Anyone Using 811 & Philips DVDR985?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ilaudio

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
I have run the component out to my Samsung TV, composite to my tv as well as a composite and s-video to the Philips DVDR985 DVD recorder. The 811 is very dark on recording s-video or composite. The weird thing is, the composite directly into the tv is brighter than running it throught the 985---progressive scan output from 985 to tvs component in. I even tried running the component out of 811 to 985 then to tv....quality was no better. I had a 4900 receiver that recorded beautifully...but wanted HD.

Anyone have any suggestions how to get best recording using 811 & dvdr985?

I am assuming the philips component ins are limited thats why the picture is not passed through at same quality.

ilaudio said:
I have run the component out to my Samsung TV, composite to my tv as well as a composite and s-video to the Philips DVDR985 DVD recorder. The 811 is very dark on recording s-video or composite. The weird thing is, the composite directly into the tv is brighter than running it throught the 985---progressive scan output from 985 to tvs component in. I even tried running the component out of 811 to 985 then to tv....quality was no better. I had a 4900 receiver that recorded beautifully...but wanted HD.

Anyone have any suggestions how to get best recording using 811 & dvdr985?

I am assuming the philips component ins are limited thats why the picture is not passed through at same quality.

The dark video on the s-video and composite outputs of the 811 are a known problem. DishNet has a software update coming out, perhaps next week, that is supposed to fix this. Also keep in mind that even though your DVD recorder has component inputs you will not record in HD, just SD.

ilaudio said:
I even tried running the component out of 811 to 985 then to tv....quality was no better.

Without 480i I wouldn't expect this to work.

From my 921 I've done ok with the S-Video. With the 811 you may have to wait for the dark picture fix (next software rev).

Also, you might want to set up the 811 to do letterboxing when recording widescreen material (a 4x3 mode).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)