anyone see the new ads?

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
Sorry if this is being discussed I have had my son all night, but anyone see the new Dish ad's? it talks about 70 HD channels with more to come, seems like they are finally starting to combat directv.

Yes, but did you see the Direct ad during the World Series game with the MEGA satellite and knocking the Dish satellite out of orbit?

"70 national hd channels NOW, 100 by the end of the year."

So far for the average consumer, D* is hitting home with its advertising. I think E* needs to step it up much more now than ever. This lack of introducing more HD while D* is doing it...concerns me. I really would feel much better if more of the premium channels were HD...D* seems to have much more now in that arena. Great selling point...If only E* would get more premiums in HD now after all of these free preview weeks????

Does anyone other than us even see those ads and does the average person even care?

Yes, the ads are on network stations. I have seen them during NASCAR and the WS.

The ads remind me of a Radio Shack ads from a few years back. E* really needs a better marketing department. There is just way to much going on and even though you are watching the ad you never remember seeing it.

They need something that people will be talking about at the water cooler at work. Like the mac ads, simply and well thought out. Not just a lot of words and skewed images.

Maybe something like a talking satellite dish gaining weight with all the HD that it is receiving. Or, having people sitting in front of their HD TVs and the TV gets up and walks away joining other TVs walking down the street dragging D* dishes and cable lines. All the TVs end up peeking in the window and watch the TV connect to E*.

Just some quick ideas.....

So far for the average consumer, D* is hitting home with its advertising. I think E* needs to step it up much more now than ever. This lack of introducing more HD while D* is doing it...concerns me. I really would feel much better if more of the premium channels were HD...D* seems to have much more now in that arena. Great selling point...If only E* would get more premiums in HD now after all of these free preview weeks????

It does seem odd that Dish is offering free weekends on its premium channels. One right after another. I have only been with Dish for a year. Can someone out there tell me when Dish did this in the past, was the hd channel offerd also?? It just seems odd to keep offering this weekend after weekend. I know they offer promos and rebates. Maybe I am reaching also.:)

It does seem odd that Dish is offering free weekends on its premium channels. One right after another. I have only been with Dish for a year. Can someone out there tell me when Dish did this in the past, was the hd channel offerd also?? It just seems odd to keep offering this weekend after weekend. I know they offer promos and rebates. Maybe I am reaching also.:)
Before about a month ago, there had not been any previews for a long time. Though not reflected in ratings, the premiums want to be able to show increased subscriptions in conjunction with the new TV season. Last I read in WSJ, subscriptions are down. Thus the free previews, not only on Dish but the cables as well. The irony is, with the free previews, you can tell first hand there isn't much to watch, so why subscribe?

Very impressive propaganda

Yes, but did you see the Direct ad during the World Series game with the MEGA satellite and knocking the Dish satellite out of orbit?

"70 national hd channels NOW, 100 by the end of the year."

It's also on other channels; it is very impressive propaganda for the average viewer that does not have HD. Really sends a visual message across.

I'm one that doesn't buy that much into the ads of most companies but I must say most of my old buds in Florida who are now calling me asking me about these ads from both Dish and DirecTV have all said they are far more impressed with the HD lineup with DirecTV. Sorry but Voom may have some very good content but when it comes to the average Joe who are the ones calling me the last two weeks I get the feeling that SciFi HD is worth five Voom channels they have never heard of. Most of my friends have been saying they would miss SciFi HD far more than "all" of those Voom channels even though they admit they have never ever seen them. That to me is very telling and also very bad for Dish Network from my point of view.

Also all of my friends have said that the music in those DirecTV ads along with the deep voice got their attention right away. Once they had a glance of the HD they saw some big name HD channels on that big satellite such as USA Network and SciFI HD network right when they are hearing 70 HD channels now etc. Without a doubt this ad hit right home with all my friends and they all said it was one of the best non superbowl 90s generation ads they have ever seen.

Now my point of view is that these ads are very good and well done and do exactly what they are designed todo which is attract attention and get them fixated and curious until the very end and "maybe" entice them to the DirecTV website to see "what" other good HD channels they now have in addition to SciFi HD etc. Say what you will about DirecTV but they sure have the TV ads down to a pure science from my point of view.

Sorry if this is being discussed I have had my son all night, but anyone see the new Dish ad's? it talks about 70 HD channels with more to come, seems like they are finally starting to combat directv.

No they aren't. They're just exaggerating the amount of channels they have again. Finding new and creative ways of "re-counting" them to make it seem like they have as many as D*. :rolleyes:

Yes, the ads are on network stations. I have seen them during NASCAR and the WS.

The ads remind me of a Radio Shack ads from a few years back. E* really needs a better marketing department. There is just way to much going on and even though you are watching the ad you never remember seeing it.

They need something that people will be talking about at the water cooler at work. Like the mac ads, simply and well thought out. Not just a lot of words and skewed images.

Maybe something like a talking satellite dish gaining weight with all the HD that it is receiving. Or, having people sitting in front of their HD TVs and the TV gets up and walks away joining other TVs walking down the street dragging D* dishes and cable lines. All the TVs end up peeking in the window and watch the TV connect to E*.

Just some quick ideas.....

The cable pig was great, but whoever designed that one must have quit, because the ads just went back to BLAH after that campaign. Some genius decide a lame, unentertaining campaign based around the phrase "better tv for all" was a good idea. Of course, how could they not see the retort D* came up with coming? "There's good TV, Better TV, and DirecTV." They really need to hire a new marketing firm.

I am watching the World Series and I saw one of Dish ads. It said the same ole thing about over 70 national hd channels ( yea right). Then it said with more on the way. First time I heard that.

DId anyone catch the split second message "with a DVR better than TIVO?"

If they want to go somewhere they need to hammer that their DVR is better than D*'s. Because there a few of us right now in satellite limbo ( who don't have either D* OR E*) who are VERY interested in a GREAT DVR, not just oodles of BS HD channels that I'll never watch. IMO if E* cannot obtain MORE service, they damn well have much BETTER service if they ever want to keep a market share,IMO.:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts