Anyone noticing a huge increase in spam lately?

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
For the past 2 weeks I have been getting hundreds of spam e-mail from the same sources. Every 30 seconds I get a spam advertising the same thing. Teeth whitening, Get your PHD, Health insurance, Car insurance, Buy Gold, Life insurance, Diet pills, Nursing Degree, Black women want to Date you, Women over 50 looking for men over 60, etc etc- I have a good junk mail detector but these I have to manually set up. Since the Folder is now collecting close to 1500 spams a day, I have to manually empty it daily. I don't surf the net into strange web sites that would be known for malware but I wonder if others are seeing a big increase in spam lately.

Same here (thanks God for spam catchers/killers). I know a few months ago Target and a few others sent out notifications their email DBs were compromised. I attributed it to that.

I can't say I have. Almost 8 years using my Road Runner address and I have yet to receive a single piece of SPAM in my inbox, and I have no SPAM Filters enabled. The SPAM filters in Yahoo filter out the junk pretty good, but then again 99% of what goes to my Yahoo address is junk anyhow by design. I don’t even pay attention to my Gmail address as that’s only used for the Android Market.

If anything I am seeing less in my Gmail spam folder. It is deleted after 30 days, right now I have 122 in the spam folder. It used to run close to 200 all the time.

Its gotten so bad, that I forward all my mail to a Gmail address and then pull it from Gmail after its been through their spam filter.

The Gmail spam filter gets just about everything. I had a little issue last week with some Russian girl emailing me for a date, but I logged into Gmail and trained the spam filter to see it as Spam and it did the trick.

I would probably say Gmail filtered out 300 spam messages this weekend, and didn't let 1 spam message get in my inbox.

As far as Yahoo spam protection, I was paying them $20 per year for an account and it worked good at first but lets alot of things go by where I finally decided to switch to Gmail which was Free and does the job.

If people where not so fricken dumb to actually respond to that crap, or buy something off of a spam advertisement, we wouldn't have 90% of the spam we get today

Most of the spam I get goes into the spam part of my yahoo address. And most of the spam I get is due to a e-mail address we have here at Satelliteguys (for folks to e-mail manuals for free to air equipment to be posted in the downloads section) that is attached to my yahoo.

My satguys one has tons of it and thats why I dont use it ;)

Not really, but I do have to say that the scam artists are getting rather lazy, at least with my hotmail account. Seems like everyday I get one of those lottery/inheritance/interest account scam messages. I mean aren't those all Soooo 2008?

Sent from my iPad2 using SatelliteGuys super groovy app

I have never gotten a single spam email in my Comcast account. Great spam filters! I use my Gmail account for promotions and contests that I sign up for so it doesn't flood my main Comcast email.

I get 10 to 15 a day that goes automatically into my junk folder. I have a static ip address that (I think) makes me vulnerable.

While I am thinking about it, I wish my iPad had a spam filter or could install MS Office on it........ If Stevie would allow flash and MS Office on their pads they would own the market!

Frank Jr. said:
While I am thinking about it, I wish my iPad had a spam filter or could install MS Office on it........ If Stevie would allow flash and MS Office on their pads they would own the market!

Its not Steve Jobs who is preventing Microsoft from creating an Office app, it is Microsoft, :). Just like how there is no real google docs app on the iPad, but quick office hd works great.

On topic, have not noticed any differences in spam, if anything it has gotten better in the past year, Gmail catches 99% of it.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Dell 7" phone...

Anonymous vs. The World

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)