Anyone Gotten Time Warner to Provide JUST HD Channels?

bradesp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
I'm a dish customer and generally happy with SD channels. I've seen my lcoal Raleigh Time Warner digital channels and find the SD channels are much lower quality than Dish, however the HD channels are very nice indeed.

Has anyone convinced a local Time Warner Cable outfit to provide Digital HD service only without all the extra channels? I want to keep Satellite for SD and use Time Warner for HD, but the cost is prohibitive if I have to buy both in their entirety.

THanks!

bradesp

One time last summer, I called my local TW about this. I had Dish at the time, with the 522 DVR and an HDTV, but no HD service. I didn't want to give up Dish and the DVR, so I contemplated getting TW's basic, basic service ($10/month) + an HD set-top ($8/month) + their HD tier ($10/month). The basic service would get me about 25 channels and the HD set-top would get me the add'l "DT" channels (for free) since they're unencrypted. That would also include Discovery HD Theatre and TNT-HD too. At first, the lady couldn't figure it out but asked a supervisor for help. They finally figured out something that allowed it (I'm guessing the trouble was related to their "order" system). I ended up not getting it because of the DVR, or lack of. We'd not be able to record the HD shows we'd be getting. We almost NEVER watch live tv anymore, but will watch shows after they're over or a day later.

Come fall of that same year, TW announced the availability of HD-DVRs. I called, mentioned I was with satellite and they told me about their 12-month, 50% offer for satellite customers and I took it.

Anyway, back to your original question, others in the local "HDTV" thread at AVS Forums have tried to get the same deal I was given more recently and no one was able to. I'm guessing TW changed their system to disallow it now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts