Anyone use Nomad?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lnbchris

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
Cleveland
I use a Genie HR44 and I'm just trying to figure out what additional equipment what I might need, what file format it saves to the PC, and whether or not the file format is encrypted in any way.

It's marketing name now is the geniego but same thing. It is the only hardware needed provided you already have Internet and have the DirecTV system connected to the Internet. The file is a proprietary format and cannot be transferred to another PC or device. You could call it encrypted though it's not really, it just can't be opened with any other application.

Thanks for that, I'm just checking out what my options are here and what might be most practical for me.

Absolutely. If you are looking for remote viewing of recordings I think geniego is the way to go. I like the ability to transfer recordings, although it can take a while, for plane rides or areas without Internet or cell service. I also like the UI on the device rather than trying to remotely control the UI with something like slingbox. If you are looking to watch live TV remotely the slingbox would be a better bet. You can sort of still do live TV with the geniego but it's kind of a pain. I have and use both.

With geniego you only have to buy the device for usually $99. All the apps are free and there is no monthly charge. The slingbox you have to buy the device plus the app for each OS, but also no monthly charge.

Also worth noting, you can remotely stream on wifi or 3G/4G on android devices but only via Wifi on iOS devices. I haven't heard if this will change in the future. Rather annoying on my iPad with built in LTE.

I'm not sure the format it saves on the PC but it is encrypted and custom so to speak to the Genie Go software. I've never read of anyone breaking that encryption (or even of anyone trying so to speak). That may be partly just because not that many people use the Genie Go.

I have one and use it to download content to the iPad or iPhone when I'll be without bandwidth for a while (long trips, air travel, etc).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts