Anyone use an SA Tivo w/ IR Blasters?

pfef98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Pace, FL
I was wondering if anyone is using a Standalone Tivo with IR blasters on a 301 or 322. How slow are the channel changes on that setup? Obviously they're going to be slower than the Tivo by itself.

btw, I know about the 'problem' with standalone DVRs and the 322, I'm just more worried how usable it is on a daily basis.

Thanks.

--Matt

With my SA TiVo and 301 (using a medium speed blaster setting), I find things work just fine. Not too much different than using digital cable and the IR blaster.

Channel changes take approximately 4-5 seconds. If I were to switch to the fast setting it is still about the same. Honestly, response time is about the same as if I were using the Dish Network remote.

On the other hand, if using a SA TiVo, one doesn't tend to channel surf all that much, so the lost few seconds are not that big of a deal. For me, the worst thing is when I switch from my local NBC evening news to a "distant local" (that term still makes me smile) NBC for saturday night live. ("Why?", you might wonder, well the reason is simple, PQ.) I miss a few seconds of SNL each week. Oh well.

Redrhino

I have a 322 set to 'Fast' spped. I really don't miss any time on a program. Channel changes are slower than when I had cable. When a channel changes, the screen blacks out for a second. Then the old channel reappears before the Dish tuner kicks in.

Four to five seconds seems to be about right for the time it takes to change.

I have my SA Tivo connected to my 811. Doesn't work too bad. Channel changing is a little slow compared to watching it directly. I find using the built in tivo guide really helps. Even thought it's kinda ugly it works pretty good.

mrschwarz said:
I have a 322 set to 'Fast' spped. I really don't miss any time on a program. Channel changes are slower than when I had cable. When a channel changes, the screen blacks out for a second. Then the old channel reappears before the Dish tuner kicks in.

Four to five seconds seems to be about right for the time it takes to change.

Do you have the "screensaver" problem with your 322? Also, ever have any trouble with misfires? I'm just curious because I may eventually end up switching to dish.

I currently have d* with one of the executive director recievers. It's a great reciever, as it has a serial port, so channel changes are very fast and 100% accurate. I am very happy with just about everything regarding d*, however e* has my locals, wb (superstations) and with e* I would recieve the proper RSN.

I set up a timer to turn the recever on at 4 am (1 hour after the update). Since I did that, I haven't had a black screen or misfire. It records more reliably than the 522 PVR.

I use a Pioneer DVD SA TiVo with a 322. The problem with the 322 is that there are no timers. So every morning I wake up with that darn screensaver. I tried turning off daily updates, but eventually you'll get hit with a dialog box asking to update data. Usually that happens when you change channels.

I am not the happiest with the 322, but so far I can live with it. My SA TiVo and the 322 change channels well, and I have not had one misfire.

I have two TiVos. One with a 311 and the other with an 811. Channel changing takes 4-5 seconds with either one. Use your Dish remote for channels hopping, but be sure to set it back on the channel that TiVo think it is on when you are through channel hopping.

I have 2 SA TiVos (Series 1 & Series 2) both connected to separate 301 boxes using IR blasters. TiVos are in separate rooms and work fine with Dish boxes but I do note that the TiVo time and the Dish time are sometimes off by one minute. I leave the 301 on all the time so I get the TiVo ad junk that TiVos runs on Discovery about 2 AM. Set up may be easier for me because I have two 811s for real time veiwing.
In summary Standard Def Dish/TiVo works But as jerryez correctly noted if you view real time output from the same box that is feeding TiVo you must be careful.

Grandpa J said:
I have 2 SA TiVos (Series 1 & Series 2) both connected to separate 301 boxes using IR blasters. TiVos are in separate rooms and work fine with Dish boxes but I do note that the TiVo time and the Dish time are sometimes off by one minute. I leave the 301 on all the time so I get the TiVo ad junk that TiVos runs on Discovery about 2 AM. Set up may be easier for me because I have two 811s for real time veiwing.
In summary Standard Def Dish/TiVo works But as jerryez correctly noted if you view real time output from the same box that is feeding TiVo you must be careful.

Most likely the tivo time is correct, it uses NTP to sync the clock everytime it dials home.

So, the consensus seems to be that SA Tivo with Dish receivers is really no problem, just a little more complicated than normal.
I'm fretting over choosing between DISH and DirecTV, I could get an RCA receiver for D* and use a serial cable with no problem with my SA, BUT the only thing is, I'm in an area where NRTC sells service and they charge like $7 more a month, AND I don't really care about NFL Sunday Ticket. I know the NRTC thing is over now, but I don't know when it's REALLY going to take effect, the D* people don't know anything on the phone.

The other thing is that E* has my locals NOW, and D* is supposed to have them up and running on June 10th, I'm moving into the new house (which is when I'll want service) on the 14th of June, so really that's probably not an issue.

I'm just a little worried about reliability with the IR blasters and DISH hardware.

--Matt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts