Anyone else's 211 acting funny?

css_139

Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Over this past week my 211 has been acting kind of strange. In the mornings it seems fine, but in the evenings, it takes it a while to find the next channel. The numbers come up and the guide info shows up...but it takes it a few seconds longer than usual for the picture to show up.

Just throwing this out there...

I am not sure if this is related, but my 211 is very sluggish when responding to remote commands; sometimes it takes two presses of the button on the remote before it will do anything. This is on a replacement 211; the original 211 would only respond to the remote if the remote was within 2-3 inches. Also, the replacement 211 will often not respond to any remote button-pushes for several minutes after first powering up. I've tried another IR remote and it seems to do the same thing. Don't know if I will have to send it back for another replacement :eek:

Don are you sure there isn't anything interfering with the remote IR path. I had an AV receiver about 2 years ago that had worked perfectly for a long time and suddenly quit responding to the remote. What I finally figured out had happend was that my wife had moved it a bit when she was cleaning and somehoe the glass shelf that it was sitting on was getting a strange reflection up into the IR port and it was basically cancelling out the remote signal. So only a certain angle would make it work. Bascially, what I'm saying is can you try to move the box around a bit to see if that helps?

I have 2 211s and since the last update they take about 12 seconds to load a few channels, especially sat 129 TP 6 and 30. It normally takes just a couple of seconds to load a channel.

I have 2 211s and since the last update they take about 12 seconds to load a few channels, especially sat 129 TP 6 and 30. It normally takes just a couple of seconds to load a channel.

You're right. Everytime i try to watch something on 129 (HD), it takes longer to change the channel. If I go to something on 119 or 110, it's normal. This doesn't happen on the 622.

Ever since we received the latest firmware update I can't get good reception on 1 of my OTA locals anymore. It breaks up every few seconds. It is only on the local PBS station, not the other stations and it worked fine until we received that last update.

Don are you sure there isn't anything interfering with the remote IR path. I had an AV receiver about 2 years ago that had worked perfectly for a long time and suddenly quit responding to the remote. What I finally figured out had happend was that my wife had moved it a bit when she was cleaning and somehoe the glass shelf that it was sitting on was getting a strange reflection up into the IR port and it was basically cancelling out the remote signal. So only a certain angle would make it work. Bascially, what I'm saying is can you try to move the box around a bit to see if that helps?

The 211 is out in the open (not in a cabinet or glass enclosure). The strange thing is that when it is first powered up, it may take several minutes before it will respond to any remote commands. Then it will respond just fine to remote commands. At times, though, even when it starts responding, the response does get sluggish as stated in my previous post. The frustrating thing is that there does not appear to be any consistency to how or when it will act up.

Don -
I think you should send that one back to Dish. I don't think I would be putting up with that crap.

Ours completely powered down on it's own earlier this week. My wife and sister-in-law were watching something and all of a sudden the 211 powered down. Not sure why. About 2-3 min later I was able to finally get it to power back on.

Well, made some progress in getting to the bottom of this. It appears that the LCD TV (a Samsung LN-S4696) is the culprit. I connected a small 7" portable video monitor to the composite video outputs on the 211, powered on the 211 - remote works fine right from the get-go; no delays, nothing. Everything works as it should. I then turn on the TV (connected to the 211 via HDMI and component) and bam! remote does not work on the 211. I turn off the LCD TV and things once again go back to normal. So, obviously something happens when the TV is turned on that makes the 211 not respond to remote commands. Some one suggested that IR radiation given off when the TV is powered on may be overpowering the IR signal from the 211 remote. The question now is how to get around this? Any ideas? What's perplexing is that after several minutes, the 211 does start responding to the remote although it is sluggish at times.

I hit the power button on the receiver and it turns on and then turns back off. I do it again and it will stay on. So I have to end up hitting the button twice just to get it to stay on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)