Anyone Subscribed To DISH FAMILY?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kaptainkidshow

Original poster
Jun 4, 2006
As a totally green newbie to this forum, I'm located in Calvert County Maryland... about 50 miles outside of Washington DC.

I've been recruited (as the designated geek in the 'hood) by a truly sweet little-old-lady to locate a subscriber to the DISH FAMILY package.

If you've had any experience with DISH FAMILY, I'd be greatly indebted if you would fill me in ... as would my widow neighbor!

Sincere thanks in advance,

Kap

Last edited:
kaptainkidshow, Yes I have Dish family. What do what to know? The list of channels for $19.99 is clearly displayed at Dish network's website. Also don't ask for emails on site like this. Most of us like to be anonymous to avoid spammers. Don't be suprised if you see lots of spam pumped to the email address you posted. Boba, I totally disagree with you! You get all channels advertised in the DishFamily. Locals are extra for all packages even America's (almost) Everything. Yes no free previews, but if you want that garbage PAY FOR IT. If was paying for HBO I would be mad if I did not get a 1 week credit since everyone else was getting it for free. Also yes you have to ask for the free PIs... I did that and have them no big deal. I guess I am odd since I watch mostly locals (4 PBSs with NYC locals), cartoons and Fox news. I would be paying $70/month for these channels with cablevision + 10/month for DVR since I would be forced to get many channels I'd never watch. I have 508 so don't pay a monthly DVR fee.

Last edited:
If your very concerned with what your kids watch or your of a sensitive nature or about to fall into the pool of religious salvation then its worth it. Personaly its not for me, some things that I consider that should be in the package are not such as national geographic or cartoon network are not in there to name a few and others that I dont think should be in there such as the shopping channels and the overly biases news channels.

Personaly I dont recommend satellite for anyone that is close to retirement age or past it, the remotes and the overal navigation and function of the receivers and programming is rather difficult for most technologicly impaired senior customers to use and generaly results in them being very frustrated with having multiple service calls to educate and get the tv and receiver back on the proper channels or they cancel out service altogether.

Kap:Welcome to the Forum! Your the geek you should print out the different choices she can get with different packages and she can choose which channels she would like to buy.I'm talking all the providers she can get tell her the total cost
Then if she chooses Dish Family show her how to reset a receiver.We don't call it
Dishnot work for nothing!.

To all who replied:

I appreciate your feedback!

Special thanks to THE TICK for his report of first-hand experience with Dish Family.

I have removed my email address from my original post as suggested, but private messages via the forum are still welcomed. All input is helpful for a newbie.

Gratefully,

Kap

I have Dish Family

With Dish family You get CNNHeadline news not CNN.You also get the Hallmark movie Channel which is exclusive to the family package.If you like Hallmark Movies then you wil like that.I think its the best deal anywhere myself.

If the family pack wasn't missing a few of the channels from the AT60 that I really like, I would probably be subscribed to the family pack.

Hallmark Movie Channel is only useful with a DVR. Their advertisement to program ratio is about 35 percent - 6 mins of ads for every 10 mins of movie.

BTW, I can explain the lack of Cartoon Network on Dish Family in two words: Adult Swim. :) The programming especially during this time block is objectionable for many ADULTS! :)

Anyway, at least Boomerang is available with Dish Family

See ya
Tony

Pepper said:
Hallmark Movie Channel is only useful with a DVR. Their advertisement to program ratio is about 35 percent - 6 mins of ads for every 10 mins of movie.
Well no one said it was a premium channel it has no more ads than say tbs or USA or abc family etc.

Van said:
If your very concerned with what your kids watch or your of a sensitive nature or about to fall into the pool of religious salvation then its worth it. Personaly its not for me, some things that I consider that should be in the package are not such as national geographic or cartoon network are not in there to name a few and others that I dont think should be in there such as the shopping channels and the overly biases news channels.

Personaly I dont recommend satellite for anyone that is close to retirement age or past it, the remotes and the overal navigation and function of the receivers and programming is rather difficult for most technologicly impaired senior customers to use and generaly results in them being very frustrated with having multiple service calls to educate and get the tv and receiver back on the proper channels or they cancel out service altogether.

Does Dish still have the simplified oversized remote that use to be available? I would think that would help people with concerns over the regularly supplied remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)