Anyone Playing with Windows 8 Beta?

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I just installed it on an old laptop I never use. It is pretty much the same as Windows 7 with an APP based window.

You need an Intel based tablet to experience the Metro UI.
I had it on a Viewsonic for a few days after release. Looks okay.

Waiting for the ARM version.

Diogen.

I did not install the beta but I probably will upgrade when it is released.
Not that impressed so far. It is exactly Windows 7 with an APP (tiles) based window start screen. You can leave the window and go to the icon and startup menu based Windows 7 window.

Yes, if you have a touch screen monitor or tablet, then this version is a definite plus

I'm running Windows 7 now - it's the last version of windows I'll be working with. Next computer upgrade I'll be switching to a Mac.
Just bought a MAC about a month ago, and still not impressed with them. My wife loves it though and since it is hers, that is all that matters

Does anyone know how to turn on, "Allow APPs to use my current location" on Windows 8? The weather tile on the start window uses a city that is not near me and will not allow me to change the city

Never mind. The computer I was using just caught fire, literally. It was a laptop that had a failed monitor and I was using it as a desktop plugged into a monitor. I guess the same short that caused the monitor to go out also caused the thing to catch fire.

I heard a noise, the screen went blank, smoke came out at the hinge where the monitor opens up, and a little flame came out. I immediately unplugged it and pulled out the battery. So much for that experiment. Maybe I can find another old laptop lying around and swap hard-drives

ETA: Found one, but it is IDE and the other one was Sata

I'm running Windows 7 now - it's the last version of windows I'll be working with. Next computer upgrade I'll be switching to a Mac.
This is the second Win8 thread turning into a dumpster.
Who the f*** was asking whether you like it?

Diogen.

diogen said:
This is the second Win8 thread turning into a dumpster.

Makes sense since windows 8 looks like it will be garbage. I've been a huge fan on Microsoft products in the past, but I think rebuilding their flagship product to mimic their mediocre mobile OS is a terrible idea. iPad copies are not the future, just ask HP, RIM, and Motorola.

Makes sense since windows 8 looks like it will be garbage. I've been a huge fan on Microsoft products in the past, but I think rebuilding their flagship product to mimic their mediocre mobile OS is a terrible idea. iPad copies are not the future, just ask HP, RIM, and Motorola.

Except they aren't rebuilding it if all they're doing is continuing to improve 7 in addition to introducing a consistent UI across all of their platforms.

If it improves on 7 it will be a winner, if it bloats it up and makes it more Vista like, then no thanks. The jury is most certainly still out unless you're predisposed one way or the other.

I'd consider a Mac, but moving to a platform that would cost me exponentially more out of pocket than the computers I build/have now doesn't make much sense, also owning a platform that is in the single digits market-wise doesn't go over too well when you enjoy gaming.

Widgets in the UI is by definition not a copy of the iPad btw :p The Apple walled garden strictly disallows anything that makes the tablet look like a desktop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)