anyone know where to get Food network and DIY now?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

regulator55

Original poster
May 7, 2006
Had a small package mainly on c3 that had our favorite channels of DIY and Food Network. Now there gone. Anyone know where I can get these channels now? Do I have to go back to direct tv and pay there high prices?
Thanks for any information.

DirecTv, Cable unless we get access to the channels on SES-1 which me become an option down the road.

Had a small package mainly on c3 that had our favorite channels of DIY and Food Network. Now there gone. Anyone know where I can get these channels now? Do I have to go back to direct tv and pay there high prices?
Thanks for any information.
You may find that the Cooking Channel which will be on CH# 270 (W5) will be a good replacement for the Food Network. Otherwise only time will see if we can get both channels on the other satellite.

Mike from NPS is probably going to put the VHS video scaler with the vhs tapes he used for uplinking those channels on G3- on ebay..keep checking ebay....all the beta and vhs tapes should show up there LOL

I hated the DIY channel won't be offered. I had it when I had a subscription thru Skyvision. The HGTV channels are offered along with the GAC but not the DIY. Maybe soon will the DIY be offered again.

Yes Create and the PBS channels does offer great how to shows if you are a handyman, hobbyist, or someone who love to cook. I watch the PBS channels because of this. Sure wish we can get PBS from all US states! Every state that has PBS has unique shows to watch.
While watching This Old House Thursday night I saw a gadget that just came out that you can use to sharpen your chainsaw in a few seconds! I went online to research it, saw the online videos how this gadget work, and went to Lowes Friday and bought me one!!!
Now that is one reason I love the PBS channels, as well as DIY and HGTV.

Last edited by a moderator:
DirecTV has Food Network (HD) and DIY (currently not available in HD with DirecTV) for $29.99/month in The Family Package View attachment chnllineup.pdf . HD is $10 more a month unless you somehow can get the HD free option. Otherwise, DirecTV has Food Network in the Choice package which is currently $58.99/month [will be going up to $60.99/month in February from what I read], and DirecTV has DIY in the Choice Xtra package which is currently $63.99/month [will be going up to $65.99/month].

Currently, extra receivers are $5/month; however, in February, the first two receivers will be $6 and extra receivers past the first two will be $6/month.

Dish Network used to have a package called Dish Family (although not HD) with Food Network, DIY, and other channels for $24.99/month. Last I read, it was not being offered to new subs. However, you could always ask since they still have it on their channel lineup card. It never hurts to ask; they will just say yes or no. I am not sure if you could get a free install with this package; I suppose you could ask about that as well.

Dish Network has Food Network in Dish America (an "HD only" package) with locals [where available] ($29.99/month), Dish Latino Dos with locals [where available] ($39.99/month), or/and America's Top 120 with locals [where available] ($39.99/month). HD Free for Life is available with the Dish Latino Dos package and America's Top 120. I did a comparison recently of the three packages:View attachment DishNetworkComparison.xls

Dish Network has DIY HD in Dish Latino Max with HD currently for $52.99/month. America's Top 250 with HD currently for $64.99/month. There has been no word yet that I know of for what increases will occur (if any). Both packages are currently eligible for HD for Life.

Receiver fees vary for Dish Network. The first receiver currently does not have a charge. Therefore, an HD Duo receiver may be best for two TVs. Each additional Solo receiver is currently $7/month; each additional Duo receiver is currently $14/month. Duo DVRs are usually $17/month if memory serves correctly. There is also a $6 DVR fee unless you have a 211 (an HD Solo) which can be turned into a DVR (with the current one-time fee of about $40). The 922 has a $10 DVR fee if I remember correctly, and I am not sure if an additional one is $21/month. My guess is that not too many subs will have more than one 922.

It looks like you just want Food Network and DIY. You did not say if HD matters. Therefore, it looks like DirecTV's Family package would be your best choice for $29.99/month with additional channels. If you want HD, that may be an extra $10.00/month. I am also not sure if you want additional receivers. Currently, the first receiver is in the base package price. However, I am not sure with the new wording (the first two receivers being $6/month in February) if one receiver will be $6.

If you are looking at other programming included in packages, then you may want to consider looking at what other channels will be in your package if you decide to choose a satellite provider:

Dish Network:
TV Channel Lineup - Satellite Channels on DISH Network
DirecTV (the PDF I included may be out of date...So, you may want to ask since I do not see Family advertised on the site....unless someone else can help find it on the site):
English Packages
[Please not any promotional prices.]

I hope that this helps you. You may also check your local cable company, but my guess is that they would probably be more expensive. Please let us know what you decide and how it goes. Best luck to you with whatever you decide. :)

Remember pizza providers will force you into a 2 year contract. If we learn to do without for a while and wait it may work out for the best with c band in the future. If anyone gets Dish Network there a fool since they were behind with NPS to make you loose what we had with the masters. Why reward the criminal.????

Remember pizza providers will force you into a 2 year contract. If we learn to do without for a while and wait it may work out for the best with c band in the future. If anyone gets Dish Network there a fool since they were behind with NPS to make you loose what we had with the masters. Why reward the criminal.????

Yes, the 2 year contract is true unless you pay upfront. It is also true that good things come to those who wait. :) Therefore, you may be right. I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings about posting with Dish Network. I am actually unfamiliar with FTA although I find it interesting from what I found here yesterday especially with the packages and pricing. I do not know everything about it, and it looks like a lot of upfront costs. However, the channel selection seems nice in some respect to what some may want such as Encore/Starz.

I think this is a nice list of channels: http://www.programming-center.net/channelsjan4th.htm
Is there a way to get locals with this package?
In addition, I am guessing that one would have to pay for equipment. Would one need to buy additional receivers for each TV? Is it easy to set up?
Are channels in HD?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
For now I guess I will not go with a new w5 package. I will miss the DIY network since I'm trying to build a house and my wife liked the food network. I can pick up several stations with a regular antenna including pbs which I do like. Will my 922 be ok for a extended period of time with no power? I lost a 920 once when I lost power to it.
Thanks for all the comments.

I would definitely recommend everyone subscribing to a W5/X4 package to help us keep C-Band alive. I subscribed through SRL till March so far. There are channels I will miss too, but I can live without them for now, although I really would like to see Fox News come back, or at least Fox Business. There is a reason why they get more viewers than all the other news networks combined: They tell the whole truth, allow discussion, and don't make a habit of hiding relevant news from the public. If it came to X4, it would greatly improve our chances of long-term survival by keeping more subscribers. Does anyone know the chances of Fox Business being added back in? Someone a while back mentioned he had a receiver with old maps and still gets it, so obviously it must still be there. I think it was W5 582. I tried finding it using the generics, but no luck.

I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings about posting with Dish Network. I am actually unfamiliar with FTA although I find it interesting from what I found here yesterday especially with the packages and pricing.

Hi Mojo Jojo,

I don't think that anybody's feelings were hurt about the Dish Network posting. You did a great job of answering the original question. We may not like the fact that DirecTV/DishNetwork/Cable is the option to get some of the channels we want, but we won't blame you for that fact.

Thank You for all of the effort you put into that post listing packages and prices. I'm sure that you've saved some people some time investigating it for themselves.

Hi Mojo Jojo,

I don't think that anybody's feelings were hurt about the Dish Network posting. You did a great job of answering the original question. We may not like the fact that DirecTV/DishNetwork/Cable is the option to get some of the channels we want, but we won't blame you for that fact.

Thank You for all of the effort you put into that post listing packages and prices. I'm sure that you've saved some people some time investigating it for themselves.

I enjoy helping other explore all their options. No problem at all. I will note that Dish packages are set to increase $5/month, though. I am not a fan of increases, but sadly, it seems that many providers are doing so.

Also, you don't have to have a commitment with the Devil... ahem... I mean Dish Network if you buy & install your own equipment. But that's more costly up front (but not much if you go the "used" route). Still, if you wanna be able to quit any time you want, that's how you have to do it.

I had to go that route when NPS dropped Fox News about a week before election night. Plus, my wife's #1 "must have" is the Food Network. She's been watching that channel for about 3 years now & I have benefitted greatly! She was a great cook already, but now I get to try all sorts of new things. PBS cooking shows are... eh... ok, but there's really no good substitute for Paula Dean.

One big advantage to the Devil... ahem... Dish Network is that you can buy cheap used (or new) equipment, and have no contract. That buys you time to see what X4 does. That way, you don't have to pay any penalties or send back any equipment when you cancel the service.

Cheers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)