Anyone still using 510's?

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
I see alot of posts about the newer DVR machines, but not too much about the 510's. Is this because they are old and perhaps a little antiquated? I was wondering how other people like them as I have 2. They are very impressive work horses. I am on a lease with Dish. I like the user friendliness of DVR's. I used to always be programming my VCR's & DVD recorders. Two hours is not much time with them. :cool:

I have a 508 sitting in my closet, but while it was active, I would have to say it was my most reliable/stable receiver to date.

I've had mine for over a year and it has worked pretty well so far. Just recently I noticed a few glitches but all in all a trustworthy unit.

I have a 508, 510 and a 721. All work pretty well. The 508/510 are the most stable DVR's. I have had no issues with either. The 721 has a few glitches, but I have not had a single missed timer on any of the three in well over a year...

I had my 510 for about a year now and I've never once had a problem with it.
Except for the NBR issue :rolleyes: I have to say its the best receiver I've had yet. :)

I have a 942 and an active 510 both hooked to our main set. I love my 942 and my wife loves the 510. I've tried to convince my wife that all we really need is the 942 but she refuses to part with the 510 because she doesn't really care about hd and the 510 delivers a great sd picture and is very reliable.

I have the 510's grandfather running in my bedroom. My trusty 501 does it's job well.

The reason you never see any posts about the 5XX series, is one simple reason. THEY WORK!

mwgiii said:
I have the 510's grandfather running in my bedroom. My trusty 501 does it's job done.

The reason you never see any posts about the 5XX series, is one simple reason. THEY WORK!
Yup. I've got a 501 & 921. When I REALLY want to make sure I record something, it goes into the 501.

say bye to the 510's

the bad news about the 510is that it is not discontinued. At our last meeting(atm) our gm informed us that the 510 is no longer in production and once stock is depleted we will install 522's (( even on one rec. installs)) until they are used up and then finally move on to the 625. forcing u to have a phone line--and it helps up track where your rec.is at for those people who cheat and have one account with four rec. but in 3 or 4 different homes

I have a 510 sealed in the package that I would like to sell. I used to use one but when one went bad I got another one from Dish Network as a replacement and never opened it up from the box. I have 522's therefore I dont need the 510. It does not seem like there are very many interested in the 510 like they used to be.

New customer promo's no longer include the 510, 508, 501 recievers, however you can get a 510 under the dishin it up promo for existing customers still. If your a new customer and want a dvr for one tv you will get a 522 or 625 now.

It really sucks for the people with no phone line, and no desire to have a second tuner.

E* is screwing them out of $5/month - on top of the $5/month "screw you, it's a DVR" fee.

I got a 510 about two years ago for Free from Dish w/ a 2yr commitment. My commit is finally about to expire in Nov. :D But I likely won't switch anyway.

The 510 has been rock solid and a higly reliable receiver. It is also quiet enough to keep in a bedroom.

I've got a 508 upstairs in the family room that everyone in the family just loves! It's been flawless for the three years I've had it. We really miss it downstairs in the HDTV setup. I really would like a HD-DVR but am waiting for the MPEG-4 dust to settle before shelling out the money.

rthomp03 said:
I've got a 508 upstairs in the family room that everyone in the family just loves! It's been flawless for the three years I've had it. We really miss it downstairs in the HDTV setup. I really would like a HD-DVR but am waiting for the MPEG-4 dust to settle before shelling out the money.

I've got two 508's that we've had for a few years. Absolutely no problems! Just got a Plasma for our MBR and managed to swing the $250 lease/upgrade to a 942. Will use the 942 on the Plasma and use both 508's on my twelve-year-old Sony 53" RPTV. (Haven't yet thought about how to utilize the two 508's with my Harmony Remote, but what is life for but the resolutions of problems. :D )

i have had my 510 for a lil over a year,i use a cell phone so i really cant put a phone line in.so i luv it just for that reason alone,any issues with installing 522,625,or even 322 good idea is wireless phone systems...60 dollars at walmart...

pre-510

I have a 508 and won't put up with anything else.
No stupid DVR fee.
Easy video extraction.
Used to have pretty good reliability, but since firmware P300 it's gone down hill.

BEV doesn't know how to run them, so DVRs of all sort suck on their system.
Otherwise, I'd have the same there.

If StarChoice had a standard resolution PVR, I'd be with them, too.

Larrykay said:
I have a 510 and it sounds like a lawn mower when I shut it off.
Have to pull the plug so I can sleep :(
That doesn't sound right. Maybe you're a light sleeper?
Though, I do notice more noise out of mine lately.
Let's blame that firmware 'till they can prove otherwise! lol
But seriously, now...
To shut it down and be much quieter, try pulling out the smart card (half way is fine).
That should park the hard drive. See if that's good enough for ya. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts