Anyone know where to get a signal meter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JustinC83

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2007
I need to find a store that carries them because i just got a ton of snow, and my signal has been out all day and the storm is pretty much gone and the signal has not come back. But earlier there was snow covering the dish so i took a duster and kind of dusted it off, but couldnt get to the lnb, so im thinking maybe the lnb has something on it or the dish might be be a realignment, but i don't want to do the old move it and then have someone in the house yelling when i get it right. So i am interested in buying a meter, that way i can hook it up move it around and now right then and there. If anyone knows where i could get one, much thanks

See the little sponsor boxes at the top of the page, try clicking them :)

Seriously though, here is an example from sadoun:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/JVI/Acutrac22Pro-Dual-Input-Satellite-signal-meter.htm

That is the Acutrac 22 Pro, probably the most popular and one of the least expensive digital meters. If you wish to go less advanced they also have cheaper analog meters that go down to under $20.

I'm sure the other sponsors up there probably have similar options available.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/JVI/Acutrac22Pro-Dual-Input-Satellite-signal-meter.htm

That is the Acutrac 22 Pro, probably the most popular and one of the least expensive digital meters. If you wish to go less advanced they also have cheaper analog meters that go down to under $20.

Just curious Teronzhul,
Does this Signal meter actually tell you WHICH sat your pointed at, instead of just the signal strength ?

Do any or all of them tell you the sat you've located, I know alot don't

Jimbo

Just curious Teronzhul,
Does this Signal meter actually tell you WHICH sat your pointed at, instead of just the signal strength ?

Jimbo

With a little experience, you can GUESS which sat you're on (based upon the compass bearing) but the only meter that actually tells you which one you're on is the Birddog, costing around $400

The only reliable meters that can tell you which satellite you are on is the SatHawk and the Birdog meters. Both are over $400+ in price. But for a professional installer, this the tool that is a must have.

Yeah, what they said. Even the birdog isn't 100% accurate. I once had it identify something as 110, even though I'm quite sure that it wasn't. I don't know what it was... but it wasn't 110.

Just curious Teronzhul,

Jimbo

JIMBO, I USE A BIRDOG IT NAMES THE SATELLITE YOUR ON. THEY ARE ABOUT $499.00 AT PERFECT 10 1-800-205-8620. ASK FOR CHAD STAR HE IS MY DSR. HE IS A FUN GUY TO WORK WITH AND HE WILL GIVE YOU A GOOD DEAL. GOOD LUCK

OK,
Thanks form the replies guy's,

I only do a few a year, so the investment is large.
Heres probably a stupid question, but here it goes anyway,
Does anyone RENT them ?

Jimbo

JIMBO,

We don't rent them but we may consider. How much are you willing to pay for rental? How long you want to use it for?

For a 1 week rental including shipping back and forth with insurance, would you pay:
$100
$70
$50 or less?

JIMBO, I USE A BIRDOG IT NAMES THE SATELLITE YOUR ON. THEY ARE ABOUT $499.00 AT PERFECT 10 1-800-205-8620. ASK FOR CHAD STAR HE IS MY DSR. HE IS A FUN GUY TO WORK WITH AND HE WILL GIVE YOU A GOOD DEAL. GOOD LUCK

you need to switch to jim because your boy chad is ripping you a new one. i got both of my birdogs for 400 shipped.

For the love of god don't get that POS Accutrac - or pay an over inflated price there - shop around.

Accutracs go bad, Perfect 10 AND Saddoun will not warranty them and Saddoun doesn't force perfect 10 to honor the warranty and continues to sell them to anyone like you that will buy them.

What a waste of money that was - I would have lost less if I had purchased it from a crook on eBay instead of going through a "reputable" sponsor.

As noted, Perfect 10 is a rip and will not honor warranty on their meters.

Buyer beware.

JIMBO,

We don't rent them but we may consider. How much are you willing to pay for rental? How long you want to use it for?

For a 1 week rental including shipping back and forth with insurance, would you pay:
$100
$70
$50 or less?

With the frequency that I need to set one up, probably $50 would be reasonable for the week, I understand the risk on the suppiers end...
If 50-70 (including ship and insurance) is on the cheap side let me know, but that sounds reasonable on this side.

Thanks,
Jimbo

With the frequency that I need to set one up, probably $50 would be reasonable for the week, I understand the risk on the suppiers end...
If 50-70 (including ship and insurance) is on the cheap side let me know, but that sounds reasonable on this side.

Thanks,
Jimbo

where do you live cleveland? dude i live in pittsburgh and i have 2 birdogs and an accutrac 22. pay for my gas to get there and show me a good local lake to fish assuming you fish, and you can borrow the thing all day while im at the lake.

my price is 20$ or so for the gas one way and a fishin hole, beat that

oops just noticed NW not NE ohio, might be a little more then 20$ for gas hahahahahahahahahahah

where do you live cleveland? dude i live in pittsburgh and i have 2 birdogs and an accutrac 22. pay for my gas to get there and show me a good local lake to fish assuming you fish, and you can borrow the thing all day while im at the lake.

my price is 20$ or so for the gas one way and a fishin hole, beat that

oops just noticed NW not NE ohio, might be a little more then 20$ for gas hahahahahahahahahahah

Yup, other side of the state, just outside of Toledo

Jimbo

I share the same alignment concerns. However, it is unclear to me what advantage the Birdog has to offer. For example, you want to find the DISH 119 satellite. The Birdog tells you that you've found satellite x, y and z and 50 other satellites you don't give a hoot about. It doesn't tell you how to find the one you want.

In other words, a novice like Jimbo and me that use a Birdog that found satellite x need to be told to move the dish a little up and to the left or to change the skew. If you're in an RV with the point dish screen set to satellite 119, transponder 15 you'll know (or your helper can yell out) when you've found 119. So all Birdog does is tell you that you haven't found what you're looking for, it can't tell you how to look which is what I desperately need.

I share the same alignment concerns. However, it is unclear to me what advantage the Birdog has to offer. For example, you want to find the DISH 119 satellite. The Birdog tells you that you've found satellite x, y and z and 50 other satellites you don't give a hoot about. It doesn't tell you how to find the one you want.

In other words, a novice like Jimbo and me that use a Birdog that found satellite x need to be told to move the dish a little up and to the left or to change the skew. If you're in an RV with the point dish screen set to satellite 119, transponder 15 you'll know (or your helper can yell out) when you've found 119. So all Birdog does is tell you that you haven't found what you're looking for, it can't tell you how to look which is what I desperately need.

I have a $ 20 cheapo that can already tell me that, like you mentioned, I would like one that would tell you that you have found the 110 or the 99 ect.
Doesn't nessasarily need to tell me what direction I need to go, that I can figure out, if it tells me which one I have found.

From reading other post, I was tghinking that the Birdog DOES tell you which sat you've found.... maybe not

More input needed, thanks for the so far gathered info from all, keep it coming :)

Jimbo

I was just looking at a sponsor's site at signal meters.
They say Satellite Identifier's , does that mean they tell you when you've found a sat, or what sat you have actually found ?

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)