Anyone know where to get a signal meter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They only tell you've found a sat, not identify. The only meters that will correctly identify satellites are the Birdog and the Superbuddy. These have their limitations as well though.

The Birdog cannot identify the 110, nor can it accept signals from the ka sats. Of the sats directv offers, it can identify the 72.5, 95, 101, and 119.

I'm not entirely certain as I haven't used one but I believe the Superbuddy has similar limitations.

Now, both of them can be used to identify a lot of other satellites as well, but unless you're doing other types of satellite installations I would assume Directv's sats to be the only ones of interest here.

I was just looking at a sponsor's site at signal meters.
They say Satellite Identifier's , does that mean they tell you when you've found a sat, or what sat you have actually found ?

Jimbo

The way it works is as follows:

1. You select the satellite name from the meter menu
  2. The meter will show signal strength but no quality
  3. You aim the dish slowly to the proper Azimuth/Elevation/Skew angles
  4. As you get closer to a perfcet aligment, the signal level will increase.
  5. Once you hit the sweet spot, the meter will show FOUND and display the Quality level (BER).

The Sathawk 4000 meter works like that.

They only tell you've found a sat, not identify. The only meters that will correctly identify satellites are the Birdog and the Superbuddy. These have their limitations as well though.

The Birdog cannot identify the 110, nor can it accept signals from the ka sats. Of the sats directv offers, it can identify the 72.5, 95, 101, and 119.

I'm not entirely certain as I haven't used one but I believe the Superbuddy has similar limitations.

Now, both of them can be used to identify a lot of other satellites as well, but unless you're doing other types of satellite installations I would assume Directv's sats to be the only ones of interest here.

The superbuddy is heavy as hell.

Super Buddy Sat ID Meter

Yes, our Super Buddy is a Sat ID meter, meaning that it can LOCK on and ID the satellites. The Super Buddy locks on the WildBlue Ka signals and IDs the WildBlue satellites.

You can also use the Super Buddy for DirecTV Slimline & AT9KaKu installs. It won't get a LOCK on the Ka signals but you can still fine tune on the DirecTV Ka birds with the signal level. So the way to do Slimline/AT9KaKu installs with the Super Buddy is to get a lock on 101, 110, and 119 and peak them up and then do your last little fine tuning with the signal level on the 99 & 103 Ka signals on the Super Buddy meter. You can read the official application note here: http://www.appliedin.com/downloads/directvat9kaku.pdf

My vote goes for the Super Buddy. I have owned a Birdog, SatHawk 3k, and currently own a Supper Buddy. If I were to place in order of which was best, it would be:

1. Super Buddy
2. Birdog
3. SatHawk 3k

I need to find a store that carries them because i just got a ton of snow, and my signal has been out all day and the storm is pretty much gone and the signal has not come back. But earlier there was snow covering the dish so i took a duster and kind of dusted it off, but couldnt get to the lnb, so im thinking maybe the lnb has something on it or the dish might be be a realignment, but i don't want to do the old move it and then have someone in the house yelling when i get it right. So i am interested in buying a meter, that way i can hook it up move it around and now right then and there. If anyone knows where i could get one, much thanks

I recently went back to D* after "trying" Charter for a year. I still had the AT-9 dish and all my recievers. Set the dish up using the H20 HD reciever. I followed the instructions to the "T" and was succesful in getting all the Sat's. I know this is not the correct way to do it but I did this without the benefit of a signal meter. Total install (including running the RG6 cable) was about 2 hours. As I am a fly fisherman, I have lots of patience.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts