Anyone have a gut feel about some big releases before christmas?

williamkmurphy

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
Bills Country
Anyone think that we will see any of the Lord of the Rings movies or Harry Potters before christmas on HD DVD? I know they are long so are they waiting for 3 layer discs or something?

I hope so. One thing, is that all new releases on HD DVD need to be day and date with DVD releases.

And Archive releases need to be good movies. King Kong was a horrible, terrible, stupid hollywood piece of crap. I can't believe people want it in HD.

PS. I didn't care for King Kong.

williamkmurphy said:
Anyone think that we will see any of the Lord of the Rings movies or Harry Potters before christmas on HD DVD? I know they are long so are they waiting for 3 layer discs or something?

Why would they wait for a 3-layer HD-DVD disc? At 12Mb/s roughly 12 hours (the 3 special edition ranging between 210-260 minutes w/ audio) of VC1 video would be more than that - in fact more than a dual-layer BD-ROM would take - but if we take double-sided discs into account then a double-sided double-layer disc would do it.

The welcome to HDDVD piece at the beginning of most of the HDDVD movies continue to show clips from the Harry Potter movies as well as the Matrix Trilogy. Hopefully the will announce, though I am surprised nither has been announced yet, even if its late November/December. At least V for Vendetta is coming.

BluRay will outsell HD-DVD between November and the end of the year. They will release twice as many movies in that time period. On top of that not only will the PS3 be out but more than half (6) manufacturer's will have their BluRay players on the market.

This is a very good thing for both camps, all this competition will start the downward slope of prices so that we can get to resonably priced drives and movies for the HD masses that do everything! Oh, and all the aforemeantioned titles will be out on BluRay at the same time.:D

Last edited: