Anyone else notice richer color with the Hopper 3 like overnight?

scgt1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Arlington, TX
So when we watched the Olympics in 4k It always drove me nuts how the guide etc looked on the 4k channel yet Dish still had to old plain jain no color pop guide when not viewing a 4k channel. Which really made no sense to me when it's a 4K hopper. Well it seems they finally updated the normal guide to the 4K guide as colors are popping like mad and the font is much more rich.

I'm also seeing much more popping on programming also. Surely networks haven't flipped the switch and are televising in 4K if you have the equipment for it so what did Dish do?

For instance the Texas/OU game right now is just much more vibrant and so are any of the graphics they put up on the screen like with the guide when viewing a 4k channel.

So when we watched the Olympics in 4k It always drove me nuts how the guide etc looked on the 4k channel yet Dish still had to old plain jain no color pop guide when not viewing a 4k channel. Which really made no sense to me when it's a 4K hopper. Well it seems they finally updated the normal guide to the 4K guide as colors are popping like mad and the font is much more rich.

I'm also seeing much more popping on programming also. Surely networks haven't flipped the switch and are televising in 4K if you have the equipment for it so what did Dish do?

For instance the Texas/OU game right now is just much more vibrant and so are any of the graphics they put up on the screen like with the guide when viewing a 4k channel.

What's your software version on the Diagnostics page?

What's your software version on the Diagnostics page?
U522 8/29/18

I did notice it was 30% into a guide download the other day when I turned it on. So maybe they at least updated the guide to run on 4K or what ever is done when you use any of the menu when on a 4K channel. Because there was a substantial difference between menu, dvr, guide, etc screens while viewing a 4k channel then non 4k like 4-what ever other channels. LOL

I highly doubt my 2015 model Samsung downloaded any software updates. Once Samsung releases a new tv they pretty much forget about the previous unless they have to fix something. So I doubt it's that. Guess I'll see if my XB1 X looks any different tonight to know if the tv did update.

I've noticed the picture quality has improved on some channels over the last several weeks. Although Disney Channel seem to be the experiment because it's sure had picture quality kicking everybody else's butt for a few months now, and Charlie and Bob Iger are on very friendly terms.

Most likely, Improvement in picture quality is probably due to some new encoders dish may have installed. I can't say I've noticed any difference in the EPG, but they could have changed something as far as how the EPG appears on screen like making colors a bit more saturated clearing up the fonts etcetera but that is not related to the picture quality from the channel itself. I would like to see dish try to choose better colors that will show up with the classic colors that I do use on two of my Joey's even though I prefer the modern or black background EPG.

The Guide does look sharper with richer colors but it is still 1080i.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys