Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I'm thinking about buying one and wanted to get some re-world owner's feedback if possible.

Gem Car website

The one I found local looks like the one with a flatbed on the back.

Attachments

• byo_large_e2.jpg
    byo_large_e2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 215
  • byo_large_e4.jpg
    byo_large_e4.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 184
  • byo_large_el.jpg
    byo_large_el.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 229
Be sure to call your local DMV & insurance company and make sure they have no special requirements or restrictions on these.

Last edited:
I checked and the restrictions won't be a problem for me:

ADOT said:
"Neighborhood electric vehicle" means a self-propelled electrically powered motor vehicle to which all of the following apply:

(a) The vehicle is emission free.

(b) The vehicle is designed to carry four or fewer persons.

(c) The vehicle is designed to be and is operated at speeds of twenty-five miles per hour or less.

(d) The vehicle has at least four wheels in contact with the ground.

(e) The vehicle has an unladen weight of less than one thousand eight hundred pounds.

-----

28-966. Neighborhood electric vehicles; speed; restrictions

A. A neighborhood electric vehicle shall not be operated at a speed of more than twenty-five miles per hour.

B. A neighborhood electric vehicle shall not be driven on a highway that has a posted speed limit of more than thirty-five miles per hour. This subsection does not prohibit a neighborhood electric vehicle from crossing a highway that has a posted speed limit of more than thirty-five miles per hour at an intersection.

C. A neighborhood electric vehicle shall have a notice of the operational restrictions applying to the vehicle permanently attached to or painted on the vehicle in a location that is in clear view of the driver.

It is a NEV and the restrictions are no big deal for me - I'm looking at 30MPH streets for my commute :cool:.

Yep, I wasn't sure after the metro "go-ped" issues how these might be effected. Considering that the Valley is now the golf capital of North America, you would think they have some knowledge on these.

The north side of my neighborhood is across Deer Valley road from the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute. I used to own a house that I could stand in the driveway and look into the parking lot of MMI. I later moved to the South end of the neighborhood.

Many of the students would ride pocket bikes and gopeds to and from school. It seemed like almost daily the police were nailing these guys.

I was concidering a moped but I'm a big guy and would feel kind of rediculous on one ;). My fiance thinks I'm nuts but I think one of these GEM cars will drasticly cut down the fuel I'm tearing through on my commute. I could even get to many of the local stores if I get creative navigating through the neigborhood streets.

charper1 said:
So what's the deal; as long as you stay off city streets where the posted limit is over 35MPH your OK?
That's it... As I read it you can cross the faster streets but it sounds like they just don't want you impeding traffic.

I talked to the seller today and he drives it all over Scottsdale and says he doesn't get hasseled. I don't think I'd be that ambitious :). Other good news was the $25/yr registration :D .

This is a pic of the one I'm look'n at:

Attachments

• IMAGE_00103.jpg
    IMAGE_00103.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 242
I hope to God they dont let you on the street with that POS. It cannot go fast enough to get out of the way. It will be an obstacle to other drivers, slow down traffic and Looks like it would be absolutely destroyed by any kind of impact. Looks like a golf cart. Do you know whats going to happen to you when you are T- boned at 30-35 MPH? Your head is going to go rolling accross the street.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
I hope to God they dont let you on the street with that POS. It cannot go fast enough to get out of the way. It will be an obstacle to other drivers, slow down traffic and Looks like it would be absolutely destroyed by any kind of impact. Looks like a golf cart. Do you know whats going to happen to you when you are T- boned at 30-35 MPH? Your head is going to go rolling accross the street.
You definately don't want to be 'in traffic' with it. It is electronicaly limited to 25MPH as it is a 'Neighborhood Electric Vehicle'. In my case that is plenty fast for my commute which is all residential streets.

As for safety, I agree with you there. It does have a structure to it (unlike a typical golf cart) but no airbags etc. In reality it is a golf cart, just taken to the next level.

Shawn

Last edited:
That thing is a death wish. I got into a nice rear end wreck a year ago and my car was totaled by some idiot in an suv. You get hit with a bike in that thing and you're probably dead. Never understood the whole "I'm saving money on gas with a compact"

kenny911 said:
That thing is a death wish. I got into a nice rear end wreck a year ago and my car was totaled by some idiot in an suv. You get hit with a bike in that thing and you're probably dead. Never understood the whole "I'm saving money on gas with a compact"
I figure it's safer than being on a bike or a scooter.

I did buy it and have been driving to work all week with it.

It cost me $20 for two year plates / registration (For comparison, my '06 Montego is $500ish/yr here in AZ). Auto insurance is $10/mo for full coverage. While the electricity to charge it isn't free, it is rather insignificant. Cost calculators say something like $10/yr at $.10/KWH.

Yes, If I'm run over by a SUV I will get hurt. In my situation the traffic is VERY light and the fastest street I travel on is posted 30MPH for about a 1/4 mile section I need to travel on. The rest is residential / 25MPH which I can maintain. The risk is acceptable to me.

Upon investigating this thing, many of the owners say that it isn't so much about the cost savings as it is reducing their dependance on gasoline. In my case it's a bit of both. I don't think it would work out as as much of a net gain if I had bought a brand new one. The only benefit of buying new is the tax credits.

I have no regrets having picked it up.

Shawn

That's cool! I wish I could drive something like that to work. I'm hoping in July to be 100% working from home by then though.

And to the people stating its a death wish... you can die in any vehicle. When it happens it happens, I wouldn't live in fear of death to not go this route.

Two big thumbs up!

Besides - I'm SURE you could modify it a little bit and go well over 25mph :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts