Spectrum News+ available on cable?

zeebre12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
new york
I see Spectrum have a new national streaming news channel called Spectrum News + available in the app? Is this also available on Spectrum cable without having to need an internet connection?

Charter announced that the product would be available via Spectrum News Mobile and the CTV app so it seems likely that it won't be available as a QAM channel.

I'm baffled by their claim of award-winning local news networks as I wasn't aware the Charter had any such facilities.

Charter announced that the product would be available via Spectrum News Mobile and the CTV app so it seems likely that it won't be available as a QAM channel.
It is here in Florida-

News 13 is an American cable news television channel owned by Charter Communications. The channel provides 24-hour rolling news coverage focused primarily on Central Florida, specifically Brevard, Flagler, Lake, Marion, Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Sumter, and Volusia counties.

Never watch it, still hard getting used to local news here after 50 years in the Metro Detroit area.

My guess is they will do local in the morning and evening, then switch it to the National Version during the other times.
I'm baffled by their claim of award-winning local news networks as I wasn't aware the Charter had any such facilities.
Spectrum News provides TV coverage in Central Florida (News 13), Tampa (Bay News 9), Hawaii (OC16), New York City (NY1 & NY1 Noticias), Kentucky, Massachusetts, New York State, North Carolina, Ohio, Southern California, Texas and Wisconsin (Spectrum News 1)

The bulk of the "Spectrum News" channels are long running local cable news operations Charter got as part of the Time Warner Cable/Brighthouse purchase, and many of them have won local news emmys over their history. NY1 has been around since 1992, their Florida news channels have been around since 1997, and their Hawaii OC16 channel dates back to 1976.

No, it's only available as a streaming channel via their website or the Spectrum News app on mobile devices and Roku and Apple TV.

Just install the app on my Roku, right now it is the same programming as the OTA station, national news.

The press release that the Wikipedia page sources doesn't say anything about future cable carriage. Spectrum is also one of the few providers who are good about including even the most miniscule upcoming changes in their public notices for the states that require it like New York and Connecticut, and there's been no mention of it being added as a traditional cable channel.

Last edited:
Streaming is television too.

The excitement will really begin when the cable company no longer offers a TV product -- just Internet access so you can use someone else's streaming service.
We have two new fiber options in my town, neither offers video services.

It was implied by your offering them up as examples of cable services that no longer offer a TV product.
No it wasn't implied, one way or the other. In fact, one did offer video before they ran fiber, the other is a new company in town.