anyone heard of this for isp? kinda expensive but promises for rural areas.

brejust

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
:) life
might be something to consider for streaming if your tired of current isp.
i think its to expensive, but if no other choice i would consider it. *mine isp is awesome*

just maybe as a back up for future?
link here. just curious is that good for rural mountain area?
Viasat Internet | Official home of Viasat satellite internet service
at least its something to consider dunno if dish has fast isp too. or what their slowest speed they offer, like dsl is slow, so whats dish minimum amount of bandwidth they provide.

Viasat Launches 100 Mbps ‘Platinum’ Tier with Unlimited Data

Viasat Launches 100 Mbps ‘Platinum’ Tier with Unlimited Data | Multichannel

Just weeks after deeming ViaSat-2, a new high-capacity satellite, ready for service, Viasat has introduced new unlimited, residential data speed tiers, including a top-end offering that delivers up to 100 Mbps downstream.

Viasat’s new high-end tier, called Unlimited Platinum 100 and optimized for HD video streaming, carries an introductory price of $150 per month (with in-home WiFi included), and rises to $200 per month after three months. Viasat said Platinum 100’s 100 Mbps downstream is paired with upstream speeds up to 3 Mbps.

Here’s how Viasat’s other unlimited satellite broadband tiers stack up (all come with built-in WiFi):

-Unlimited Bronze 12: Up to 12 Mbps, starting at $50 per month ($70 per month after three months)

-Unlimited Silver 25: Up to 25 Mbps, starting at $70 per month ($100 per month after three months)

-Unlimited Gold 50: Up to 50 Mbps, starting at $100 per month ($150 per month after three months)

From the same article….

“Per some of the fine print, once data usage exceeds certain levels on certain speed tiers (40 Gigabytes on the 12-Meg tier; 60 GB on the 25-Meg offering; 100 GB on the 50-Meg tier; and 150 GB on the 100-Meg tier), Viasat “may prioritize your data behind other customers during network congestion.” When such congestion isn’t present, service will continue “based on availability” for customers who exceed their monthly data plan.” [Emphasis mine.]

If my math is correct…
100Mbps = 45,000 MB/Hour = 45GB/Hour and 150GB/45GB/Hour = 3.33 hours so…

On the highest level plan, the 150GB soft cap kicks in after roughly 3.33 hours of streaming at 100Mbps! And it only costs $200/month. What a deal :eeek

Last edited:
From the same article….

If my math is correct…
100Mbps = 45,000 MB/Hour = 45GB/Hour and 150GB/45GB/Hour = 3.33 hours so…
Your math is off. Streaming 1080 only uses about 1-1.5GBs per hour so even on the lowest plan you could stream a high def movie for over a day straight before getting deprioritized.

Reactions: pattykay
Your math is off. Streaming 1080 only uses about 1-1.5GBs per hour so even on the lowest plan you could stream a high def movie for over a day straight before getting deprioritized.
Actually, my post didn't mention anything about streaming video specifically, just streaming at the max rate of ViaSat’s 100Mbps plan in general. So that could be any of many things folks frequently use their internet connection for: OS and app updates on multiple computers/phones/tablets, cloud restores, etc..

But since you brought up video streaming, the same article includes this info…
“As video streaming goes, Viasat notes that the 12 Mbps typically delivers 360p (small screen quality), compared to 25 Mbps (DVD quality, typically 480p), 50 Mbps (HD, typically 720p), and 100 Mbps (“Full” HD, typically 1080p).” [Emphasis mine] And ViaSat’s own website seems to be pushing their top 100Mbps plan for “Video Streaming at Full HD Quality Typically 1080p “.

So at the very least ViaSat is “over selling” their high end plan as appropriate/required for video streaming @ 1080p. And at the worst, they know something about their video streaming capability that they aren’t disclosing.

Actually, my post didn't mention anything about streaming video specifically, just streaming at the max rate of ViaSat’s 100Mbps plan in general. So that could be any of many things folks frequently use their internet connection for: OS and app updates on multiple computers/phones/tablets, cloud restores, etc..

But since you brought up video streaming, the same article includes this info…
“As video streaming goes, Viasat notes that the 12 Mbps typically delivers 360p (small screen quality), compared to 25 Mbps (DVD quality, typically 480p), 50 Mbps (HD, typically 720p), and 100 Mbps (“Full” HD, typically 1080p).” [Emphasis mine] And ViaSat’s own website seems to be pushing their top 100Mbps plan for “Video Streaming at Full HD Quality Typically 1080p “.

So at the very least ViaSat is “over selling” their high end plan as appropriate/required for video streaming @ 1080p. And at the worst, they know something about their video streaming capability that they aren’t disclosing.

They limit the resolution on the above plans to the resolutions you specified. Even if you have plenty of bandwidth and available data the resolutions are limited.

They limit the resolution on the above plans to the resolutions you specified. Even if you have plenty of bandwidth and available data the resolutions are limited.
Thanks. That explains a lot. The ViaSat video resolution issue isn’t bandwidth — it’s money :)

FWIW we regularly exceed 100GB/mo on our meager 2Mbs (but truly unlimited) WISP internet plan, even though we try to minimize/schedule heavy usage so we don’t compete with ourselves for the limited bandwidth. We regularly stream a couple of hours of 1080p video/day from Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. These streaming services do a pretty good job of reducing the quality to avoid buffering. But some evenings the quality drops pretty badly. Still the idea of paying $200/mo for 1080p, makes me glad we have our meager 2Mbps unlimited WISP plan.

Reactions: JSheridan
might be something to consider for streaming if your tired of current isp.
i think its to expensive, but if no other choice i would consider it. *mine isp is awesome*

just maybe as a back up for future?
link here. just curious is that good for rural mountain area?
Viasat Internet | Official home of Viasat satellite internet service
at least its something to consider dunno if dish has fast isp too. or what their slowest speed they offer, like dsl is slow, so whats dish minimum amount of bandwidth they provide.

Consider waiting for Viasat 3 slated for 2019 - ViaSat-3 Will Have More Capacity than the ROW Combined

Yep, it is something they are doing. When I had 8Mbps DSL a few years ago 1080p wasn't hard to do at all.

I can get Netflix 1080p with 3Mbps DSL. Dish VOD also works pretty good now that I have the H3. The H2K and HWS didn’t do so well so I’m assuming that’s due to old hardware. I’ve read on here some are having VOD issues now on 722’s.

And then, this (OOOPS!!) Should have read the entire thread first :)

28276667_1737610456278283_592511884391845_n.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts