anyone here collect cards?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
I opened a couple packs to shoot the breeze with my friend and his card shop owner buddy-long story short I got a 2004 leaf certified game worn jersey from walter payton card, its gold series and has 3 colors in the jersey cut, making it worth about 150! I got some other cards too, didnt know if their are card collectors on this forum.

Used to collect...big time. Got into them in the mid 80s and collected thru most of the 90s. After my Dad retired, we opened up a card shop as a family business in Johnson City, TN for 5 or 6 years. That was a lot of fun, until the card companies went nuts in the mid/late 90s and made 400 different sets every year, and mostly high-$$$ stuff.

I've still got my whole collection in one of my bedrooms.

I'm a huge collector of sports memorabilia. I have sigs from players like Ty Cobb, Joe Dimaggio, Mantle and hundreds more. I don't collect the cards as much, but I'm constantly getting autographs especially team signed balls. I do collect rookie cards and jkersey cards like you mentioned. It's a great hobby!!!

i use to collect cards but mostly i collected autographs. most of those were nascar and/or nba with a few baseball thrown in.

I used to as a kid. It was huge when I was 8-12 years old in the late 80's early 90's. Our School had a weekly card club where you could bring in all your "cool" cards and show them off, trade or buy new cards or sets. It was a big weekly meeting.

I stopped after it got to be "un-cool" in the mid 90's.

I still have tons of them stored in my attic. My mom always told me "one day those will be worth so much you can pay for your kids college". Well... the price on them are not near what they were when I was a kid. Unless you have some of the really old 19040's-1960's Topps baseball cards with Micky Mantle, Joe Dimaggio, or other high calaber players, you don't have much value.

My wife actually suggested I do something with them to display some of the more popular ones in my sports themed theater room. I was thinking of making a plaque with a plexi-glass cover to show off some of them. I figure on a 6"X12" plaque you could mount 10 cards or so.

I have the entire 1989 "Bad Boys" Detroit Pistons team set, and an Autographed Isiah Thomas 1991 Skybox card. Tons of Majic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Shaq Rookie cards, a Limited edition hologram Ken Griffey Jr. card.

Like alot of people now I used to at one time from 1980-1995 and I still have them. I have about 125,000 of them if you want to buy them cheap.

I hadn't heard that Paul. That is very interesting though.

Ramy, I read this in a Business Week yesterday while waiting for the hospital to check my father in. Never checked the date of the article, this could be old news. I do remember that the stockholders were trying to block the sale because they thought Disney was underpaying. Sorry if this dated news. Maybe someone else has updated info.

Didn't Topps buy out another company not long ago? I think UpperDeck? I collected cards from around 1991-1996 and it started getting expensive with the inserts and I started saving up money to buy my first car so I had to decide to whether I wanted to continue collecting or save the money for a car. Of course, I chose the car. I still got my cards. I collected the higher priced inserts and some rookies back then. Now they are probably not worth near what they were back then because back then they had the rare cards numbered to 10,000 then all the way down to 1,000 maybe less even then. Now they have so many cards numbered 1 out of 1 and 1 out of 50 that it made those other numbered cards drop in price because their rarity is not as extreme as the ones they have now.

The cards of the late 80's and early 90's were way overproduced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts