longer you let this ride out, the less likely you will come to a resolution since they have a certain time period where their commission for the sale can be taken away from Dish if you cancel. In addition, there is also a certain time period that the retailer/sales partner can go back on the person who sold the account and take back their commission.

As far as recordings, as far as I know if you order through DISH directly, they do not record their sales calls. Even if they did, I don't think you will ever be able to get them to produce a recording.

If you went through a retailer or sales partner, depending on the size of the retailer their might be a chance they have it recorded. There are not very many retailers or sales partners that I know of that record all of their calls.

The other issue is that the recording is for the protection of the retailer or sales partner...

I made the decision about 8 months ago to start recording all of our sales calls just because of the situation you bring up. We don't get very many complaints, but when we do it would just irritate the crap out of me when I got a customer saying they where promised something and didn't get it and I had no way of knowing the truth.

Its like a few weeks ago I had a customer trying to cancel and said that nobody told him about the 24 month committment, eventhough he signed it when the technician did the install. However he was trying to say that because nobody told him verbally there was a contract he should have the cancellation fee waived. I Played the recording back to him, and that was the end of the conversation....

The problem here is that even if a recording exists somewhere, your not going to be able to listen to it unless they are right and you where quoted out correctly. If they where wrong, they will probably work with you and fix their mistake, but will not let you listen to it or give you a copy.

Did you go through a DISH Network Retailer/Sales Partner, or through DISH Network Directly?

What you need to do is call up DISH Network and find this information out, and if you did go through a Retailer or sales partner you need to request their phone number and take this issue up with them directly.

Once you get the sales partner or retailers phone number, you can then ask them to research the issue and hopefully they will agree to some sort of resolution and possibly issue you a credit.

The key is getting ahold of them ASAP. The longer you let this ride out, the less likely you will come to a resolution since they have a certain time period where their commission for the sale can be taken away from Dish if you cancel. In addition, there is also a certain time period that the retailer/sales partner can go back on the person who sold the account and take back their commission.

As far as recordings, as far as I know if you order through DISH directly, they do not record their sales calls. Even if they did, I don't think you will ever be able to get them to produce a recording.

If you went through a retailer or sales partner, depending on the size of the retailer their might be a chance they have it recorded. There are not very many retailers or sales partners that I know of that record all of their calls.

The other issue is that the recording is for the protection of the retailer or sales partner...

I made the decision about 8 months ago to start recording all of our sales calls just because of the situation you bring up. We don't get very many complaints, but when we do it would just irritate the crap out of me when I got a customer saying they where promised something and didn't get it and I had no way of knowing the truth.

Its like a few weeks ago I had a customer trying to cancel and said that nobody told him about the 24 month committment, eventhough he signed it when the technician did the install. However he was trying to say that because nobody told him verbally there was a contract he should have the cancellation fee waived. I Played the recording back to him, and that was the end of the conversation....

The problem here is that even if a recording exists somewhere, your not going to be able to listen to it unless they are right and you where quoted out correctly. If they where wrong, they will probably work with you and fix their mistake, but will not let you listen to it or give you a copy.

Well put Claude. Most of my retailers record their calls just for the reasons explained above. I am amazed at how many times I hear a customer say "i wasn't told" only to hear the recording of the call where they were told multiple times.

Now on the flip side I have heard a few calls where important info was left out. This is where I make the retailer change his pitch.

He tells me the bill and iam shocked!!! He says its $66 a month not the $45 a month i was quoted.

My first bill was high due to the current month being pro-rated and the next month being paid in advance. If I were you I would log into the website and look at your bill (account) before making conclusions from what a CSR is saying.

lied to by sales people? Used car salesman lie constantly about the condition of the vehicles. Whatever it takes to complete the sale.

I agree it's wrong, but reality

lied to by sales people? Used car salesman lie constantly about the condition of the vehicles. Whatever it takes to complete the sale.

I agree it's wrong, but reality

:haha There's an old saying about sales people......................

If their lips are movin' then they're lian'.

That's what my old Op's Manager use to say.

I would then reply....................

Buyers are liars. :D

My first bill was high due to the current month being pro-rated and the next month being paid in advance. If I were you I would log into the website and look at your bill (account) before making conclusions from what a CSR is saying.
:up Same here. It all evened out in the end though.

Equipment i get is 1 dual tuner HD DVR one dual tunner SD (no DVR) and one single tunner HD(no DVR). Iam on top 100 silver package.
There is no package I could find called "Top 100 Silver", so I'd be interested to know exactly what your monthly bill's line items are:

Top 200 Silver $23/month for first 6 months (then $48/month)
HD Fee +$10??
DVR +$6
2nd & 3rd receiver fee: +$5 +$7
Phone line not connected ? +$5/month
Taxes +$4?
DHPP +$5 waived for 10 months?

Total = ~$60 per month.

I'm just guessing on all that, so let us know. That stinks that you'd be told one number and then charged another, but we could tell more if you listed out your costs. Maybe they were quoting you on the programming package + HD + 2nd & 3rd recievers, and didn't factor in taxes, DHPP, phone line, and dvr costs.

:up Same here. It all evened out in the end though.

There is no package I could find called "Top 100 Silver", so I'd be interested to know exactly what your monthly bill's line items are:

Top 200 Silver $23/month for first 6 months (then $48/month)
HD Fee +$10??
DVR +$6
2nd & 3rd receiver fee: +$5 +$7
Phone line not connected ? +$5/month
Taxes +$4?
DHPP +$5 waived for 10 months?

Total = ~$60 per month.

I'm just guessing on all that, so let us know. That stinks that you'd be told one number and then charged another, but we could tell more if you listed out your costs. Maybe they were quoting you on the programming package + HD + 2nd & 3rd recievers, and didn't factor in taxes, DHPP, phone line, and dvr costs.

this is research the OP should have done HIMSELF prior to committing.

Let the buyer beware.

personally I know more about my potential purchases before ever talking to any sales person. that way I have the power of knowledge.

cant say that I feel for him....

Wait a second guys. I should have researched it myself. I would think calling a getting a quote is all i need to do. I did do research on the exact equipment so i new it would work with the Tv's i have.
Your right its the top 200 not 100. As far as equipment I got a Vip211k HD reciever , a 322 dual SD tuner and a Vip 612 DVR dual tuner. I was told over and over that would be $45 a month for 2 years. Free installation.

Now some of you think i should have priced it out on there web site? That seems like alot of work BUT it appears i should have. Like i said they did credit me for 1 year for $45 a month. My only concern is that iam commited for 2 years. I say iam not once they changed the agreed upon monthly fee.
I just filed a complaint at the Better Business Bureau, dont think that will do much but might as well. At least it will show i dissagree with what they say i agreed the monthly bill would be.

I did sign a contract when the installer came to my house BUT it only says i agree for 2 year service at the agreed upon monthly charge BUT it doesnt say what that monthly charge is. Had it i would have saw they higher bill and wouldnt have signed it. Plus my signature confirmed the installer did install the correct equipment, which he did.

Forgot to mention I called the phone number on Dishnetworks web site to order the service. I had no idea the sales staff were so untrust worthy. Iam a long time Cable user. When i call Time Warners 800 number i get Time Warner not some fly by night sales people from who knows were.

Last edited:
I have NEVER seen dish guarantee a price for 2 years... Heck, they go up on price usually once a year. When you are in a contract, what you pay is fluid, NOT set in stone...

Now, I think if they are going to lock you into a contract, they should guarantee that price during the contract, but thus they do not...

I have NEVER seen dish guarantee a price for 2 years... Heck, they go up on price usually once a year. When you are in a contract, what you pay is fluid, NOT set in stone...

Now, I think if they are going to lock you into a contract, they should guarantee that price during the contract, but thus they do not...

Well thats what i was told. Plus even after this dispute i was told that i agreed to a 2 year contract at $65 a month so it sure sounds like they are guarnteeing the price for 2 years. Iam saying they said $45 though as thats what i was told. They say $65 so either way Dish still says the price is for 2 years. I was even given an option for an extra $50 upfront i didnt have to lock myself into any long term contract but she said then the price could go up at any time. So it sure sounds like a price gureentee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)