Anyone notice the major increase in commercials being shot in HD ?

sprintcarcrazy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 18, 2003
NBC and CBS have greatly increased the number of commercials filmed in HD. Bad thing is, some look really cool and I find myself watching them when normally I would skip right through.

I think you are onto something here. I have always said that anything in HD is worth watching for at least a little while. I am depressed since football is over so I found myself watching Canadian football the other night on the World sports HD channel, sad I know!

I saw a lot of HD commercials during the Daytona 500. Even one for Autozone (which I wasn't expecting). Sure Beer, Movies, Cars, and AT&T are in HD, but I wasn't expecting one for car parts.

You don't see it much anymore, but I always used to find it funny when Comcast would do an ad for HD in SD or one of the manufacturers would be advertising an HDTV in SD.

I have noticed it on Fox (during American Idol) more than anything else. I do find myself actually watching them sometimes rather than hitting my lovely 30 second skip button again....

The SA8300HD, isnt that the same box Comcast uses? If so, I know you can program a button to be a 30 second skip.. just do a web search for it. :)

If it isnt, ummmm Never mind :)

If you are capturing HD on your PC and then editing with a program like VideoRedo, the commercial detection process looks for the black bars of the SD commercials to automatically find them and cut them. Now, it will have to be done manually as more commercials are shot in HD. This was one of the last electronic signatures left to detect commercials.

You don't see it much anymore, but I always used to find it funny when Comcast would do an ad for HD in SD or one of the manufacturers would be advertising an HDTV in SD.

Not nearly as funny as 2 comparable HD Televisions sitting in Best Buy / Circuit City with one getting and SD signal and the other an HD signal and the guy telling you the one that is more expensive (and getting the HD signal) is clearly the better TV. :)

Yes I have noticed a lot since Super Bowl in hd. THis is great. I hate black bars on any of the programming including commercials. Of course with dvrs I don't watch the commercials that much anyway.

I have also noticed alot of commercials in HD and catch myself skipping back to watch them.This should tell them doing them in HD is working.

I've noticed this too. I especially like the new iPod commercial with all the colors flying around. They look so vibrant in HD.

I think you are onto something here. I have always said that anything in HD is worth watching for at least a little while. I am depressed since football is over so I found myself watching Canadian football the other night on the World sports HD channel, sad I know!

I've even been watching some golf because it's in HD, and I hate golf. Who new Pebble Beach was such a good lookin place???

The SA8300HD, isnt that the same box Comcast uses? If so, I know you can program a button to be a 30 second skip.. just do a web search for it. :)

If it isnt, ummmm Never mind :)
I believe that only works for Comcast's Motorola boxes (program the remote control), which I setup for my parents over Christmas - they are very, very happy. The SA boxes don't do skip forward so I'm stuck in purgatory with an 8 second jump back and FF.:(

With DVR "skip" feature who watches commercials? But when I sometimes hit one by mistake I have noticed more in HD. However the sound is still much louder than the program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts