anyone have experience w/ long video cable runs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

asmcbride

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
WV/VA
I'm planning to do a long run up the wall and through the attic sometime soon and was hoping someone else has done this to give me some feedback. I plan to run a 5-cable RCA component (3 video + 2 audio) from my main receiver to a secondary TV for HD viewing on multiple sets. I need to go approximately 75 feet. From looking online, most of these component cables are sold in either 75ft. or 100ft lenghts. Does anyone have any experience with component runs this long? I'm afraid that a 75ft cable is going to be slightly too short, so I'm wondering if it would be better to get 5 female-to-female barrels and add on a 3ft cable or if I should just get the 100ft cable, which would eliminate the extra set of connections, but also add 20ft of addtional unneeded cable to the already long run. Or is there an easy way to get a custom length or just put my own ends on if I get the 100 ft and cut it down? Anyone with experience think the PQ will be ok with this long of a run? Thanks in advance.

--mcbride

You could terminate your own ends with RCA connectors. If you do that, I would recommend going with RG6 or even RG6 Quad for less loss. However, you will need to buy the compression tool which can be expensive. Those composite cables that are sold are usually RG59 so the loss is bigger.

You can find the RCA connectors on eBay and different places. I know of this site:

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=67

i've done a couple of 100' component runs before for projector setups in commercial installations, and a couple furniture stores.
We used regular RG6 runs and because I don't have the tool to terminate with RCA connectors, we used regular compression connectors, and coax connector to RCA adapter. It worked well, and we have never had a problem with them.

i've done a couple of 100' component runs before for projector setups in commercial installations, and a couple furniture stores.
We used regular RG6 runs and because I don't have the tool to terminate with RCA connectors, we used regular compression connectors, and coax connector to RCA adapter. It worked well, and we have never had a problem with them.
Bingo..Great post..That's what I did on the few occasions I had to make up composite or component cables...If I had to do it on a regular basis ,I owuld break down and buy the RCA crimp tool...

BTW, I ownder what reeceiver the thread originator is refering to when he says he's going ot run Component and composite to a remote locationor secondary tv....To my knowledge unles there's a secret compartment there's only one set of component outputs on the 211 and 622....Oh well.

I realize there is only 1 set of component outputs on the 622. I plan to use HDMI at TV where the receiver is, giving me HD there. Then I plan to run 100' of RG6 from the TV2 agile stereo output to my HDTV in the bedroom for independent viewing, but I also plan to run a 100' component at the same time, which will give me the ability to watch HD on this set if I ever want (I realize it will be the same channel as the main TV, but both TVs are rarely on at the same time). This way I'll always have HD at the main set and I'll have the ability to switch between HD or SD with different channels in the bedroom.

I think I'm just going to order a 100' set of RG6 component cables from monoprice...

I realize there is only 1 set of component outputs on the 622. I plan to use HDMI at TV where the receiver is, giving me HD there. Then I plan to run 100' of RG6 from the TV2 agile stereo output to my HDTV in the bedroom for independent viewing, but I also plan to run a 100' component at the same time, which will give me the ability to watch HD on this set if I ever want (I realize it will be the same channel as the main TV, but both TVs are rarely on at the same time). This way I'll always have HD at the main set and I'll have the ability to switch between HD or SD with different channels in the bedroom.

I think I'm just going to order a 100' set of RG6 component cables from monoprice...
Monoprice?

I used Rapid Run from Impact Acoustics. Rapid Run is a single wire solution that will go through conduit. It has 5 thin wires inside and a plug on either end.It comes in different lengths 25 ft,50 ft,75 ft, 100 ft etc. Then you use the breakout
wires that have a plug on one end and the five wires on the other. It works great
and don't see any signal degradation. Im using it on my 622 for my 2nd tv in the kitchen. Both my tvs use componet im using a componet combiner I got from Radio Shack. Check out Impact Acoustics online.

Another option is to run plain Cat-5 cable and connect the ends via Balun converters. They make one that will carry component video and digital audio (coax, not optical). See here. Unfortunately, the baluns are $100 each, but the Cat-5 is cheap. :)

I've seen Cat-5 for $80 a box shipped on ebay. Anybody know where it can be had for less than that? RG-6 is the cheapest though. I am guessing since RG-6 coax has two wires you can only use one for video and the other for mono audio and not have stereo and have to run a second wire for the stereo. Could the ground wire that is attached to some coax cable suffice for the third wire?

I see you're not trying spend to much money. I have two 622's. One for the living room and one for the bedroom.

Is this what you are takling about?

I used Rapid Run from Impact Acoustics. Rapid Run is a single wire solution that will go through conduit. It has 5 thin wires inside and a plug on either end.It comes in different lengths 25 ft,50 ft,75 ft, 100 ft etc. Then you use the breakout
wires that have a plug on one end and the five wires on the other. It works great
and don't see any signal degradation. Im using it on my 622 for my 2nd tv in the kitchen. Both my tvs use componet im using a componet combiner I got from Radio Shack. Check out Impact Acoustics online.

Instead of component combiner is this the product you are talking about? The Radio Shack 4-Way A/V Component Video Distribution Amplifier. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2289035

ordered from monoprice...

The consensus seemed to be that a longer high quality cable would be better than a short run with female couplers or additional connection points. I decided to order the 100' 5-RCA RG6 component cable. It was around $90 and I got a 100' RG6 coax for around $10, so I can run the component w/ audio (HD) and the TV2 (SD) at the same time. The price from monoprice was good enough that I can always resell it on ebay without much of a loss if I'm not satisfied, although I think I'm going to be. Now I just wish I had a single remote that would operate both the TV1 features and the TV2 features via UHF. I would rather not have to use a separate remote for each tuner when in the bedroom. Since the original 622 TV2 remote is designed to operate TV2 I'm good there, but can I easily make this remote operate TV1 features as well?

At $6 a month, I'll save $ in the long run by not having an additional HD receiver in the bedroom for the little amount of HD viewing that I'll actually be doing there. Plus, it allows me to only need 2 total receivers: the 622 described here and an additional 622 or a 211 for the 2 TVs in the basement.

There is a way to operate TV1 and TV2 on your 622 but you would need to get a UHF upgrade kit for legacy receivers (you really only need the pyramid but it comes with a nonDVR remote) and a UHF PRO Remote version 6.2 if you want to operate TV1 and TV2 in other rooms.

The reason why you need the legacy UHF upgrade kit is due to the fact that AUX mode on a 6.2 remote will only operate legacy UHF frequencies or IR. AUX will NOT operate UHF PRO frequencies in which is what TV2 does.

You can setup TV1 to work off of your TV2 remote. You can setup the receiver to be setup in single user mode where all tv's connected see's the same thing instead of two different things at once but it seems like you are wanting to have two different people watch something at the same time.

You may also be able to setup IR transmitters to control the TV1 functions in AUX mode but I do not have experience with that. The pyramid from Dish Network works the best because it operates through walls the same way that the receivers with UHF functionality built in do.

I got mine from online from Skyvision. Pricey but I got the length I needed in one piece. It was 125 feet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)