Anyone remember last November's no contract offer?

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I switched from Voom to Dish last November and am now planning on switching to cable.

Most of our HD is OTA anyways and my cable company is offering me TWO Dual Tuner HD DVR's, all the channels, extra digital box, and a cable modem for $129 per month.

Right now I get DSL for $55 and Dish with locals, HD, Voom, 1 single tuner DVR and Top 120 for $75 and change.

I'm saving money, can say FU to the phone company since I have to pay for a phone line I never use and end up with 2 DVR's, both HD compatible.

So I call Dish last night and they tell me I am in a 1 year contract. I signed up last year, even posted about it http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=34353

Of course in that post I don't mention the open ended contract but I know that is the whole reason I switched is because I could leave at anytime.

They want to charge me $60.00 for early term but I don't have a contract. They said the retailer put it in the system wrong. I'm going to the retailer today to have him get my original contract out.

I have a copy, which is only initialed by me that shows No Commitement but worst case I will cancel Dish, let me charge me the money on my CC and dispute it with my copy of the contract if they give me a hassle today.

Having some backup as far as the promo's offered back then would really help.

I don't think I can search by date range either but I am 100 percent positive Dish offered open ended contracts back in that time period, it was a great promo because there were no fee's involved.

Thanks

Eric_C said:
All taken care of, dealer called Dish and got it straight.

And you were going to blame Dish for it when all the time it was the retailers fault, hmm.

Uh right....well Sparky it was Dish's fault.

My profile for Dish says 12 month contract so the CSR *assumed* I had a cancellation fee.

Seems they put all of the no contract people in as 12 month contracts, BUT there was no cancellation fee.

The person I spoke with didn't bother to read what my record said and assumed that I had a early termination fee.

Even when I called back after visiting the retailer they told me the same story, only after speaking to someone else did that person notice what the record really said.

The problem was they wanted to charge me a cancellation fee, which I was not to be charged.

it usually turns out that the CSR is the one to mess up, not the retailer. your local retailer is usually a dependable and reliable source. remember, he wants good words from you to your friends. if you love something, you tell 1-2 friends; if you hate it, you tell EVERYONE! :yes

LOL suzyq, that's TRUE! :D

With AT60, vonage, and DSL (including the landline), we pay 121 a month. Thing is, I have total portability with the VoIP line and the dish system, not to mention comcast.. well... they're pretty expensive here.

From what I can tell, digital cable starts at $53 a month, if you have DC they charge you $54 a month for internet...

$107, so I'd be paying $4 more to have well, pretty much the same thing -- except SBC, as much as I hate them, doesn't really care what you do with the DSL line, and comcast tends to be a bit more restrictive (they'll shut off more ports by default and if they catch you running a server.. well yeah.. then again a former friend of mine had comcast and ran a small webserver, no probs.... I dunno.. I just don't like the idea) ...

Plus I can grab a portable dish and take the sucker wherever I want :)

If satellite internet didn't suck so bad, I'd just have that too *sigh* maybe someday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)