anyone pickup voom as a self install?

weagle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
just wondering anyone here was able to go to sears and pickup the receiver/dish install and activate it by yourself? this is the only way i can get voom.

I installed/activated my 2nd receiver by myself and Installs Inc was confused and flabbergasted when I called to activate it, they didn't quite know how to act. I think I was the first person they had talked to that was not an installer.

The reason I had to do this was that my installer forgot my 2nd stb when he came out, so I met him in Portland one day and brought it home and installed it myself.

is this installer from sears or independant store? I wish i could do the self install i live up in canada thats the only way I can pickup a unit to do a self install otherwise i will have problems if it was an independant satellite store i think one can negotiate ie take unit self install then call the satellite dealer to activate it.

interesting so indenpendent stores that do voom also do the installs for voom? sears on the other hand and voom themselves contract out to install inc which is what others are saying just want to double verify here i will be getting a voom system voom rocks.

I didn't exactly do a self install, but I did the next best thing. I ran all the cables myself before the installer got there. That way, when he showed up all I did was point him to the roof where the dish was to be mounted, told him "here is the cable" and handed him the loose end of 100' of RG6 that was run to my TV. By the way, when I asked Voom how many RG-6 cables i needed to run to my TV area, they told me I couldn't do it, only an authorized installer could run the cables. I knew that the installer wouldn't mind using cable that was already run, so I did it anyway.

In the TV room, I had a RG6, phone, DVI, toslink, svideo, and analog l/r cables hanging out of the TV stand waiting for the voom box. I hooked the box up myself and when the installer finished with the dish he called the 800 number and BAM, I was voomin. The svideo and toslink are for my homemade DVR (Shuttle PC).

I swear I wanted to kill the installer as he was telling me about the remote control. As if a guy with freakin ethernet run to his TV stand can't figure out a Voom remote. I let him tell me everything he wanted to anyway, just in case there was something useful in there.

--Dan

the installer still came to your house and presented you the unit at your house so technically it wasn't a self install. oh well can't wait til voom changes it policy and allow self installs if a lot of people rant maybe they will change their policy and I bet if they want more subscribers they're going to have to get rid of the $199 install price drop the price down to $300 without the install and let us self install.

speaking of billing can you ask them not to send you any bills or can you pay a fixed price ie 6 months of programming in advance and only get 1 bill type of thing? just wondering save me on mailboxes since there are ones that have no fee but high fees on each mail being forwarded and others yearly fees unlimited forwarding.

I installed 3 of my 4 boxes. I will move the service myself when I get a new home, too. They can take that relocation installation service charge and try and figure out what to do with it.

if you change billing addresses ie the address on the bill won't voom send out another installer and charge you another service charge to install?

another question 3 out of the 4 boxes you installed they didn't charge you a service charge for them? and how did they give you the box did they come to your house and give it to you or did you pick it up at the store or something? that is same guy you ordered the box from did he do the install or some outsourced company?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)