Anyone have their dish mounted on a tree?

criznag

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2005
Kansas City, MO
So I live in an apartment complex on the first floor and face north if I stand outside my patio, with many trees in the way - but here's an interesting tidbit. I mentioned there's a multitude of trees but they are very firm and hard - someone gave me the idea today that the installer should mount the dish on the tree itself, since it could provide a unobstructed view south - has this been done before? What do you guys think? The tree is not that far at all from my patio.

Thanks,

i remember the charlie chat episode where he showed a customer's dish mounted to a tree. if done properly it will work. however, not recommended.

I agree, things like, wind, sap, tree living animals, grounding/lightning issues. not to mention normal tree growth that will eventually change the aiming. And I can't imagine getting a good plumb line off a tree (without some shims and a block of wood nailed to the tree), which is one of the most important thing past LOS.

BTW, welcome to the fold.

This tree's hundreds of years old I'm sure, it spams up HIGH, extremely, I will try and take a picture tomorrow during the day. It might be my only choice just how my patio is setup and how I am on the first floor, and all the trees surround me.

I have seen a house near my neighborhood that has a Dish 500 mounted on a tree in their front yard. It has been there for several years.

Just curious. Do you know if the person has to readjust it ever?

Also one has to wonder if it is the same kind of tree as the original posters. (different trees would have different properties).

Not trying to be argumentative, but if he never had to adjust it, then I will have to change my point of view on this subject. :)

In addition to the problems noted abpve if you dont own the tree it might be an issue.

I have no clue if he has had to adjust the dish.

The 1st time I saw it, I was thinking WTF.

They mounted it on a small (about 3 inch wide) young tree. I would have to believe that they have adjusted the dish due to tree growth.

Do you guys think I should get a tub with concrete that I could potentially set by it - do you know if installers have tripods or do I need to call and request one? How exactly does this tub + concrete idea work - I'd like to return if I can't even get a signal.

I've did some searching and it looks like all I need is a "pole"? What kind of pole, what size bucket, and how much concrete? Any ideas?

outsidetree.jpg

We're looking at the terrible position of my apartment and my only line of site..although my main question now has to do with the concrete, pole, etc - should I make a new thread for it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)