Anyone know HOW this new FCC ruling will affect DISH and subs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yep its definitely a bad ruling.If it isn't repealed it will lead to more channels being exclusive to whomever owns them.Say Comcast owns Comcast Sports Philly,and Time Warner owns Sports Pennsylvania.Customers would have to either forget about watching certain teams or have both providers.You would think that one of these days someone with common sense could make rulings in peoples favor not in companies favor.
Money talks, and it's the corporations and their lobbyists holding all the dough. Common sense becomes common cents.

GaryPen said:
You guys realize that Time Warner owns HBO, TNT, TBS, CNN, Cartoon Network, TCM, and the CW, right?

Comcast owns NBC and Universal.

Cablevision owns some crap too.

This ain't just about RSN's.

Time Warner spun off the cable unit in 2009, thus the networks and cable system are seperate. Comcast had to agree to have the NBCU channels available to competitors. So there shouldn't be any major networks or sports affected. Though I don't agree with the policy change, this would probably only affect channels such as NY1 or News 12, channels that are locally focused, but don't carry any sports.

Time Warner spun off the cable unit in 2009, thus the networks and cable system are seperate. Comcast had to agree to have the NBCU channels available to competitors. So there shouldn't be any major networks or sports affected. Though I don't agree with the policy change, this would probably only affect channels such as NY1 or News 12, channels that are locally focused, but don't carry any sports.

I agree that the importance of this is over-rated. For one, it's in the interest of every ad-supported network to have an audience. Why would comcast in particular cut off access to something like NBC sports for Dish network or Directv? That would cut off more than 25% of all us households. Why?

And as to regional networks, anywhere Dish or DIrectv or Att have significant audiences, the sports teams will pressure comcast for carriage on those services.

It will all work out.

My personal opinion about my RSNs is oh well. Out of all the sports, the NBA is the league I watch the least. I watch NCAA Basketball and WNBA more than the NBA. My CSN carries only the Celtics. Red Sox and Bruins own NESN jointly.

Now as for whether this is good. It isn't. This tactic which should have been further tightened to force reasonable access to all content. This is just another black mark on my personal record the useless FCC. Total waste of my tax dollars. Regulate radio to the point that Joe and Jane America can loose their cool over something and cry, instead of putting on their big boy and big girl pants and self regulating what they listen to. Mandate the restriction of access to Canadian counterparts of television options, while everything else in this country wrongfully goes overseas. In the end this puts a trust on CSN regions to force subscribers to buy services that they wouldn't want. I better see a lift on blackout restrictions for CI, EI, and LP. Because if these channels can be pulled to make Comcast look more lucrative, then there needs to be a counter balance for healthy competition in this "capitalist" economy. This isn't a political issue. It's a simple statement of how a government created agency is using its absolute rule unjustly. It's been done for a long time.

I just wish this agency would be redesigned to cover the electronics field and be forced to not cover actual communications. Other than regulation of consumer electronics, what good has come from this agency?

Well I don't think Comcast Sports Philly is available to anyone but Comcast.They seem quite content having it that way.

I think some posts above have it right. This in reality probably protects things like a local cable network news station, such as NECN or Bay News 9, etc... I at least hope that's what it means.... :)

Those are not on satellite as it is.

"The FCC let the sharing rule expire and added an exception for cable-owned regional sports networks that show professional and collegiate contests, said two officials who spoke on condition they not be identified because today’s decision hadn’t been made public. Under the exception, competitors could complain to the agency about a withheld regional sports network, and the FCC could order a cable company to grant access, the officials said."

Evidently I'm the only one who read sparc's post above with this quote.

The executive summary - the law expires Except for RSNs.

I think some posts above have it right. This in reality probably protects things like a local cable network news station, such as NECN or Bay News 9, etc... I at least hope that's what it means.... :)

Satellite has nevers hown much intterst in that programming. Verizon and AT&T would be a different story.

In the end I think this applies to all of thir programming but there is an excepption process for sports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)