Anyone else notice digital "noise" at top edge of screen?

glowrdr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I never noticed it when I first got my TV (bought in December) and didn't notice it at first when I got the 922. I'm pretty sure something happened in the last 2-3 months that may have caused some of my stations to display some digital noise at the top of my screen?

I believe it only happens for local channels, but don't hold me to that. Not using an OTA, just tuning to the channel like normal for satellite.

When I say digital noise, I don't notice it moving or anything. It's more like a 1-2 pixel line spanning the top of my TV, that is a black bar with a few white sections in it. Some sections are a couple inches, others are 1/16th of an inch (55" set)

Any ideas? It's a Panny 55VT20. I tried adjusting the sat picture position in the menu, and that adjusted the picture, but I still see the top line no matter where the picture is positioned. There is a setting on my TV to display 95% of the picture "to eliminate edge noise" and that does make it go away, but it actually cuts off things like sports scores and tickers at the top/bottom as well.

Even though I have a "fix" by turning on the edge noise reduction on the TV - I'm not convinced it's always been there. Anyone else experiencing this, or is it just me? (I did search but the last post was a few years ago)

Asked wife about it, and she said it only happens during the news. Well, it was the news that was on, but it stayed on during SOME of the commercials. Here is a picture just in case nobody knows what the heck I'm talking about.

255195_2047248911810_1562040605_32224941_6676726_n.jpg

I've seen those lines on one of my local stations only during some commercials. The worst offender is a TVA "Energy Right" commercial. It could be the fault of equipment at the local station. I'm watching on a 52 inch Sony LCD.

It is because you have zero overscan on your TV (sometimes called dot by dot mode). The local channels are sending additional information along with the picture that shows up as those lines of noise. Most stations have fixed this so that it doesn't show up on todays displays, but as you have found, not all stations have done this. You can contact the station (doubt that will help) or adjust the picture on the display to not be dot by dot (or whatever they call it on your TV) but the bad part is that you will likely get some overscan on all channels. Probably not a big deal, but still annoying when it is only an issue on 1 channel.

Play around with your TV's aspect ratio settings- it will go away...BUT....then your dish channel menus will be partially off the screen. Like someone else said- only with certain channels and certain types of images.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)